XFCE toolbar became sort of corrupted

fvig2001

Still Fresh
Since I had issues with the battery contacts (due to the battery being loose), My pandora ended up shutting down incorrectly many times, this eventually caused my xfce toolbar to become corrupted. The quickstart icons became boxes with some sort of tools in them and the pandora "start button", became a text label "xfce". The battery indicator percentage/time left also disappeared. Is there a fix for this? I also apologize if I have been sounding way too needy lately :D . This is the only time I can play with the Pandora due to XMAS vacation from work.

Thanks!

The easiest way I can think of to solve this problem is to create a new user with the UserManager tool. Once created copy the /home/[NewlyCreatedUser]/Applications/Settings/xfce4/panel to /home/[You]/Applications/Settings/xfce4/panel. Log out and log back in and you should have a default panel again. You can then delete the donor user with the UserManager.

^ I'm pretty sure that the fix is simpler than that. ;) (At least, it is if this is what I think it is. :p )

1: For the Pandora-menu button, right-click the text label that it has become, and click "Properties" in the menu. You'll be able to find a bunch of options, including the ability to restore the image that it was formerly using, or use a different one (there's an option to use an image for it, basically). Don't forget to turn off the option to show the button's name as text, or this won't work.

2: For the quick-start icons, right-click them, and also click "Properties". It just sounds like they've lost their icons, and you'll be able to browse for them and re-instate or replace them this way, much the same as with the Pandora-menu button.

3: I'm unsure on the procedure for the battery indicator, but it's likely to be a matter of right-clicking the panel, clicking "Add New Items", and finding the relevant widget to add there. If it ends up in a spot you don't want it to be, right-click the newly-added indicator, and click "Move" - you'll then be able to place it where you want it to be.

I hope I've got this right, and accordingly I hope this is useful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively I believe you can simply delete the 'xfce4' folder from within a directory (I will link to when I remember it) and then reboot. It will rebuild a default toolbar panel by Pandora magic ;)

edit: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55190-solved-taskbar-has-disappeared/page__p__890716&#entry890716

Offers a terminal way of doing the same.

Or from further in the thread, backup the directory Xfce4 here: Home>UserName>Applications>Settings>xfce-4' then delete the original and reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I tried the deleting the xfce-4 folder in appdata on ~<me> and it didn't work after I restarted without saving the session. I just deleted the quicklaunch icons and then unchecked the show text label property of the pandora menu. Good enough for me :D . Thanks for the help.

Well easiest not always best as the old adage suggests :)

I know I used that method with my first unit without issue but hey ho and glad you got it sorted and I didn´t do any damage with that link.

Back