For Those Of You Interested - The Next Bacteria Project

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
Not GP2x related, but then a number of postings here aren't these days as most topics have been done to death.

For those of you who are interested in my project work and system/console modding, you might be interested to keep tabs on my latest, and biggest project, a multi-platform console system; unique, as no-one else has succeeded in making one to date. It is also potentially a far more complicated project than anything I have made before and needs lots of planning, but I believe I can pull it off: WIP : HERE

I have emulators on my PC for the old systems, and ROMs too; that was got my interest in console gaming in the first place - especially in the N64 and SNES. It is far more satisfying playing an original game on an original console system; and anyway, emulators aren't always accurate. I have a big N64 collection (almost all PAL games, about 82 or so in my collection) and 24 SNES games (all over a few days), this will grow to at least double.

Holy crap, that's quite a project! I have a suggestion, though. From the looks of it, you're making this a portable. How about making it so you can disconnect the main system from the screen and controls, and use it on a standard TV?

bacteria said:
I have emulators on my PC for the old systems, and ROMs too; that was got my interest in console gaming in the first place - especially in the N64 and SNES. It is far more satisfying playing an original game on an original console system; and anyway, emulators aren't always accurate. I have a big N64 collection (almost all PAL games, about 82 or so in my collection) and 24 SNES games (all over a few days), this will grow to at least double.

just trying to save you some headache..thats a really complicated project ..i also have one of the nes game pad. reminds me of the psp analog stick ..if your after games check out local charity shops aswell as bootsales and church sales....i pick up a box for £5 at a church sale with a psp 1 complete - sega saturn complete - mastersystem2 complete and about 50 games...she was clearing the stall at the end of sale and through everything into a box..i asked how much for the lot and she said £5..lol....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
idea just popped into my head..have you thought about making a ps1 portable..integrated controls \ screen\ console and battery's ?

I have a suggestion for the pin layout of the n64 cart connector. I would post at benheck, but I am not registered there.

Anyway, you should run the respective power and negative (ground) connections on pins that are adjacent. That is, make pin 25 7.5V power and pin 26 7.5V negative and so on. This helps reduce noise on those power lines. It may not make a difference in your project, but it is a standard design practice that I thought you might want to consider.

Good luck with this project. I can't wait to see what you end up creating.

Yrx said:
Holy crap, that's quite a project! I have a suggestion, though. From the looks of it, you're making this a portable. How about making it so you can disconnect the main system from the screen and controls, and use it on a standard TV?
Yes, this system will be portable. It would be very easy to make it work on a standard TV too, I could easily make composite and stereo output to TV, although I doubt I would use it - I have the space for it (top of system, between batteries, under the universal cart slot. As I have space, I most probably will include this feature for fun. ;)

fatdad said:
just trying to save you some headache..thats a really complicated project ..i also have one of the nes game pad. reminds me of the psp analog stick ..if your after games check out local charity shops aswell as bootsales and church sales....i pick up a box for £5 at a church sale with a psp 1 complete - sega saturn complete - mastersystem2 complete and about 50 games...she was clearing the stall at the end of sale and through everything into a box..i asked how much for the lot and she said £5..lol....:)
Yup, complicated, but very do-able with careful planning. Never found any console stuff at charity shops, but I love car boot sales. I hope you play the consoles you got, if you don't, I would be happy to pay postage for them... ;)

fatdad said:
idea just popped into my head..have you thought about making a ps1 portable..integrated controls \ screen\ console and battery's ?
I am going to see if I can put in a second analogue joystick into the system, in which case I can certainly include a PS1 and GameCube into this multi-system. I will just have to lose two buttons I don't need from the design to make the space (ie 6 not 8).

donny662 said:
I have a suggestion for the pin layout of the n64 cart connector. I would post at benheck, but I am not registered there.

Anyway, you should run the respective power and negative (ground) connections on pins that are adjacent. That is, make pin 25 7.5V power and pin 26 7.5V negative and so on. This helps reduce noise on those power lines. It may not make a difference in your project, but it is a standard design practice that I thought you might want to consider.

Good luck with this project. I can't wait to see what you end up creating.
Fair enough, I will incorporate this; makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
i myself collected everything console \ game related .i also collect old battery game systems made by grandstand \ Nintendo etc....have about a dozen in there original box's with the receipt of the original purchase... 1 of the best retro shops i have found is in Smithfield market in Belfast...the owner has thousands of game carts and disks for every console you can think of..

Back