Release Fiat Homo (scene intro)

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Hi!
I'm back after a long time, with a new port/recompile of a new intro: Fiat Homo by Traction demogroup.

shot5.png

Released at Assembly'05 it ranked 4th.

Intro credits:
--------------
-Code, Concept, Design - Martti "Preacher" Nurmikari
-Music - Jukka "Grip" Alli
-Bitmaps - Erkka "Kofeiini" Pynnonen
-Additional code tidbits - Mikko "Vulture" Leppanen

If you are curious about the name here is the words from Preacher (the author):
I know the name will probably cause amusement among the less
literate party visitors, but for the Latin challenged, it translates into
"let there be man", in the biblical sense, and has nothing to do with people
who like to tune their cars ;)

Pandora port is based on the Linux/OSX port done by Waffle/ExHouse (thanks a lot for porting this), only changed resolution and some small adaptations to use the FMOD version we have available.

As usual is better to overclock your Pandora at minimum of 800Mhz, anyway there is some scene (like the jellyfish) that is not really in sync with the music (but maybe is also because the original win32 intro used miniFmod instead of Fmod one of the linux/Pandora version)...don't know maybe on a 1Ghz is better.
I packed this demo with the latest release of gl4es lib by ptitSeb (used the one in Oolite pnd).

Sources used to compile for Pandora are included in PND.

Enjoy!

Thanks, this is one of the best demos I've seen yet in terms of both the music and the artwork - and the binary is only 64k?!?

On my GHz unit running SGX driver 4.10 the music stayed in time throughout. There was some perceptive slowdown on some of the models, but the music kept in time after those points - maybe it uses events to synchronise the music throughout, rather than just having a tracker which happens to run at the same time. The first bit of slowdown happens for me when the grass grows - the scene just before the jellyfish, but the jellyfish are perfectly in time with the music. There was also some slowdown when the buildings and the dots in the sky appeared on screen in the hills scene. Maybe there was one more, I forget.

Thanks, this is one of the best demos I've seen yet in terms of both the music and the artwork - and the binary is only 64k?!?
Yes this demo is really really nice, but this is not a 64k one on Pandora, it was on the original release on Win32 thanks to the packer (kkrunchy by ryg/Farbrausch), my compiled executable are
about 1,5 mega but i left the debug info inside.

Thanks for testing, and i think when we have Pyra with 3D driver available we could see some more demos like this.

yay for more demoscene ports! I wish there were some more exclusives, but I guess the pandora wouldn't make sense as a target device for demo compos. Not challenging enough to code for ^^.
Thanks farox!

(and yes, the demo title did make me turn my head and wonder what the heck this was :D)

Here's a video of this on youtube I found via pouet.net:

It's a little hard to tell perhaps throught the youtube compression artifacts, but I can't identify any duplicated frames in the places where my GHz pandora showed slowdown, but as I say the jellyfish are still in time. It reminded me the other place my pandora slowed down was when there were lots of flowers on the screen.

It does look better on Pandora than that youtube video though. There's some audio artifacts introduced by youtube that shouldn't be there, and a messed up frame towards the back end of the video.

Hi all,

@Farox : thanks for porting this one to the Pandora, it's really appreciated :)

@xnopasaranx : I feel exactly the same about the lack of exclusive demos on the Pandora... Demos, homebrew games and coding competitions are the three things I miss the most on the Pandora :( The GP2X was better in that regard IMHO.

Cheers, Magic Sam

It does look better on Pandora than that youtube video though.

Uhmm YTube artifacts are present only watching the video with a smaller resolution...if i view this video on YouTube page, all is fine.

Would be nice, for comparison, if someone could do a video on a Ghz Pandora....mine is a CC and with some purple tint screen plague.

Hmm, I watched the 720p stream directly off the youtube server. There were definitely glitches when I saw it, but I suspect youtube does dynamic resampling when you ask for something other than the source resoltution. In which case, the artifacts I saw might be down to the particular machine doing the transcoding, using a specific version of the software, but the glitched frame and the audio artifacts definitely weren't right for me.

I'll have to see if I can get the video recording USB card I bought to work with my GHz Pandora's TV out.

Back