Firmware 2.0.0 Released!!!!

The web server is for other stuff on your network to access stuff in your www folder on your GP2X.

I might post a guide to the advanced options later.

Also, the firmware upgrade guide in the FAQ is now updated.

bmilleker posted on Apr 28 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
Maybe im just retarded but I cant get anything to work with the network settings.

I go to the settings, set the network up having it always on. I try to ping it from my linux box and nothing works. Any suggestions?
Same here. In fact I don't think I've heard of anyone who has been able to ping from a linux box yet. The only response I can get from a ping is it will occasionally crash the gp2x, other than that the connection seems completely dead. I've given up trying to get this working now as it buggers up most usb stuff on my desktop after a few attempts and I'm sick of rebooting to get it all working again.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaviL posted on Apr 28 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
I format fat32, copy all files in the zip in sd card and reboot.
Nothing...
try again and pres start+select.. nothing, stil last firmware (1.4)
I try look in the root directory: gp2xboot.img and gp2xkernel.img are gone other files are syill here.
I Don't have a Firmware flash compatible card, my last firmware update was made with a program.
What can i do ?

same here.... :(

any help would be appreciated.

I hope robster makes a release soon.

Here's what I did:

Format to Fat32
Dump all the stuff onto root directory
Turn on your GP2x.
Let it say firmware upgrading.
Once it gets to the green screen, wait about 10 seconds, and turn it off.
Wait about 10 seconds, and turn it on whilst holding the Start+Select buttons.

It will take a while, but the last steps will have a firmware upgrading (again) then Something i forgot then Formatting...

Your done.

One other tip that I used to have to do with older firmware was to be sure to name the SD "disk".
If I just formated the SD in XP and then tried to update firmware the GP2x would never see the upgrade. Naming the SD "disk" (I called it "sd") fixed the firmware upgrade issue.

Upgrade complete :) (first one i've attempted too as i was worried about bricking it)

It went smooth apart from hanging at the green screen as others have mentioned. Powered on/off as explained but didn't start the next stage, After 30 minutes of confusion and worry i asked myself if the reason it wasn't going any futher is perhaps due to the fact i'm holding down the volume buttons in instead of the start/select buttons :lol: 'kin bellend

Hope you all have a laugh at my expense :D

Hmmn, I set the GP2x USB setting to always on, connected my USB hub to it but it doesn't seem to be powered. Has anyone else had any luck with connecting usb devices with the new firmware?

The new boot time is wicked :D

bagmouse7 posted on Apr 28 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
One other tip that I used to have to do with older firmware was to be sure to name the SD "disk".
If I just formated the SD in XP and then tried to update firmware the GP2x would never see the upgrade. Naming the SD "disk" (I called it "sd") fixed the firmware upgrade issue.

thanks, but still nada de nada.

Just updated mine too. 2nd Edition Model

1. Copy all files to SD card. Hold Start and Select and turn on. Release.
2. Firmware loading page then green screen.
3. Turn off and hold start and select. Turn on.
4. Updating firmware, then patching, then formatting.

Now Ready to use. Firmware 2.0.0 :)

I just installed 2.0. Seems nice, fixed the problem where the default version of Sqeeze didn't work. However, when I installed the SDL libs, it broke the default version of Sqeeze, requiring the DR2 version.

I'd recommend people not installing the old SDL libs until further investigation.

How exactly DOES overclocking via scripts work? I've been using v1.2.1 up until now since 1.4 was so spectacularly broken. I assume the overclocking utility by God at Hell does not work, and it need to be called via the script before execution of the program to avoid the menu flipping the ARM920T back to 200 MHz? What is the syntax to perform this? I really hope successive firmwares remove this irritation-- having multiple scripts for all my programs just to adjust clockrate is pretty stupid. At least the apps that need it most have this feature built in; as will my own developments.

This is looking like a pretty sweet firmware, and I'm going to give it a shot tonight when my Energizer 2500mah cells are done recharging (coming up from a near-100% discharge, the LCD backlight won't even come on) with my official Sandisk 1GB card. I imagine they'll survive the ordeal just fine. We can't all have fancy power bricks. ;)

I installed this using a 64MB memory card with no problems. I use batteries not an adapter, I was lucky enough for this to update before the light came on for low batteries. It wasn't straight forward to do and I can see a lot of bricking. The boot up time is now sorted, nice and quick the sound it makes when you turn it on is a nice touch.

I'm disappointed that the sound still comes on when your using the TV-out and also the LCD adjuster still isn't right. I don't think the screen will ever be 100%, I'll still keep my fingers cross though.

Does this version have the built in usb drivers for external devices?

Epicenter posted on Apr 28 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
How exactly DOES overclocking via scripts work? I've been using v1.2.1 up until now since 1.4 was so spectacularly broken. I assume the overclocking utility by God at Hell does not work, and it need to be called via the script before execution of the program to avoid the menu flipping the ARM920T back to 200 MHz? What is the syntax to perform this? I really hope successive firmwares remove this irritation-- having multiple scripts for all my programs just to adjust clockrate is pretty stupid. At least the apps that need it most have this feature built in; as will my own developments.

This is looking like a pretty sweet firmware, and I'm going to give it a shot tonight when my Energizer 2500mah cells are done recharging (coming up from a near-100% discharge, the LCD backlight won't even come on) with my official Sandisk 1GB card. I imagine they'll survive the ordeal just fine. We can't all have fancy power bricks. ;)

Check it out here: Overclocking

The loading screen is still going after a minute or so after the firmware update screen...

What do I do?

EDIT: Nevermind. START + SELECT did the trick.

Epicenter posted on Apr 28 2006 at 06:30 PM said:

well, you only need to make the script once. and in the end it's that much more convenient since you don't have to run the tweaker every time you launch an app. i see soup_nazi already gave a link but for the sake of laziness i'll put telcolou's sample script here (edited):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 266 1.0
cd /mnt/sd/squidgesnes/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

i believe the first line is a bit of convention, just tells the system it's a bash script. could be wrong as i'm not a linux pro. the second line runs god_at_hell's app with command-line options. first one (0/1) is fpll/upll. second is the LCD frequency tweak. third is the CPU clock frequency. fourth (in the latest version) is gamma.

also notice that while it's ok to run the tweaker on a single line, almost everything else behaves better if you change directory first, then launch the app with ./app.gpe.

if you're in windows then you need a better text editor than notepad...i really like notepad++, a lot of people use programmer's notepad.

Back