Dimensions Of The Pandora And Screen

christo930

Does anyone know the dimensions of the pandora in inches and ounces? What about the screen? The only thing I find is 4.3" wide screen , but I don't know what that means. Can someone post how high (inches) and how wide (again, inches) Also, the dimensions of the keys would be nice. I am conisdering saving up for one (ED video a day series is really making me want this). Last but DEFINATELY not least, is there any decent ebook software (with dictionary or the ability to add one of the free ones)? As a bonus, if anyone is using the Pandora as an ebook reader, maybe you could do a quick review of that functionality. (or maybe ED could dedicate one of the daily videos).

Chris

This isn't in the right section, so I'm going to move it. Then, if you'll give me a few moments, I'll measure mine and edit some answers into this post. :)

EDIT: Ok, the dimensions are as follows;

When closed, the Pandora itself is 5.7" wide by 3.4" high, and 1.1" deep. The base is 0.12" deep when open.

The screen is 3.11" wide and 2.4" high.

I've never had any cause to weigh it, so I'm afraid I can't tell you the answer to that. :p I also haven't done any book-reading on it (yet?), so I'll have to leave that one to someone else.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

christo930 said:
Last but DEFINATELY not least, is there any decent ebook software (with dictionary or the ability to add one of the free ones)? As a bonus, if anyone is using the Pandora as an ebook reader, maybe you could do a quick review of that functionality. (or maybe ED could dedicate one of the daily videos).
A port of calibre ebook reader/manager have been done. As chuckr explain in his post it work well but need packaging (to be distributed and easy to use to anyone)
But don't worry that will be sorted out.

And there are others softwares already available (evince is installed by default...) and more will be available when you'll get your pandy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
start slowly....
http://www.open-pandora.org/
then work your way into the
http://pandorawiki.org/Main_Page

In grams, 335g. In ounces, 11.8oz.

Something I did to get a feel for the weight was to take the weight of the unit in coins and hold it in a small container. I think I used pennies, of which I had a lot in my coin jar. It's pretty weighty, heavier than my PSP-1000, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this in bed while on my back... projector ftw, I suppose. :D

... but I'll still have to wait for my Pandora and TV-out cable for that. :p

-Tj- said:
...I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this in bed while on my back...
It's not too heavy that you'll have any problems holding it for long -- however the screen will probably keep falling shut in that orientation ;)

carlgeorge said:
-Tj- said:
It's not too heavy that you'll have any problems holding it for long -- however the screen will probably keep falling shut in that orientation ;)
Doesn't for me. Using the touchscreen is pretty awkward though.

My biggest gripe is the touchscreen seemed kinda loose. So If you move around in bed you can kinda waggle the screen and then it will either snap shut or closed (I think that's what is ruining my LCD cable)

But weight wise it's fine...

WizardStan said:
carlgeorge said:
-Tj- said:
Doesn't for me. Using the touchscreen is pretty awkward though.

Additionally, if you are using earphones with a straight jack instead of a bent one, and are leaving the pandora resting on your body, the hard part of the jack will be poking your chest/belly.

carlgeorge said:
-Tj- said:
Does it really move that much? I bought a replacement case for modding purposes, but when I put the lid into the hinge the fit is already pretty tight. Granted I didn't screw the bottom half shut, but it feels pretty rigid. Guess I'll try screwing them together today to see if there's a difference.

-Tj- said:
Does it really move that much?
it doesn't move that much, at least not for myself and several others. Loose hinge may be a rare problem. If you move it around it might swing open or closed, but for the most part it holds itself pretty well.

Back