So, my bank thinks I might be a terrorist.

agwellin

Still Fresh
Trying hard to get my hands on one of these awesome little Pandora things, but apparently a $542 debit charge to the UK is enough to mark me as a possible identity thief and horrible person. <_<

So now my order is suspended until i call the bank and sort it out.

And I can't call the bank until Monday. GRRRR. :angry:

Anyway, just venting. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst my bank made when I transferred a large amount of cash to a company, was to send me a mail.

The content of this mail can be summarized as "Woah, there is a large amount of cash going away from you account, so we are sending this warning mail. If it wasn't you contact us ASAP!".
laugh.gif

lol, If only my bank was that non-crappy. "Oh no! He bought something expensive that they don't make in America! Lock his account! Freeze it! FREEEEZEEEE ITTTTTTTTT!"

Okay so they didn't go THAT far, but you get the idea.

I thought banks had a policy of stating they never commnicate by email as only pshing scams do?

Anyway my bank refused to let me draw money at ATMs in France recently. I had to ring them to explain I was on holiday and the fact they were refusing my visa transactions (recognised in umpteen countries in theory) to prevent possible bank fraud, was going nowhere to toward portecting me from the biggest theft from my finances of late. That caused by greedy troughing bankers themselves getting bailed out to re-deem their fictional gambling stubs winnings, from the tax payers pocket! Criminals the lot of them :)

Well, the mail just said that there was a bank transfer of XXX€ to the account [accountNumber].

No connection link or anything else.

And mail is pretty much the only way to talk to Keytrade bank since there are no physical banks except one in Brussels.
laugh.gif

My credit card has done this to me several times. I use it almost exclusively for gas, so when I was in the US a few months back and needed a new phone, I figured I would just pop into T-Mobile and buy one which I'd had my eyes on and was compatible with my network (which also isn't available in Canada). Declined.

I managed to find a bank machine and pay with cash (for some reason US store machines don't like my debit card, I have to find an ATM to withdraw money) so that sorted that for a while. When I got home, found out they had frozen my account because a $500 purchase in Delaware was a red flag on an account that had almost nothing but $50 purchases in Toronto. They'd tried to call me to verify at the time, but there was a reason I needed to buy a new phone. ;)

Sure, buying an OpenSource device HAS to be a terroristic activity.

I mean, proper people buy proper closed systems from Sony, don't they? :D

Sure, buying an OpenSource device HAS to be a terroristic activity.

I mean, proper people buy proper closed systems from Sony, don't they? :D

You're making fun of American ideals! Therefore you must be a terrorist too!

It's spreading like Communism!

Terrorists, Communists, and now ED's hiding under people's beds? I suppose next Craig is going to become a Neo-Nazi.

My ED hides under the bed sheets, but not the bed itself.

We're talking about erectile dysfunction, right?

Edit: Oh, evildragon, got it. Thanks.

Has this happened to you before, agwellin? In the past few months, I've ordered a number of big-ticket items, and I've had different responses to each. First one was a camera, in which case the company called me up to confirm the charge with me. The second was a phone, in which case the company had to have me AND my bank on the phone at the same time AND I had to supply some credentials. With the last one, I have a feeling it had something to do with the whole Sony debacle, and while it's a pain, I much rather have the peace-of-mind that my bank is looking out for me than none at all. ;)

No, they don't think you're a terrorist, nor do they think you're stealing someone's identity, nor are they antagonistic towards Pandora (I doubt they even looked at what he's ordering). They just flagged what they considered an unusual purchase in the event that someone was stealing YOUR account. It happened to me before too, and yes it was annoying, but ultimately I'd rather put up with a few false positives than them failing to catch when something like this actually happens.

I get flagged all the time by my LOCAL bank. CREDIT UNIONS are good too. If you want to talk about terrorists, let's talk Bank of Amerikkka, Chase, & Citigroup to start. And let's not forget Barclay who snagged penny's from all of us preorders by the £.

Call your CREDIT UNION and clear the charge, tell them you want a Pandora and reorder, you'll be fine. People have Monday to recover from wedding hangover, time is on your side.

Bank local everybody, take your money out of large multi-national banks.

Back