First Games

Target for the Atari 2600 when I was six years-old. My mom found me beating two teenagers who were taking turns trying to beat my score each game.

Apparently I had a knack for timing.

Over the years, adrenaline-pumping games leave me bored. I prefer Galactic Civilizations II, Neverwinter Nights (NWN2 will be great I hope), Operation Flashpoint (just for the editing and freedom to walk a whole island and board any military vehicle - all while having the health of a grunt and great AI that flanks).

well, i've got very fond early memories of all sorts of pinball arcades and other pool activities, so there's a bit of foggy 'might not have been a video' game experiences .. some sort of 'bomb the rolling light-bulb' thing was a hit in my tender youth, but the first 'video' memory i have is of Shark Attack, wherein a blotty selection of sea-life was to be shot at with some light-sensor gun thing, and you only got 3 'spears' for 5c, or something ..

i remember most fondly when lunar lander hit the scene, though, pretty much the day those machines were available in the country .. and then, a few months later, riffing off this same event, those colonies of lunar cabinets were to be employed in defense against pixel-groovy invaders from space burnin' in .. Space Invaders .. and from that point on pretty much every game life-experience has been weak by comparison. ;)

A pong based console looked a bit like this when i was wee toddler

o3000c.jpg

I know that this will somehow tell my age, but I remember going into the arcade and seeing a new electronic game called "pong." All games in the arcade back then were pinball machines and other odd things. I still remember when a friend down the street got the first pong home version. We played for hours every day and were totally amazed by it. :)

Titus the Fox on a 286! I never got past the first boss, the big lug who threw an infinite supply of beer bottles at you. Then I played Prehistoric, another awesome platformer featuring a caveman, about which Google finds nothing.

- Alex

darkman posted on May 21 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
I know that this will somehow tell my age, but I remember going into the arcade and seeing a new electronic game called "pong." All games in the arcade back then were pinball machines and other odd things. I still remember when a friend down the street got the first pong home version. We played for hours every day and were totally amazed by it. :)
OMG your 51!

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on May 21 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
OMG your 51!
How do you do it! :p

Goity posted on May 21 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
sam fisher posted on May 21 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
OMG your 51!
How do you do it! :p

People tell me I am too old to be playing video games. I tell them that I am having fun. I am having the time of my life.

Head over Heals on the ZX Spectrum (I was 8 years old and I'd just inherited the 48K spectrum from my older brother)

It sounds ridiculous now - but it took me 7 years to totally complete that damn game...

Back