First Ps3 Game Dumped!!

I am entirely unconvinced that sony didn't somehow limit access to a bit of the disc through their linux bootloader. I'll believe this when I see the game running from the rip.

ISPs list their connection speeds in kilobits (kb). Most users are more familiar with kilobytes (kB).
To convert from kb to kB you divide by 8.

Which if you had read my previous post you would have seen I discovered with the SpeakEasy speed test. :)

The fact remains though, 160 * 8 = 1,280, and according to my ISP's website I should be getting 768k (96k/s).

Last edited by a moderator:
ISPs list their connection speeds in kilobits (kb). Most users are more familiar with kilobytes (kB).
To convert from kb to kB you divide by 8.

Which if you had read my previous post you would have seen I discovered with the SpeakEasy speed test. :)

The fact remains though, 160 * 8 = 1,280, and according to my ISP's website I should be getting 768k (96k/s).
...so why are you complaining? Your connection is faster...

I am entirely unconvinced that sony didn't somehow limit access to a bit of the disc through their linux bootloader. I'll believe this when I see the game running from the rip.
There'd be a workaround.. there always is. I guarantee by Christmas pirate PS3 games will be run on real hardware. ;) And it'll be all over YouTube. A mod chip of some sort may be required though, like with the Saturn, which has the BIOS check the outer edge of the disc for a copyright message. You can bypass that by swapping with a real disc, or using a pass-through cable and mod chip to keep the BIOS convinced everything is still business as usual when you throw a CD-R in there. And then there's the discs you can boot that let you run games from other regions on the PS2 .. probably something similar will be out for PS3 before long.

maybe but the cost of a Blu Ray burner and Blu Ray discs will put people off for a very long time unless all the movies, Sounds etc are ripped out and the game squeezed onto a DVD9 disc...

maybe but the cost of a Blu Ray burner and Blu Ray discs will put people off for a very long time unless all the movies, Sounds etc are ripped out and the game squeezed onto a DVD9 disc...
This is what I assume will be done. No one tries to use the Dreamcast's weird 1GB medium, since the laser can read the track density of a regular CD-R, too. I'm sure the majority of PS3 games for the time being will be made to fit this capacity.

This is what I assume will be done. No one tries to use the Dreamcast's weird 1GB medium, since the laser can read the track density of a regular CD-R, too. I'm sure the majority of PS3 games for the time being will be made to fit this capacity.

But still... If I paid £400 odd for the console I would want to play the full games and not ones with movies / sounds etc ripped out...

There are other routes like recompressing audio or video so it fits in less space. You might lose some quality but by the sound of it, they are already wasting space, probably meaning that (as was said) they are using a lossless compression method. This is often totally unnecessary. A song may sound just as good in OGG Vorbis format at 96kbps as it does uncompressed without an extremely discerning listener and top-notch audio hardware and speakers.

i only have a 8mb connection im sure koreans and americans could download them even quicker.

*Only* 8mb? Gah, my SBC/Yahoo DSL isn't even 1mb. I'm thinking it's probably 384k, since I get download speeds of 160k.

... then you've got no concept of how fast your connection should be. 1mbit equals about 128kb/s and 384kbit equals about 48kb/s.

Then you have no concept of my internet provider. :p

I looked up on their site, and here's the official data:
384 Kbps to 768 Kbps

Which according to what you said is quite impossible, even the high end. I usually get at least 90k/s download and at most 160k/s (I just said the high one 'cause that's what I was getting at the moment), when according to you I should never even get up to 128k/s because of my connection stats.

Just to be fair though, I'll take the SpeakEasy speed test and report back.

Interesting. I'm getting a much higher speed than I'm provisioned for. According to SpeakEasy, I have a 1.3M download link.

ISPs usually set the upper bandwidth limit a bit above what's stated as the maximum for your certain service in order to compensate for other factors that might slow things down (such as bad cabling/wiring in your house etc.). For instance, my upstream is specified as 10mbit (1280kb/s), yet the speeds I get are usually closer to 1500kb/s (about 12mbit).

Fuck, if you can get the games running off the HD, then I might have to get a PS3.

good luck getting one :D
Did I say "right away"?

no, but after right away sony will find a way to stop it for a month or so.

It's basically the PSP homebrew shuffle all over again... Except this time Sony could be losing even more money.

Back