Firmware 2.0.0 Released!!!!

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 28 2006 at 09:24 AM said:
I just released a new quick update to the GP2X User Guide for updating the new firmware and also a brief overview of the new features. More information at http://www.emuholic.com/.

Wow! That was fast! I didn't quite get what they were saying with the Engrish about the Start and Select.

Thanks for creating the 1.4.0 guide. It was once of the clinching factors that made me decide to get a GP2X. Since the information on the system was so fragmented, I wasn't quite sure I wanted to dig around for how to use the thing.

And as a recommendation for future updates, I would humbly suggest having a section about the most popular/most useful software available for the GP2x. I would be willing (and am offering) to write the section myself, but I imagine at this point you would like to keep the development of all of the guide in your hands. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

We are pleased to inform you to release latest firmware version 2.0.0

----------------------------------------------------------
Functions that have been upgraded
----------------------------------------------------------

1. Booting time is shortened.
- Mounting speed is shortened due to the file system exchange.
- Loading speed of boot loader and kernels are shortened.
- We reduced unnecessary process of initiation

2. NAND support improvement.
-User can use NAND Memory area.
You can copy, delete and move files in NAND Memory when connecting USB through PC.

3. Extension of using time.
-We extended battery using time by blocking USB 2.0 power consumption and reducing power consumption when you don't use USB

4. Addition of system menu
-We added settings function for high level users.
-We added volume limit: When you use headphone, you can adjust volume limitation.
However if you want to maintain this settings, sound volume of exterior speaker is get to lowered.

Please make sure to set the volume limit as “ON” after you select system folder under the settings menu when using headphone. Otherwise your eardrum might get hurt.
-Addition of automatic execution: you can execute file at the same time of inserting SD card in the case of executing certain files.

5. Improvement of USB connection.
-USB connection is so much improved by correcting USB driver.

Besides, many other things are improved.
We will post new manual in the near future.

-------------------------------------------
How to upgrade Firmware
-------------------------------------------

The way of upgrading firmware has been changed dramatically. Please, refer to guide below.

- In the case of upgrading firmware version 1.4.0 to version 2.0.0, switch off the system 15 seconds after updating screen appears and then follow the steps as below.

- if you already installed Firmware V2 and when reinstalling it, you may skip the process mentioned above and go on the process as below.

*Please use over 128MB when installing firmware.
(After you upgrade 2.0.0, you can upgrade firmware with under 128MB)

*Please make sure that the SD card system is FAT32, when you install firmware.
If the SD card mode is FAT mode, you should change it into FAT 32 mode.
We recommend you to copy useful data from the SD Card and then paste them on your PC before formatting the SD Card.
(After you upgraded firmware to version 2.0.0, GP2X will be able to support FAT 32 and FAT 16 as well.

*It may take 10 minutes to upgrade firmware due to the various firmware improvements.
Please use AC adaptor or full charged battery when you upgrade firmware. Being discharged during upgrading firmware may hurt the system.
10-1. Upgrading Firmware
1. You can download latest firmware from our company website.

(Illustration 10-1) GP2X firmware version 2.0.0
2. After you undo compression of firmware downloaded from GPH official website, put them into the root directory of SD card.

(Illustration 10-2) Screen shows that firmware 2.0.0 has been undone compression.
3. Copy and put files into the root directory of SD card.

(Illustration 10-3) Screen shows firmware files are inside SD card after you undo compression>

4. Switch on the power (Start button) and (Select button) and start button at the same time. Firmware updating is started when the power is on..

* caution 1: if the GP2X system has been already switched on, switch off the system once again and then switch on the system
* caution 2: When you switch on the system, press (Start button) and (Select button) at the same time. Otherwise the firmware is not upgrading.

* catuion 3: WHEN UPGRADING FIRMWARE IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD POWER SOURCE. A loss of power while upgrading could break the GP2X.

(Illustration 10-4) Screen shows that kernel is being upgraded (It may take 30 seconds to 3 minutes)
5.The GP2X system is rebooted automatically if the kernel is updated correctly and you can check out updated firmware version on the booting screen.

(Illustration 10-5) Upgraded firmware version name is displayed while booting
6. Utility is upgraded automatically after kernel has updated automatically

(Illustration 10-6) screen displays Utility is being patched.
7.NAND Memory is being patched for using it.

(Illustration 10-7) NAND Memory patching screen.(It may take 3min to 5min)
8. The main screen is displayed when the upgrading firmware has been done successfully.

(Illustration 10-8) The main screen displayed after upgrading firmware successfully.
9. Check that the version name is shown correctly on the info menu under Settings.

(Illustration 10-9) You can check out the latest firmware version on INFO screen under Settings menu.

(1) Indicates firmware version.
(2) Indicates model name.
(3) Indicates serial number. (It is necessary for applying DRM)

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:24 PM said:
I just released a new quick update to the GP2X User Guide for updating the new firmware and also a brief overview of the new features. More information at http://www.emuholic.com/.
Done. Shiny "Firmware v2" at startup, and boot time roughly the same as theoddbot's cramfs+fw1.4.

[Happily walked out of the shop :D]

wiggythebrave posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
Due to the fact that this update formats the NAND, will we have to re-install the SDL Libs again?

If you poke into that gp2xfs.tar.gz you may notice some files named with libSDL*.so. I suppose these are the stuff you're looking for?

wiggythebrave posted on Apr 28 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
Due to the fact that this update formats the NAND, will we have to re-install the SDL Libs again?

if games aren't staticly linked it will need it again yes, if games are staticly linked it isn't needed.
it doesn't hurt installing it again.

How does the firmware work with the overclocking utility? Does it reset it back to 200Mhz when you go back to the menu screen?

This is one of the main reasons I have not upgraded to 1.4. Don't know how to write scripts for this.

Is it just me, or has the brightness of every emulator increased? Black isn't black anymore in any emulator.

Sterf posted on Apr 28 2006 at 11:50 AM said:
Is it just me, or has the brightness of every emulator increased? Black isn't black anymore in any emulator.

You may have to adjust the LCD slider ... I have only played Vectar on the default settings ... looks ok to me, but every screen is different.

Vimacs posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
nope, but it resetted the lcd timeing, maybe you just didnt readjust it yet?

No, I readjusted to every position and it did it everywhere.

But somehow it's solved when I rebooted it...so no problem at all now. Great firmware release!

fomit posted on Apr 28 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
Just curious if anyone has upgraded to this from either theoddbot's firmware or the Open2X firmware? Did you need to rollback to the V.1.4.0 kernel?

I did. After updating the kernel, it got stuck at the "Loading..." screen. After a power cycle everything went fine, but the update took some time (total 5-7mins). A progress bar would really be helpfull :p

cheap-plastic posted on Apr 29 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
fomit posted on Apr 28 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
Just curious if anyone has upgraded to this from either theoddbot's firmware or the Open2X firmware? Did you need to rollback to the V.1.4.0 kernel?

I did. After updating the kernel, it got stuck at the "Loading..." screen. After a power cycle everything went fine, but the update took some time (total 5-7mins). A progress bar would really be helpfull :p

Does the above mean that you did rollback to the 1.4 kernel or that you simply installed 2.0.0 straight away?

Thanks.

Back