Release Final Burn Alpha ported to Pandora (FAQ in first post)

Wellcome onto this board CrowRiot :)

I think you are the same person as the one on gp32x.de forum ..or no ?

Happy to see you are working on this...and maybe more projects for Pandora.

Thank's

Last edited by a moderator:
hell i seems i always pick the ports that make me troubles :-(

controls and visuals are working nice (testing sfa.zip) - not much trouble here, but the sound bugs me!

anyone who's more insight - is /dev/dsp working correctly?

controls and visuals are working nice (testing sfa.zip) - not much trouble here, but the sound bugs me!

I thought the dsp wasnt implemented yet?

You may want to jump into the #openpandora IRC channel for some realtime help.

Thanks for working on this!

I thought the dsp wasnt implemented yet?

/dev/dsp is a OSS interface (which is probably emulated by alsa) for playing sound :p

Define "correctly"?

I can "cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp" and echo the microphone back to the speakers... hold up, no I can't. The microphone device is gone. I can't record off of /dev/dsp anymore.

Ok, that's a really weird issue that I should probably bring up in the hotfix threads, but at any rate I am able to "cat sound.raw > /dev/dsp" (recorded from my desktop) and it works.

What issues are you having with the audio?

Thanks for working on this. I don't think anyone here would object to a soundless beta ;)
hey also thought to put out a beta (not in pnd, but just a binary) ...

Define "correctly"?

I can "cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp" and echo the microphone back to the speakers... hold up, no I can't. The microphone device is gone. I can't record off of /dev/dsp anymore.

Ok, that's a really weird issue that I should probably bring up in the hotfix threads, but at any rate I am able to "cat sound.raw > /dev/dsp" (recorded from my desktop) and it works.

What issues are you having with the audio?

actually i'm not sure yet what the real problem is: the sound works, but it seems that the runloop rendering and syncing to the sound does not work at all at the pandora.

i counter checked the rom with reesy's caanoo build - where the it works great, also with sound.

it's pretty much guesswork as yet that the device doesn't do it's justice - but it could also just the frame sync code that is not working on the pandora anymore.

or it's just ioctl(dsp,SOUND_PCM_SYNC,0) doesnt wait until the buffer is completely played. something like that - it gets better with increasing sample rate, but the sound is stil very noisy.

to be continued ;)

There are sound glitches in the MAME4All on the Pandora. Not sure its any frame of reference, but old games like DKjr have gltches every so often, not constant or consistent.

or it's just ioctl(dsp,SOUND_PCM_SYNC,0) doesnt wait until the buffer is completely played.
It's probably based on same messy Reesy's/Franxis sound output code that's in used pocketsnes, etc., that only works on GPH devices due to luck.

Using SOUND_PCM_SYNC makes no sense, read this and drop it. And if it's doing in separate thread like pocketsnes, then it will probably need more changes than that, but first try to get rid of SYNC.

If you can find original GP2X code take a look there, maybe it doesn't use Reesy's bogus code yet.

or it's just ioctl(dsp,SOUND_PCM_SYNC,0) doesnt wait until the buffer is completely played.
It's probably based on same messy Reesy's/Franxis sound output code that's in used pocketsnes, etc., that only works on GPH devices due to luck.

Using SOUND_PCM_SYNC makes no sense, read this and drop it. And if it's doing in separate thread like pocketsnes, then it will probably need more changes than that, but first try to get rid of SYNC.

If you can find original GP2X code take a look there, maybe it doesn't use Reesy's bogus code yet.

thanks notaz - that helps a lot.

yeah the sound code uses a separate thread and looks really strange to me ...

i might change the sound to use SDL instead of messing around with that ...

AWESOME news guys! Notaz to the rescue! ;)

I always thought this would have been one of the first emu's for the Pandora, as it was very polished and ran great on the GP2X, but sadly it got lost to the ages :p

Hopefully we'll be seeing this soon, as I can't wait to see the Capex frontend, and play some Aliens vs Predators, and Dungeons and Dragons fullspeed on the Pandora's fab screen. Good times ahead. Thanks to all involved.

Chris

no i'm not going to do this as an entry - i hope i can put some time into that tonite and then will give you a preview - the plain executable only, without any fancy launchers ...

if anyone is interested to collaborate, the capex frontend could also be ported ;) (sources)

*edit*

i wanted to put out a no-sound binary yesterday until i realized that the frame limiter also doesnt work here very well ... tried metal slug and this runs with > 100 fps which is quite cool performance wise, but not so fun for playing ...

Adding a basic frame limiter/throttler is pretty easy :)

Good show mate!

Looking forward to it! Adding pickle launcher or somethig nshould be easy, but porting capex shoudl be easy too. If you need help, ask :) .. someone shoudl be able to help out.

jeff

Is this based on a much earlier build ie will it play 68ec020 and sh2 games.

Capex ROCKS! That is what a frontend is all about, it doesn't get much better ;)

Chris

Anyone knows how to include nem mame drivers on the emu (a fast tutorial is welcome) ?

headoverheels give support to Thunder Hoop for final burn gp2x version, he talks to put the src, but the last days he is missing...

My intention is do a port for caanoo and wiz, because Thunder Hoop is one of the bests arcade ever made :)

I've done a quick port I it seems to work for donpachi apart from the framerate seems a bit off. Not really used fba before but I can't believe it is quite right the way it is.

Also, I tried hellfire and it ran really slowly.

What is working though:

video

sound

input

Binary only for now

to run a game in the same directory as exe is ./fba.sh ./gamename.zip

uses SDL and script will preload Notaz's lib.

Let me know how it works.

Dave

fba.zip

Attachments

• fba.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
Back