First Ps3 Pictures

Well guess I'm the only one who thinks the PS3 looks cool and the Xbox 360 doesn't oh well nice to not be part of the norm.

Blimey!

WTF does it matter what it looks like. It's how it plays! Stick it under your wide plasma screen tellies, no one will notive it! Hold the wavebird wifif controller in your hand, and just enjoy these gameplay shallow, graphically incredible next gen beauties!!!!

Oooh, E3......

yeah, the system does look like shit, but maaan is it powerful!
(am i repeating myself?)

kotd posted on May 17 2005 at 06:03 AM said:
Well guess I'm the only one who thinks the PS3 looks cool and the Xbox 360 doesn't oh well nice to not be part of the norm.

not exactly, I dont really like the look of the Xbox 360 either... just that to me the PS3 looks even WORSE. They are both ugly to me though and really don't even look like game consoles IMO.

I agree the looks of the system aren't that important anyways... I mean hell look at the US SNES... especially compared to the beautiful Japanese Super Famicom... but that didn't keep me from loving it. But still there's the fact that most of us haven't even been that impressed with the graphics of the new systems either... of course it will come down to the actual gameplay so even that is not that big of a point... it just says a lot when new systems debut like this and you hear as much as, if not more, negative comments than positive. That's gotta be a bad sign....

but with the controller looks ARE important and that thing does NOT look enjoyable to hold at all!

It does really seem to me that console gaming is very possibly going to take a big turn for the worst, with much more emphasis on looking good, less time for developers to worry about them PLAYING good... higher cost and complexity of developing games making the time between truly good games be that much fewer and farther between. Not to mention possible emphasis on whatever new 'innovations' the Revolution has up it's sleeve... that companies might be more concerned with working these new 'innovations' into their game and not concerned enough with actually making the game play fun (*cough* DS *cough*).

Last edited by a moderator:
I ahve to tell you: I don't like the design at all. It looks horrible.

the xbox 360 has a sleek and well, sportive design. This look like a Box where you could put your bread in (just like the normal xbox :) ). And the controller.......horrible. This lokks just as uncomfortable as the old big xbox controller. I hope they let you use your PS2 controler on that thing.

sorry to reply again but I just found one little interesting tidbit that hints at the PS3's graphics power:

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today."

Holy crap.... Not sure what kind of video hardware Xbox 360 is touting but this sounds VERY powerful. And also sounds like it is literally the very top of the line in video graphics processing currently available for PC/Consoles. Anyone else know more about the Xbox 360's video chip? Is one definately more powerful than the other?

Other very good news... "Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers, which can be used for nearly 24 hours before they require charging." WOW! Put THOSE fears to bed REAL quick (talking about battery life for the now-mandatory wireless controllers). Seven player simultaneous gameplay!! Hope the controllers aren't TOO pricey.

"As rumored, it will also have Wi-Fi connectivity to the PSP, which can be used as a remote screen and/or controller." Very nice...

Another fear put to bed: "In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago." I read elsewhere that it's essentially a very powerful PC, as the Xbox was, and the 'easy to program for' sentiment is being echoed by other developers.

Mark posted on May 17 2005 at 12:14 AM said:
LOL:

050517i.jpg

I'm not playing PES on that.

Attachments

• 050517i.jpg
    050517i.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 114
no it doesnt' look like it will allow you to connect regular dualshock/dualshock 2 controllers, unfortunately.

Oops and I was wrong on one point, apparently there ARE two USB ports in the front of the system as well as four in the rear, or is it four in the front and two in the rear? Cool so...easy to plug in my GT steering wheel then :)

Watching the full video of the Sony E3 press conference right now... starting to forget how ugly the system is now that I'm seeing/hearing all of what it is supposedly going to be capable of... and suddenly I find myself budgeting in my head for the massive amount an import Japanese one is going to cost ;) :D Ugly controller be damned I think I am in love :blink: :D

EDIT: STILL watching the video of the press conference... well over 1.5 hours long... from what I'm seeing so far I think PC gamers won't have much to brag about when this thing drops :) With 2000 X 1000 pixel resolution and dual monitor capability this thing really sounds like it will put even the most powerful game PC to shame.

EDIT AGAIN: wow... almost 2 hour video... well worth watching if you have the bandwidth and the time to stream it from Gamespot. I know some people were commenting about whether this next generation would be producing graphics of near CG movie quality... judging from the demo's they showed on this video, PS3 will be pretty darn close. It really does look to be as big a leap above the PS2 as the PS2 was over the PS1... it looked THAT good. I.... want.... one.

The only question left for me is... they're saying it's due out for a spring 2006 release, but is that, spring 2006 in Japan only and who knows when for everyone else? Or spring 2006 worldwide? Or what? I"m betting spring 2k6 for Japan, Xmas for the rest of us... I'm also betting this system will NOT debut for the usual $300 debut price... we've seen Sony get pretty confident lately, it looks like they will have the most powerful system and they know it... I'm betting $400-500 for the PS3, and will be very shocked if it's any less than that. Just as they recently did with the PSP... they have shown that they know they can charge more than their competition and still sell like hotcakes. Start saving your pennies/euros/yen up now, gentlemen.....

Bast, I wish I knew you personally! You are great! You are so emotional, one minute YEEEESSS!!! The next NOOOO!!!!!!

One post "The end of the console era...", the next "Start saving cos it's gonna be fantastic!"

You are a star!

Anyway, I agree-everything I've heard/read/seen about the PS3 sounds so exciting. I can't see the joystick working, but I am sure there will be a change/way around it!

But as for the rest? It'll be import time again for me for sure :D

SHEEEAT...that thing may be damn ugly but it's damn impressive! Everything I wanted the Xbox 360 to be and more. For some opinions on the Xbox 360/PS3 debate look here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59132

bast525 posted on May 17 2005 at 05:59 AM said:
In EVERY case, the last of the systems in that particular generation always ends up being far more powerful than the first ones.

Nintendo PLEASE don't let us down.....

Nintendo will do a GC/DS again, prefering 'innovation' over power. They also said it would be the size of three DVD cases (tiny) so I doubt it will pack as much power as the PS3. I don't think MS anticipated quite how far in advance of their own hardware the PS3 really is. Egg on their face. All over it.

Huxley posted on May 17 2005 at 12:30 PM said:
SHEEEAT...that thing may be damn ugly but it's damn impressive! Everything I wanted the Xbox 360 to be and more. For some opinions on the Xbox 360/PS3 debate look here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59132

In EVERY case, the last of the systems in that particular generation always ends up being far more powerful than the first ones.

Nintendo will do a GC/DS again, prefering 'innovation' over power. They also said it would be the size of three DVD cases (tiny) so I doubt it will pack as much power as the PS3. I don't think MS anticipated quite how far in advance of their own hardware the PS3 really is. Egg on their face. All over it.

The thing is, the most powerful console doesn't always win out , we have all seen this over and over again! Ninty know this better than anyone after their gameboy/gamegear/lynx/neogeo pocket triumph etc. So you can't blame them for trying this tactic.

The phenomenom of the PS1 and PS2 must have stunned Ninty, but they have been making playings for over 100 years, so must have a bit of nounce.

So we can't really say which system will win out in the end! But it's good to ponder....

And we winner is....

PS3!!!!

There, I've said it.... :D

i think the design of the PS3 is fine, EXCEPT the controller. Spring of 2006, maybe i'll have money saved up for one, but I doubt it. I lost interest in console systems about 2 years ago when I got my GP32 and i've been pretty much only dealing with portable systems, so it's PSP for me for a long time, at least until the price drops on the new systems.

I'm watching the video now of the PS3, and I'm sold!

But I love the passion of the guys talking about it! They really seem to love their work....

And we love them :D

I always get emotional around E3 time... it's like a great anticipation and at the same time, a great feeling of dread come over me. Attending the event is physically and mentally taxing, and there is always some great surprise and some great letdown there. And whenever there are one or more new consoles coming these things all hold especially true.

Well my view on the new consoles was pretty bad after seeing their designs.... sorry I couldn't help that, but once I saw the demos of what the PS3 can do it's hard not to get excited. I was expecting the graphics of the next gen systems to be only a notch or two above the Xbox but really they are in a whole other league it seems. Also I'm pretty surprised and glad at some of the great features they have decided to include with the PS3, like full backwards compatibility with PS1 and 2, the six usb ports, and it's ability to accept memory stick, SD cards and CF cards. They're also making it very obvious that they aren't going to keep playing catch-up to Microsoft as far as online gaming goes... this time around it is really going to be an integral part of the system. I still think that all three new systems are ugly and plain and boring looking. But yeah, I'm passed my grumbling for the time being... hoping their showings of the actual games for the thing at E3 will be impressive to keep that excitement going.

DaveC posted on May 17 2005 at 04:48 AM said:
junker posted on May 17 2005 at 02:39 AM said:
bast! take some good pictures of this beast for us :p

but yeah, this console and controller design is VERY garbage.

Yeah but it is like ten times more powerful than 360. Nice try Microsoft, Sony kicked your ass, again. Better luck next time...

Dave C and Shinneri - guys... I keep saying this. Look all along the history of video game consoles (well at least as far back as NES as that's as far as I can clearly remember), generation by generation.

SMS was more powerful than NES
SNES was more powerful than Genesis/MD and TG16/PC Engine
N64 was more powerful than Saturn, PSX, 3DO and Jaguar (though limited by the cartridge format, graphically it was more powerful)
Xbox was more powerful than GC (though the two released almost at the same time in the US, they are also very close in terms of graphical abilities), PS2 and the ill fated Dreamcast.

This is how it ALWAYS plays out. Now, Xbox 360 will be the first of the next generation to hit the streets... almost guaranteeing that PS3 and Revolution will most likely be more powerful given they will have had that much more time in development and access to technology that is that much newer. So it's no surprise to me that PS3 should be as much more advanced over Xbox 360, as Xbox 1 was over the PS2.

As far as E3 I'll have my digital cam with me I'll try to take some good pics but I"m usually kinda caught up trying to play as many of the games as I can :) I took some good PSP pics last year to drool over... someone will have to host whatever pics I get though if you guys want them to be posted here. But why you guys would want more pics of these ugly ass systems is beyond me.....

EDIT: Other problems with the PS3... gone is the convenience of having the USB ports right in the front of the system, and of having the PS2 use the same power cord as the PS1 (old version) and Xbox... from the looks of it the PS3 will use one of those big bulky three prong PC style power cords, another convenience lost as I'm desperately low on three prong cords in my house :( Looks like the PS3 WILL keep using the same audio/video cable as the PS1 and 2... I hope it supports the PS2 Component (5 wire) cable.

there is no way it will be taht strong. Also if it is with this news M$ will make teh xbox 360 more powerful. I am gettig both but the xbox 360 must be the best!

Yoichi Wada, President, SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. “Square Enix is extremely honored to have had the chance to provide you with this technical demonstration of what the Cell processor can bring to the PLAYSTATION 3 and the world of gaming. We are committed to fully backing SCEI’s new computer entertainment system and plans to bring the FINAL FANTASY series to the PS3 are just beyond the horizon.”
I think I'm in love..... :wub: :wub:

Goity-I'm with you! This is news indeed!

Sam (why are you still Runes'crap?), don't be such a Fan boy! If the PS3 comes out at half these specs, it is incredible! Watching the vid, seeing the demos and I am astonished. Truly gobsmacked!!!!!

The specs are so far ahead of the xbox at the mo. So just play the games/consoles on their merits!

This does look unbelievable! Those ducks and glasses, GT5 etc.

Back