First Games

I forgot Battle of Olympus for NES (the NES I got when I was 1, of course) I probably played it earlier, but I remember playing it about when I was 6. I still have it too!

Sweet jesus, some of you people are young. Crash Bandicoot? I mean.. the PS1 as a first gaming platform?! :lol:

I'm having a hard time getting my head around someone growing up after 3D hardware became mainstream.

My first game would've been Breakout or some weird game called Android, or Space Android or something, all on the BBC Micro... just on the turning point of games becoming a commercial venture, I guess.. not that I was old enough to know. Half the games my dad's friends were passing around at work were plain text BASIC source files.

Javacat posted on May 22 2006 at 07:47 AM said:

That was a damn fine game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Binatone Pong type thing.

PSOne games? :blink:

Good God, someone is going to say Halo 2 anytime soon!

My first actual home console was a N64. I survived on an old Amstrad for years and years up till then.

I remember starting out with games like duke nukem, death rally, dungeon keeper and toonstruck. Irresponsible parents are the best.

Oh, and if anyone can find me a copy of Jason Jupitor, they will recieve a paypal based reward.

:rolleyes: I remember it like it was yesterday :rolleyes:

The mailman arrived...
A HUGE box appeard...
Then my parents said, you should go to have a nap... (I think I was 4 or something)
When I woke up my dad was playing Super Mario Bros on our brand new NES (the cardridge also included Duck Hunt and Clay Shooting)

Then my life started to make sense... :lol:

However, the first game I bought was Duke Nukem 3D for PC :)

First ever games were a compilation of games on the Sharp MZ-700. They were ones my mate had, and we used to play them to death!

Also, another mate had an Atari 2600, and it was space invaders all round on that.

First I can remember was a Pong clone, with carts. A terrible contraption with awful games, even at the time, but I still have it in a closet somewhere. It had the worse version I have ever seen of the classic submarine vs destroyer game. Thankfully I got a 2600 shortly afterwards and started playing Raiders of the Lost Ark and Asteroids.

Ghosts 'n Goblins, C64. A long time ago, that was...

The PS1 would have been an awful first console/gaming experience btw. It's still a mystery to me how people could throw away the colorful 2D-wonders of the previous generations to embrace the possibly ugliest graphics known to date (32-bit generation 3D accelerated graphics).

Nova posted on May 21 2006 at 12:43 PM said:

Just had a go at em again, and they are both still as good as i remember. You all must at least play skyroads.

epitaph posted on May 23 2006 at 02:05 PM said:

The PS1 would have been an awful first console/gaming experience btw. It's still a mystery to me how people could throw away the colorful 2D-wonders of the previous generations to embrace the possibly ugliest graphics known to date (32-bit generation 3D accelerated graphics).

That could be disputed.

Nova posted on May 22 2006 at 08:33 AM said:
My first actual home console was a N64. I survived on an old Amstrad for years and years up till then.

I can actually beat that!

My first console was the GP32 :eek:
And got a PS2, DC and X-box a while after.

But I grew up with gaming-computers like C-64 and Amiga 500.

I did however discover emulation in the last half of the 90'es and I seriously began playing SNES and Genesis games more on my PC than real PC games... Ahh... All these wonderful SNES RPG. Apparently I loved console-games.

I guess I must have missed out on Nintendo and Sega consoles the first time around, but I seriously didn't know anyone who had any of these as a child... It was all C64 and Amiga.
I also became abnormally good at Tekken 3... I just never had an actual playstation.

Of cause I HAD to get a GP32 when I heard of it.
Id never did get satisfying SNES-emulation, but this was actually just for the better, since I then could discover (to me) all new systems that actually DID play well on it like PC Engine and Sega Master System.

... wow... look at me ranting...

That could be disputed.

That could be disputed.

ok
ok
ok
ok

And why do people say PS1 killed N64?
Although it did have FF, RE, and MGS, I think N64 with a bout 50 really good to awesome games kills 3 awesome games. Plus I think N64 developers embraced the system more, developing games with graphics more suited to the console (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time) than disgusting visuals of Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Back