Fgen Wip Sonic 2 Video!!!

Huxley posted on Apr 19 2004 at 11:53 PM said:
Wolfsclaw posted on Apr 19 2004 at 05:34 PM said:
now, is this a n64<->genesis thread or one about the video?
You'd think so. :blink:

The video looks like they've got a very playable version of Sonic 2 running there. I'm impressed.

And the N64 was a decent console, but the SNES was Nintendo's finest hour. Try as they might, they just couldn't repeat that success and still haven't IMHO. The N64 had several major design flaws and poor 3rd party support...its only saviour was the fantastic and exclusive Nintendo software and a couple of neat hardware innovations (namely the four controller ports).

I'd take a DC over an N64 any day of the week. Then I'd dump them both for a SNES.
Yeah the SNES was definetly Nintendo's best. I loved the SNES. Every system they have released since then has been a big dissapointment. The N64 had textures that were so low res and blurry that it hurt my eyes YUCK. And they would release like 2 games a year! And they always seemed to be a stupid racing game. And the LameCube is a big downer I mean half of those games look like the N64! and that GBA connectivity to cube GIMMICK has got to be one of the WORST gimmicks yet. Nintendo really blows today.

The Dreamcast was very underrated. the textures were crisp and the colors were sharp. I have mine connected to a 21" VGA monitor and it looks so sharp and clear.

It is too bad but Sony has such a stranglehold on the market. I like my Xbox alot now, the bumpmapped textures and lighting look real nice, I hardly ever touch the PS2 anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Xbox, by their own admission is more of a multiplayer/online/sports console. The exact opposite of everything I like. Sure I like multiplayer online games, but not when they cost a monthly fee to play, which all Xbox online games require, the whole "Xbox live" thing.

All of that aside, the games look great, some nice eye candy there, and I miss not being able to play DOA3 (atleast Halo is on the PC now, however bad the port was) But I am a RPG/Puzzle, single player, or free to play online type of person, which means the Xbox, wont ever be my box.

Not to mention that it bears the name "Microsoft", which instantly, biasedly, puts it on my shit list. :)

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 20 2004 at 03:52 AM said:
The Xbox, by their own admission is more of a multiplayer/online/sports console.  The exact opposite of everything I like.  Sure I like multiplayer online games, but not when they cost a monthly fee to play, which all Xbox online games require, the whole "Xbox live" thing. 

All of that aside, the games look great, some nice eye candy there, and I miss not being able to play DOA3 (atleast Halo is on the PC now, however bad the port was) But I am a RPG/Puzzle, single player, or free to play online type of person, which means the Xbox, wont ever be my box.

Not to mention that it bears the name "Microsoft", which instantly, biasedly, puts it on my shit list.  :)
Actually I don't play ANY online (don't have live) games, I hate sports games, and never played any multiplayer games on it. They are trying to hype online which is why someone may think that is what it is for. I play single player FPS games and action adventure, action RPGs and stuff of that ilk. I am a graphics whore and will play the system with the most in that "cool graphics effects" catagory. Stuff like Arx Fatalis, Max Payne 1,2, Morrowind, Deus Ex II, Halo, Armed and dangerous, Rainbow 6 3, and others of that type.

My computer is way too old and weak to play any games of that type anymore so that is why I don't do that.

As for the Xbox being Microsoft, yes that is the thing that most don't like about it. Oh well, like I said I'm a graphics whore so I can't help myself. :)

Well I have a 2.6ghz AMD Athlon PC, so I can play all of those FPS's without having to buy a M$ console (I play most in linux too), my video card has S-Video TV OUT and I have a Playstation to USB converter, so I can play all of my PC games on my TV with my Dual Shock controler. Except I find that FPS games are horrible on the consoles, you really need a mouse, atleast, for me. And Xbox, that I have seen, doesnt have very many RPGs or similar, a couple new games that were recently released and one or two that have been in the works forever like Fable, but not enough to compare, for me, with what the PS1 and PS2 offer.

The FPS's on the Xbox look great, and the fact that you dont have to have specific hardware or install anything makes console games nice, however, I cannot really play a FPS with a controler, even dual analog, I NEED a mouse. Yes I know there are mice and keyboards for the consoles, but hooking a mouse up to a console and playing on your TV just never sat well with me since SNES released Mario Paint. :)

Xbox has a few nice titles, I just wish they didn't steal the DC controller and bloat it up for THEIR controller :p

But my view on the consoles...

SNES, Genesis, DC, and Neogeo are like the triforce of gaming goodness, Give me one of each with 10-12 games each, and i'm in heaven. (PS2 is great for it's library too, but it's price, recent lazy support, and grotesque add ons turning it into xbox junior for only twice the price shove it out of the circle)

RoboJoe32 posted on Apr 20 2004 at 06:15 AM said:
Xbox has a few nice titles, I just wish they didn't steal the DC controller and bloat it up for THEIR controller :p

SNES, Genesis, DC, and Neogeo are like the triforce of gaming goodness, Give me one of each with 10-12 games each, and i'm in heaven. (PS2 is great for it's library too, but it's price, recent lazy support, and grotesque add ons turning it into xbox junior for only twice the price shove it out of the circle)
Make up your mind, is it a circle or a triforce?

Honestly, I dont rightly see how 4 consoles can form a triforce...or a circle for that matter...maybe a square, sure, but not a triforce or circle...

My favorite consoles (for commercial games) are Nes, Snes, Genesis, and PS1. Although PS2 has a few great games. Dreamcast I use for emus, homebrew, and games like DOA2, Soul Calibur, MvC2, etc...

The xbox has to be the greatest Homebrew/Emulation console. It has far overtaken the DC in this respect for me.

Emulation on it is superb- N64, Playstation, Snes, Genesis, etc etc.

You dont need to pay monthly to play online. There are tunneling programs available which are arguably better since you can play Halo online if you have the xbox networked up to your internet connection.

thinking of RPG's..... I love KOTOR, but that now has a PC port. I am definitely looking forward to Fable too.

I also have Gentoo linux running nicely on the xbox which is nice.....

It really can do many many things.

Whats the point? Really?
You can just as easily hook your PC up to your TV, and run emulation 10x what the Xbox can handle. (I have done this on many occasions) Not to mention the millions of PC games at your disposal, and the larger ram, etc... Xbox isnt much smaller than a standard PC. XBox is basically a low end PC that auto runs the game in the CD rom. If you are using it as an emulation / OS platform, why dont you spend $50 more and get a decent PC?

I have a decent PC.

And my Xbox is actually a lot smaller than my PC. I use it as basically a portable console. I am constantly transporting it from various different houses. It also doesnt need a mouse, or keyboard to run and for games its much easier to use.

With an Xbox, you are guaranteed to be able to run future games, With my PC at the moment, I can pretty much run Far Cry nicely, but I know that by the time Halo 2 comes out, this may not be the case. I doubt very much if I could make a PC capable of running Halo 2 and KOTOR perfectly for $50 more than I paid for my Xbox.

Its just much more convenient. There is no need to run Linux or Windows on it, and access to Mp3's, Video's and Emulators is painless and fast. With an Xbox, I also get round stupid resolution problems on the TV.

Also, what emulation have you been doing on your PC which is 10x what the Xbox can handle?

In my opinion (having had a PS2, GC, DC, N64 and PS1) The new consoles have hardly any classic games, this is my opinion. On the PS2 all I liked was FFX, there where other good games but none classics in my eyes; Same with the cube. The Dreamcast on the other hand had a good handful, not alot but it didnt live long. The N64 had many classics such as Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye (which I personally dont think is amazing but I still admit its a classic). The PS1 was a great maching imo; Final Fantasy 7 - 9, Crash Bandicoot 2/3 etc. So many classics :)

Out of the current generation of consoles I would rather have a modded xbox.... just to play all the old classics, the same reason why I got a GP32 :)

Anyways on topic..... I cant wait for this... Will be sweet, I have been playing Sonic on SMS/GG for a while ^_^

Heh, this thread has gone madly off-topic. Probably my fault too...

But anyway I have a SNES, DC, Saturn, N64 and PS2 sitting around my tv and they all get used.

I use the PS2 the least though, since I completed MGS2, ICO, GTA3 & Vice City I only have Pro Evo left to play. Hence I think older consoles had more good games to play.

X-Box really only has Ninja Gaiden and that Panzer Dragoon game that isn't also on PC, I'm considering a chipped one but I'll only buy those two games for it. GC has a few games I'd like, Zelda Four Swords looks cool, but there's not enough to make me want to buy one.

Video still looks great!

Let it go offtopic. We've said all that there is to say about the video, imo.

Glad to see we have a decent community of console players who defend their consoles the right way instead of missing the point entirely and relying on the 'I relax on my couch and play games on my 48" plasma TV without having to install a thing' argument :)

RoboJoe32 posted on Apr 20 2004 at 06:15 AM said:

Use the Xbox "s" controller it is much better and it is about the size of a PS2 controller. I had that big controller that came with it and it was like holding a pumpkin while playing a game :D

With an Xbox, you are guaranteed to be able to run future games,
You really think so?

In 2-3 years when the new xbox (xbox 2 or whatever) is released, do you think these new games will play on your old xbox? No, no they wont. You will have to upgrade your hardware (console) to play these future games. How is that any different than a PC?

And you can get nice 3ghz PCs that are the size of the GameCube, much much smaller than the Xbox. Some people even go so far as to put their xbox in a PC case, again, whats the point in that?

Xbox [....] I use it as basically a portable console.

Thats the first time I have EVER heard the word Xbox, and Portable in the same sentance. I wouldnt consider anything thats the size of a small child, portable. I've seen these things on display at EB, I could fit 4 PSones or GC's into one Xbox, thats not in any fashion portable.

. It also doesnt need a mouse, or keyboard to run and for games its much easier to use.
Really now? What PC _needs_ a mouse? None. You can hook your controler up to your USB port just like you would on a console system.
And if you dont want to bring a keyboard or mouse of any kinda you can easily setup windows or linux to use the analog and buttons as a virtual mouse can easily take the PC, and your gamepad over to your buddies house for a lan party. Simple, easy, effective.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 21 2004 at 01:05 AM said:
With an Xbox, you are guaranteed to be able to run future games,
You really think so?

In 2-3 years when the new xbox (xbox 2 or whatever) is released, do you think these new games will play on your old xbox? No, no they wont. You will have to upgrade your hardware (console) to play these future games. How is that any different than a PC?

And you can get nice 3ghz PCs that are the size of the GameCube, much much smaller than the Xbox. Some people even go so far as to put their xbox in a PC case, again, whats the point in that?

Xbox [....] I use it as basically a portable console.

Thats the first time I have EVER heard the word Xbox, and Portable in the same sentance. I wouldnt consider anything thats the size of a small child, portable. I've seen these things on display at EB, I could fit 4 PSones or GC's into one Xbox, thats not in any fashion portable.

. It also doesnt need a mouse, or keyboard to run and for games its much easier to use.
Really now? What PC _needs_ a mouse? None. You can hook your controler up to your USB port just like you would on a console system.
And if you dont want to bring a keyboard or mouse of any kinda you can easily setup windows or linux to use the analog and buttons as a virtual mouse can easily take the PC, and your gamepad over to your buddies house for a lan party. Simple, easy, effective.
I totally agree with Declaration on this one. He's not saying that the xbox will be able to play xbox 2 games, but more like it will be able to play all the games made for it over a 4-5 year period (until the system dies), much longer than the lifetime of a PC to play top of the line games. Actually, I love the xbox, as do several of my friends (we play a lot of Halo), and we think that the xbox 2 is going to suck. The main reason why I got an Xbox was because it was the best machine available (best hardware, load times etc.) The fact that it will be coming out first and will not have a hard drive will make me not want to buy it. Most xbox owners are not fanboys at all, in fact I think it's impossible to be a microsoft fanboy :p . We have no bias against or for microsoft. We hate Sony because they are cocky about their success even though their hardware falls apart, and we are okay with Nintendo, but we hate Nintendo fanboys. Gah I hate the fanboys!

And about portablity. The xbox is more portable than a Desktop, and better for LAN gaming than a laptop with it's four controller ports, as you can only fit one person on a laptop. Makes for some nice one on one games, but not everyone has a good laptop (and especially not everyone has the same games to play). 2 xboxes can equal 8 people, and six don't even have to own anything.
Sure, PS2 and GameCube are way smaller (especially Gamecube), but why would you ever WANT to bring your PS2 or Gamecube to a friend's house? I mean, every single time I go to one of my friend's houses (the ones that own xboxes), I pull my 50 foot ethernet cable out of my room and put it in my backpack along with my xbox, and then when I get there I go to the other side of his house and play him and his brothers/friends in Halo (which I have gotten pretty good at over the months). I mean how often can you do that with any of the ther consoles? Halo is by far the most fun multiplayer CONSOLE game ever invented, and the fact that EVERYONE has it (who has xbox) makes it even better for LAN games. It (xbox) fits in your backpack easy. The Xbox is easy enugh to carry around, basically all you need is a controller, 2 wires and the unit. Much better than even a small desktop for portability.

Looking over this post, some of this stuff seems to be stretching a little, but it's hard to convey what I'm trying to say in words... I have an xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, yet I think xbox is best simply because of the hardware lets it excel so much further... anyway you know what I mean

made for it over a 4-5 year period (until the system dies),

A 4-5 year period? What in your wildest imagination can possibly think that the Xbox 1 will have a life span of that long?
The Xbox's competition, (Playstation and GameCube) have official scheduled release dates for their new systems to arrive in mid to late 2005. To compete, Microsoft will need to release a new system on, or arround, this date as well. They havent officially announced a date, but you can be sure that its not more than 2 years away (which would put it 1 year after the PS3, which is about the same as when the Xbox was released compared to the PS2) So at max, the Xbox has an active commercial life span of about 2 more years. (not really counting the two or three games that will still be released on the system after its successor is released)

And about the PC and upgrade thing, I always have a PC that can play all of the latest games, and I upgrade about once every 3+ years, about the very same life span as the latest console systems.

And Halo? Thats for the PC too.

The Xbox really isnt more portable than a Desktop. Maybe the desktops you own, but there are many designed specifically to be used for LAN and they are the size of a GameCube, MUCH smaller than an Xbox. With high end CPU's and graphics cards.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 21 2004 at 02:08 AM said:
there are many designed specifically to be used for LAN and they are the size of a GameCube, MUCH smaller than an Xbox. With high end CPU's and graphics cards.
And how much do they cost?

Memnoch posted on Apr 21 2004 at 05:20 AM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 21 2004 at 02:08 AM said:
there are many designed specifically to be used for LAN and they are the size of a GameCube, MUCH smaller than an Xbox. With high end CPU's and graphics cards.
And how much do they cost?
You get what you pay for.

But thats not the point, the point is that there are computers much much smaller than the Xbox.

I am not arguing that you shouldnt get an Xbox or that Xbox sucks, or anything remotely close to that. I am talking about all these people that scream "Get an Xbox for emulation!" or "With an xbox, you can play all future games!" ect... Claiming that somehow playing emulation on your TV with an Xbox (or any console really) is somehow cheaper and better than with a PC (I can get a new 1 ghz PC that can play SNES, GENESIS, PSX, N64, etc... emulation on my TV for about $70 to $100), or that xbox (or any console) doesnt require you to purchase hardware upgrades every 3+ years to play the newest games. Or any number of exagerated claims.

If you like all of the Xbox only games, then by all means get an Xbox (I know I would love to play DOA3 :( ), but dont evangalize it as some emulation godsend or the like, because, its not, really. Sure it may be able to out do the existing consoles, as far as emulation and homebrew are concerned, and emulation is proably a really nice extra, but thats all it is, an extra.

And as always, remember my arguments are friendly! In no way do I mean any disrespect for anyone here, I just love to take opposing views and argue the point. :) Especially when I am extremely bored waiting for my GP32 to get fixed up at mashmods... B)

Back