Release Filesystem questions

phrosty

Still Fresh
So the base filesystem will be read-only. Obviously we will install custom stuff on the SD cards, but will we need to manually start daemons? What about shortcuts showing up automatically in the UI?

Ideally it could be set up in a way that the kernel would check the SD card before reading from the base system, allowing us to overwrite files, add stuff to /etc/init.d, etc.

As far as i recall the base OS on the on board memory is write enabled meaning you can replace it if you want or at least cut down everything except a bare minimum needed to boot the system. I heard there was going to be a key toggle that can be pressed that tells the system to boot from the SD card/s.

I think a good idea is to reverse the toggle, only while an SD card is inserted. Possibly even have the Bios scan for a bootable OS on the SD card and load the Angstrom OS when it doesn't find one.

Again, there is nothing preventing a user from adding, replacing, or removing anything on the internal NAND memory. It is not read-only. We suggest that you don't mess around with the internal file system unless you know what you're doing, but nobody is going to stop you. Even if you do manage to screw something up, the Pandora can still be booted from a SD card. There will no doubt be alternative OS options available within a short time of release. If you want to boot one of these instead, you can do so from a SD card or replace the default OS on the NAND. Your choice.

Back