Release Firefox 17.0.1 in repo

It's stuck in the "Check compatibility of Add-ons" windows... I can't cancel and even closing the window doesn't work.

The update from 15 to 16 gave me no problems.

I'll try to terminate and delete appdata dir... *sigh*

EDIT: just killing and restarting worked ok, luckily I have still all my data and plugins configuration ^_^ Thanks hdonk, AGAIN :D
I had a similar problem, except I waited for Firefox to finish doing its thing. It took several minutes, but did complete.

... Patience required! ...

It's stuck in the "Check compatibility of Add-ons" windows... I can't cancel and even closing the window doesn't work.

EDIT: just killing and restarting worked ok, luckily I have still all my data and plugins configuration ^_^ Thanks hdonk, AGAIN :D
I had a similar problem, except I waited for Firefox to finish doing its thing. It took several minutes, but did complete.

I killed after 30 minutes, how long did you wait ?

I killed after 30 minutes, how long did you wait ?
I think it was 5-10...

I guess it must depend on the add-ons you have installed.

Did anyone have trouble in just getting it to load in. I try and run it and nothing. The SD card flashes and then stops. I have downloaded it

it three times. What size should it be?

I had strange issues in the beginning, but I think they were not related to the PND.

First of all you can run the pnd from a terminal to get a little more output (adjust the path to your system):

Code:
pnd_run /media/trans8/pandora/menu/firefox-17.0.1-1.pnd

When I did this I got a "failed" at some point.

Then you can see the output of the pnd-log-file:

Code:
view /tmp/pndrun_hdonk_firefox_001.out

That should give you a more detailed view on the errors. In general this is my recommended way to help yourself or provide info to get help from others.

So for me i got very strange errors about permissions not being sufficient. And when I was about to write a bug-thread here, I thought "Well, let's try a restart of the Pandora first." After that the pnd ran without further problems. I still wonder what it was.

Let us know what you found out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone have trouble in just getting it to load in. I try and run it and nothing. The SD card flashes and then stops. I have downloaded it

it three times. What size should it be?

I had strange issues in the beginning, but I think they were not related to the PND.

First of all you can run the pnd from a terminal to get a little more output (adjust the path to your system):

Code:
pnd_run /media/trans8/pandora/menu/firefox-17.0.1-1.pnd

When I did this I got a "failed" at some point.

Then you can see the output of the pnd-log-file:

Code:
view /tmp/pndrun_hdonk_firefox_001.out

That should give you a more detailed view on the errors. In general this is my recommended way to help yourself or provide info to get help from others.

So for me i got very strange errors about permissions not being sufficient. And when I was about to write a bug-thread here, I thought "Well, let's try a restart of the Pandora first." After that the pnd ran without further problems. I still wonder what it was.

Let us know what you found out that way.

Thanks much for the info. I figured it was something. I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens....

Thank you very much hdonk!

I have a 256 MB Pandora, and the browser keeps swapping on the memory card, which makes the browsing rather sluggish. From what I read in this topic, it seems that the browser is supposed to be faster, so maybe would you have a suggestion to make the experience snappier? Thank you!

Ok, I looked into the output of the pnd-log file and it said that it could not load the firefox.sh file because there is no such file or directory. Anyone have an idea?

Ok, I looked into the output of the pnd-log file and it said that it could not load the firefox.sh file because there is no such file or directory. Anyone have an idea?

corrupt download perhaps?

Another thing to try is that I deleted the firefox directory in the appdata folder before running this and didn't have any issues.

corrupt download perhaps?

Another thing to try is that I deleted the firefox directory in the appdata folder before running this and didn't have any issues.

I will try and download it again, just to see if that is it. I already tried getting rid of the FIREFOX folder in the appdata folder and that did not work. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for another fast update!

I had no problems on first start after the upgrade. I also noted that Firefox seems to freeze for several seconds before finally loading the page. I wonder if this is related to Flash or Javascript?

OK, tried the following: new download, deleting the FIREFOX folder in the appdata folder and using the older Kernel. All gave me the result. In the launching process, the pnd cannot find the file application firefox.sh. It is possible there is something I have loading in at startup that is causing this? Is there something that will interfere with Firefox that the Pandora has an option to load at startup.

Here is something. I recently received my 1ghz Pandora. I set it up like my original one. I fired up the 1g Pandora and clicked on the Firefox 17.01 icon and it loaded in perfectly. The only thing I can think as to why it did not run on the original one is because of clock speed. I had the original one overclocked. Anyone else have an idea?

@Gamer:

Strange issues related to PNDs happened to me when having two PNDs of the same package (having the same package-ID) in two different folders (or in the same folder with a different filename but still same internal package ID). For example this happened to me a couple of times when I downloaded a beta to the root of my sd-card, forgot about it and then downloaded the non-beta-package with PNDstore.

Here are some ways of showing all pnds or some of them with a certain name in a terminal:

The following line searches as root for any file named "*.pnd" in the root-directory of the filesystem "/" and all subdirectories and shows the output by using the program "less", which waits for a keypress to display the next page of content and let's you do some searching by pressing "/" (then type "fox" for example) and jump to next/previous search-result with "n" and "N". Press "q" to quit.

Code:
sudo find / -iname "*.pnd" | less

Or do a similar, but more specific search without using "less":

Code:
sudo find / -iname "*fox*.pnd"

If you frequently do searches then i recommend to use "updatedb" and "locate" instead. "updatedb" creates a database containing all filenames and "locate" searches that database and outputs results. "-i" tells "locate" to ignore case-sensitivity in filenames. Of course you do not have to run "updatedb" everytime, but only when you think that it's database might be too old for the file(s) you are trying to find:

Code:
sudo updatedb

locate -i "*fox*.pnd"

Firefox 17 seems to be bugy  at the new tab tab overview page and I guess this is one big reason why the Browser is much slower than it schould be. You cant specify any thumbed webpage anymore it just puts every page in there all of them with thumbnail, hundrets if you surf long enough, this is pretty bad and bugy behaviour because it just should put the main page in and not every singlesubpage or every site in this forum. Took me pretty much time to delete all of the thumbs and links but I see no option to disable it, Firefox keeps adding and ading pages like mad.

Please fix this, it really is not supposed to act like that.

Firefox 17 seems to be bugy  at the new tab tab overview page and I guess this is one big reason why the Browser is much slower than it schould be. You cant specify any thumbed webpage anymore it just puts every page in there all of them with thumbnail, hundrets if you surf long enough, this is pretty bad and bugy behaviour because it just should put the main page in and not every singlesubpage or every site in this forum. Took me pretty much time to delete all of the thumbs and links but I see no option to disable it, Firefox keeps adding and ading pages like mad.
Hi,

I've just checked and I don't see this behaviour.

Do you have a new tab manager add on that might be incompatible with this version of ff?

Do things improve if you disable the display of the thumbnails by clicking on the 3x3 square in the top right hand side of the new tab page?

Everyone who has a CC Pandora should really enable swap. Don&#39;t rely on zram.<br /><br />Edit: and delete your FF appdata folder just to be sure.<br /><br />Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br />
I have tried this, but it did not work.

Two times now i created a 1024 swap file, but it does not want to be activated.

There is enough free space on the SD.

Hi,

I've just checked and I don't see this behaviour.

Do you have a new tab manager add on that might be incompatible with this version of ff?

Do things improve if you disable the display of the thumbnails by clicking on the 3x3 square in the top right hand side of the new tab page?
Ok, I've deleted the thumbnail entries by hand, cleared every cache and history and now at least it seems that not every page I load is added. However, clicking on empry thumbnail fields or adding webpages by hand seems to be still not possible, somehow the scripts on that page are broken. 

I've tested it of course with disabled noscript and besides that I don't use any addons that could interrupt the thumbnail page. 

I wanted to avoid it but I guess I should delete my entire Firefox appdata folder, it's untouched since the first Firefox versions on my Pandora!  ^^""""

Back