Firmware 2.0.0 Released!!!!

I managed it with the Art103/Open2x combination, after being convinced by an 8 minute "firmware flashing" screen that I'd bricked my unit. I'm told that's a known bug with that ver of Uboot, though - c'est ca.

thelamer posted on Apr 28 2006 at 12:51 PM said:
Mine just chills at the loading screen, I have tried a power cycle anyone else have any ideas ?

The first loading screen, or the 2nd? Mine hung on the green screen so I had to turn off the power and hold start & select after re-booting ... it stayed on the loading screen for like 2-3 minutes, then the patching screen for a minute or so, then the NAND reformatting screen for another 2 miuntes-ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty straightforward; upgrades fine from 1.2.1 (and 1.0.1 etc etc) I presume? You don't need the start/select pressing except with 1.4?

I'll install tonight!

I tend to stick with stock OSes in my gadgets, so I'm assured maximum compatibility with my software I release, so no cramfs here..

jeff

TelcoLou posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:54 PM said:
Mine just chills at the loading screen, I have tried a power cycle anyone else have any ideas ?

The first loading screen, or the 2nd? Mine hung on the green screen so I had to turn off the power and hold start & select after re-booting ... it stayed on the loading screen for like 2-3 minutes, then the patching screen for a minute or so, then the NAND reformatting screen for another 2 miuntes-ish.

same thing happened to me, wasn't as compilcated everyone's making it out to be though. just do the same thing you do with all the other updates except you need to hold s+s, and theres no gpu file to run in the utility menu this time.

Just FYI, I think this Firmware is great, however I beleive it may have caused bizarre flickering to the menu of DRMDX.

Also Qtopia appears to work off the bat with No flashing or additional modules required (Obviously they are all included with this FW, just download and run the GPU direct)

Lovely!

N.B

I've Just realised that this means some talented coder could probably re-compile the Justreader e-book program directly for the 2X very easily to replace the horrible default one!

Anyone who would be kind enough to do this would receive my eternal thanks

I wonder what Reesy is doing in the menu, for it to bung up the menu and not the emulation? In fact, I had this same problem until updating to FW1.2.1 .. so iuts various firmwares that cause it. I'm inclined to think its something he's doing in the menu code .. but very curious :)

QTopia just runs? Cute, should be fun to check out..

At least everyone will have SDL pre-included now, so should be easier for application install to newbs.

jeff

Looks like a massive improvement, just updated from Open2x/Art uboot without any issues (apart from it hanging on the initial flashing firmware screen, but a reset fixed that)

It deffo warrants a v2.0 tag if you ask me and it was ON TIME! unlike all other releases.

for sure, this is a massive improvement on the feature-set, compared with the swing from 1.2 -> 1.4.

this release includes some ultra-cool features. it is now possible to copy your own stuff to NAND, over the 'net, as if the GP2X were just another server on your network. i didn't see it mentioned in the docs, but i see it on the menu: an ftp server, samba server, and web server, are now on-board as well .. meaning you can browse your GP2X filesystem with a web-browser, with windows networking, or just plain ol' ftp. huuuuge benefit.

there's just no reason not to do this upgrade. its a stunning example of how linux and the hacker spirit delivers when you start using it right ..

It also seems to produce a brief screen "flash" when the menu starts, No big deal but I wonder if something in the graphical subsystem is being handled slightly differently.

SquidgeSNES & GNGeo2X appear unnaffected, overclocking by script also seems okay...

Paradox posted on Apr 29 2006 at 02:13 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

same thing happened to me, wasn't as compilcated everyone's making it out to be though. just do the same thing you do with all the other updates except you need to hold s+s, and theres no gpu file to run in the utility menu this time.

Probably because all the changes have been internal things. They have not upgraded any of the applications. I must say the new boot time is impressive. It seems about on par timewise with cramfs and squashfs.

edit: time -> par timewise

Back