FAT32 with 16M free space is still corrupted

I tried moving from the first PNY Micro SD Card to the other using the Pandora and I found glitches in my PCSX emulator after loading save states.
So they're all micro SD cards you're using?

Definitely time to get an ordinary SDHC card, even a modest size one for the time being (class 4 SanDisk work just fine, really cheap now too).

FWIW - I avoid removing cards when the machine's on. Just to be sure.

Not that cheapo, surely?
From what I can glean, they source their memory from all over - not a manufacturer, so you never know what it is. Toshiba sometimes.

They are the brand I always see in Aldi and Lidl promotions, make of that what you will..

I suspect the fact they're Micro cards in an adapter is worth eliminating, maybe PNY Sdhc cards are actually OK, just not this configuration?

It could also be the be a faulty adapter. I've had a micro-SD to to SD adapter die on me while it was stored in one of those plastic cases the SD cards ship in.

- Neelix

Any card suggestions?

@Asmo

The first PNY card of mine (the okay one) is a Micro SDHC card, the other PNY card is a regular SDHC card (which caused glitches and sometimes couldn't read nor format it). The SanDisk one is of course, a Micro SDXC card (the one that corrupts my programs).

@Wally

Wal*Mart?

Last edited by a moderator:
. The SanDisk one is of course, a Micro SDXC card (the one that corrupts my programs).
Did you format it NTFS in the end? Remember ED's caution:

I suggest using GParted (either a LiveCD or the Pandora version) to format it to FAT32.

Using an NTFS with the Pandora is bound to lead to issues.
As for cards, SanDisk all the way for me!

Could be PNY is part of the problem, you won't be able to eliminate that unless you try one of the cards that seem to be problem free.

Any PNY users here? I googled them for problems, and the results were pretty mixed. SanDisk works flawlessly for me, others here will have their own experiences.
Asmo is correct, SanDisk cards are excellent and best for Pandora in my experience. I've encountered problems using (8GB Blue) PNY Cards with Pandora in the past: somehow the data seems to degrade on them over time, for example MP3s will become juddery and sound broken, until recopied and then the degradation process begins again.

Its a very bad idea to put PNDs on a PNY card - half the time they dont show up on your OS at all or the data will corrupt or degrade. 

In my view it's worth paying a little extra for SanDisk cards if you have to, i've had no problems with their Ultra and Extreme Card types, they seem very durable under FAT, NTFS and EXT. Never had any issues with my SanDisk cards, i guess you get what you pay for.

But after moving from a PNY card to a SanDisk card, I encountered problems. Should I keep the SanDisk card I have now and start all over with it, or should I send it back and buy a certain SanDisk card?

But your Sandisk is a Micro Sd not a regular SDHC card isn't it? Not many of us have tried, much less regularly used, Micro cards - so it's hard to say if that in itself is an issue. If you really want to continue using them, maybe your first step should be to get another Micro SD adapter, a different brand, and see if that helps. Any sort of connection problem in the adapter could cause corruption.

FWIW I'd stick with a max of 32Gb in size too, you won't have the formatting headaches then either.

First off are you sure it's getting corrupted and not a PND displaying bug? Sometimes I need to either log out and back into XFCE, or just re-insert the card or manually refresh the list of PNDs when in minimenu to make recently added PNDs to show.

Also when copying a large amount of data, like over a Gig.. wait like 2 minutes before ejecting the media.. chances are it still may be writing to the card even if the file says it's done copying.

I appreciate every advice you all gave me.

Right now, the SanDisk card cannot be returned, while its internal memory downsized itself during different kinds of formatting. The only device I have that it can be used for is my Panasonic DMC-ZS8 Lumix camera.

@TrashyMG

Should I copy from one card to another using the Pandora or my PC?

See also:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11868-pcsx-rearmed-problem/

Pandora isnt really designed for card-to-card copying, it will be a lot faster using PC.

What else can we look at there? It says SanDisk, and if it IS a genuine SanDisk then it should be good. If you bought it from eBay or something, there's no way to know until you give it a test.

I have a couple of class 4 16Gb SanDisk cards that have never let me down, and I run the OS from a 4Gb SanDisk class 4.

Remember all the warnings about fakes out there, only buy from a reputable seller - even if buying from Amazon for example, be wary of 3rd party 'marketplace' sellers, go for a card supplied by Amazon themselves and you'll be safe.

Back