For All Those Perterbed About The Bank Issues

shadow.8 said:
Instead of Craig and Co. just saying "Oh well, tough luck" he is steping and upgrading all the Pandoras for something that may only affect a small number of orders. I think that if there isn't some major issue in another area due to the new RAM size, this should be great news to everyone.

To be fair, I'm quite certain that the extra RAM had already been decided upon weeks ago, and was originally intended to be a surprise, something extra special to the early adopters; an upgrade at no extra charge. All the clues were there, at the least that something special was coming for early orders.
But then this thing with the bank happened, and in order to quell the riots, the proverbial cat was let out of its bag. I'm pretty sure that was the intention, but it appears to have backfired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon you're exactly right, WizardStan. And I'm okay with that.

The only thing that perturbs me is something which is completely out of craigix's control, which is currency fluctuations.

Gruso said:
I kinda hate digging up Craig's posts like this (it must be tiring having every post treated as gospel) but here goes anyway. From the "Stock Gonna Be Like Wii?" thread:

craigix said:
There is still big demand now to get on the preorder list, and closer to the time we may have some extra slots available from people who have canceled orders or from orders which turned out to be fake (always some).
So there may be some extra units up for grabs, but if you're asking for one now, you're probably way too late. ;)

They should be reserved for developers IMO

Gruso said:
I guess most interested devs would have ordered theirs already, but if there are any on the waiting list, I agree.
Some more Maemo devs might jump on board :)

Phawx said:
I will buy more. I'd like another two.
So a total of four.

SAME. Although, unlike what others are implying on this forum, I want them for development.

Karel Jansens said:
mali said:
Gruso said:
I guess most interested devs would have ordered theirs already, but if there are any on the waiting list, I agree.

As long as they don't intend to bring Maemo to the Pandora, I'm good.

:lol:
I know your attitude towards Maemo from ITT, but I won't comment on it :)

mali said:
Karel Jansens said:
mali said:
Gruso said:

As long as they don't intend to bring Maemo to the Pandora, I'm good.

:lol:
I know your attitude towards Maemo from ITT, but I won't comment on it :)

you just did

PoisonedV said:
you just did
Ok, let's say I won't evaluate it ;)

Ok, that implies that I don't agree with it, to shorten the nitpicking ;)

Ahaha, yeah, I get it, just jokin around.
Don't see why he would be AGAINST bringing maemo to the pandora- there may be better alternatives but are there any negative effects of making a pandora version?

PoisonedV said:
Don't see why he would be AGAINST bringing maemo to the pandora- there may be better alternatives but are there any negative effects of making a pandora version?
I won't talk for Karel, he would say himself, if he wanted. I don't see negative effects, it would fit perfectly on Pandora. There are unfortunately some legal issues with closed components, like flash, microB, and power management stuff. There is definitely one dev who has announced to port some Maemo parts. Someone from Nokia said, that they wouldn't sue someone, who hacks a Maemo for Pandora. I've heard, that most if not all of Maemo 4 will be opened when Maemo 5 is out sometime next year. We will see. Maybe we could get a license from adobe for Maemo flash. The interesting part would be to have access to the large Maemo repo, if we manage to get Maemo working on Pandora. Many, many good handheld optimized apps :)

PoisonedV said:
Nokia has clearly made up its mind about Maemo: It is to rapidly evolve into the iPhone (<spit!>) ecosphere of content consuming products only. Pandora is anything but a content consuming product, so Maemo, as the iPhone's (<spit!>) OS/UI (whatever it may be), is not fit for the Pandora, because it would severely limit the device's possibilities.

Or why do you think it is that Nokia tablets' power users have switched to KDE, or even full-on Debian?

Karel Jansens said:
PoisonedV said:
Nokia has clearly made up its mind about Maemo: It is to rapidly evolve into the iPhone (<spit!>) ecosphere of content consuming products only. Pandora is anything but a content consuming product, so Maemo, as the iPhone's (<spit!>) OS/UI (whatever it may be), is not fit for the Pandora, because it would severely limit the device's possibilities.

Or why do you think it is that Nokia tablets' power users have switched to KDE, or even full-on Debian?

KDE and Debian aren't even the same type of thing. Let the people who want Maemo have Maemo. It's not like Craig and Co. will make Maemo the default OS.

-God Ginrai

Karel Jansens said:
PoisonedV said:

I don't want to begin an in depth discussion about this. I've also intalled KDE an my N800 on SD boot, but for the normal lazy surfing, checking mails etc. I prefer Maemo, because it's just perfect for content consuming ;) We would have access to many apps without having to port them. That would be a flying start.

I accept your standpoint and am happy to tinker with Angström. But non the less I love to have several opportunities :)

PoisonedV said:
LOL. Debian is an operating system, dude, and it can USE kde.
If you don't know the specifics of the Nokia Internet Tablet situation, further discussion is futile. Suffise to say that in NIT parlance, they are not identical.

mali said:
I don't want to begin an in depth discussion about this. I've also intalled KDE an my N800 on SD boot, but for the normal lazy surfing, checking mails etc. I prefer Maemo, because it's just perfect for content consuming ;) We would have access to many apps without having to port them. That would be a flying start.

I accept your standpoint and am happy to tinker with Angström. But non the less I love to have several opportunities :)
Choice is indeed always better, but I'm afraid for the Pandora to turn into another Nokia Tablet. Maemo is a road that seems open, but has several nasty hairpins over the horizon. Compatibility is one of them; what version of Maemo exactly will be supported? And what'll happen when/if Nokia releases Fremantle? Or the next, very likely backwardly incompatible, version?

Karel Jansens said:
PoisonedV said:
LOL. Debian is an operating system, dude, and it can USE kde.
If you don't know the specifics of the Nokia Internet Tablet situation, further discussion is futile. Suffise to say that in NIT parlance, they are not identical.

mali said:

Choice is indeed always better, but I'm afraid for the Pandora to turn into another Nokia Tablet. Maemo is a road that seems open, but has several nasty hairpins over the horizon. Compatibility is one of them; what version of Maemo exactly will be supported? And what'll happen when/if Nokia releases Fremantle? Or the next, very likely backwardly incompatible, version?

Let's see what happens, and if Maemo is possible on Pandora or maybe at least a hacked OS that can run Diablo stuff. I think that Fremantle actually is a much simpler task, because it will run on nearly identical hardware like the P. has. Lardman said, that he bought his P. as a devboard for Nokias next device. Maybe he will be satisfied with P. and won't buy a N900 any more, who knows. I like the idea, that devs code for both systems, it's good for the devs to have a larger audience and good for us to have more choice and good software :)

Back