Firmware 2.0.0 Next Week!

chaos engineer posted on Apr 26 2006 at 09:38 AM said:
you can play games while sitting on the toliet, lying in the bed etc.

PLEASE don't let this thread go wizzing off into that territory again. It was scary enough last time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:

Whats the point of playing it inside

[/quote]

PLEASE don't let this thread go wizzing off into that territory again. It was scary enough last time...
[/quote]

crumple or fold?

:)

rokdcasbah said:
Squidge said:

Whats the point of playing it inside

[/quote]

crumple or fold?

:)
[/quote]

Ok Squdge, I knowwhat you mean by scary, but please provide me with a link to the "last time" thread

chaos engineer posted on Apr 26 2006 at 12:39 PM said:
Ok Squdge, I knowwhat you mean by scary, but please provide me with a link to the "last time" thread

Ok, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=27451

And please let that be the last said about it.

Trying to drag this thread back onto topic...

I hope they produce a decent "How to upgrade/What to expect" document, as it's not exactly self-explanatory to upgrade to 2.0, as it's such a large change.

craigix posted on Apr 25 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
Yes if people keep leaking GPL software for which the source is not available.

maybe GPH need to consider carefully who they give the beta too then, its their own fault for giving it to untrustworthy people.

What about the screen flicker problem? That's numero uno on my list of things that depirately need fixing. Running the cpu utility everytime I start the player to fix that is such a pain.

Im not sure how good internet browsing will be on the gp2x. However, I could see how net connectivity would be great for some games, and not just for multiplayer action. Imagine your playing TileMatch, or C-Dogs, or beat2x, or Vectar, or whatever on the go and when you come home you slap your gp2x into its bob or (if possible) plug it in to your computer via mini usb cable and your HighScores are sent to a Server. The Server displays your scores along with everyone elses scores. You could go a step further with it as well. I know there is a developer or a group of developers working on a card game simular to the one found in FF7(I think). Since its turn based (as all card games are) the server could act as a connection point for others playing that game they could trade, 'buy', and 'sale' their cards. And Im sure there are other non-multiplayer things people could setup.

And As far as Multiplayer is concerned Ive never owned a console hand held or otherwise that had net connectivity so what if I have to plug my beloved into my 26' TV and uses my external controllers so be it :)

bigtrouble77 posted on Apr 26 2006 at 02:06 PM said:
What about the screen flicker problem? That's numero uno on my list of things that depirately need fixing. Running the cpu utility everytime I start the player to fix that is such a pain.

Well, there is the built in LCD modification utility, but if that doesn't fix your problem, I guess your pretty much screwed.

Don't forget however, that the LCD screen will be changing shortly (due sometime in May), so maybe they'll use one that doesn't flicker?

Squidge posted on Apr 26 2006 at 03:12 AM said:

Interesting choice of words... :p

Squidge posted on Apr 26 2006 at 05:00 PM said:

Well, there is the built in LCD modification utility, but if that doesn't fix your problem, I guess your pretty much screwed.

Don't forget however, that the LCD screen will be changing shortly (due sometime in May), so maybe they'll use one that doesn't flicker?

Which would get us in the same situation as with the BLU/BLU+, but the other way around this time, the old flickery units not being taken care of anymore.... :unsure:

Am i understanding this correctly? .... With the new connectivity options in the new firmware i wonder if it would be possible to connect 2 gp2xs together via the serial port.

WhiteFalcon posted on Apr 26 2006 at 04:36 PM said:
Which would get us in the same situation as with the BLU/BLU+, but the other way around this time, the old flickery units not being taken care of anymore.... :unsure:
The BLU/BLU+ problem was, I believe, the different refresh rates of the two types of screen (correct me if I'm wrong). This wouldn't be a problem on the GP2X as the screens are handled by the Linux kernel.

However, this may mean that GPH will have to release two firmware upgrade versions... we will see.

WhiteFalcon posted on Apr 26 2006 at 06:36 PM said:

Many "key", as they say, developers have old flickery units... So no worries.

Squidge posted on Apr 26 2006 at 03:00 PM said:

From what I heard the new LCD won't flicker but the screen will be dim and washed out like the BLU+. I will take the slight interlace. My Razr phone has the exact type of interlace flicker that the GP2X has so that is not uncommon.

Squidge posted on Apr 26 2006 at 05:12 AM said:

Dundun dun DUN! Dundun dun DUN! Hahaha... :eek: ...about that....

Anyways, I'm really glad that 2.0 is coming out. Might be what we all wanted, but maybe not...as gph aren't exactly all that great in the "make sure everything works" section...

DaveC posted on Apr 26 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
From what I heard the new LCD won't flicker but the screen will be dim and washed out like the BLU+. I will

Well, Craigix has been sent a sample it seems, and from his description, I certainly wouldn't say the new display was "dim". I'm not going to say exactly what he thought of it yet though as I don't know if his sample is final or not.

Back