F200 Review At Pocket Gamer

The use of AA batteries is okay. The only reason to go for proprietary batteries would be battery capacity. What is IMO really missing is a battery charge circuit. A Gp2x runs at least 3 hours on batteries, which is more than many laptops do. However, the lack of a charging circuit makes the Gp2x less mobile, it cannot switch from AC to batteries without reboot and when you arrive at location you cannot plug it in and continue. Instead you need to remove the batteries and put them into a charger. With a charge circuit, your Gp2x would always be fully charged when at home, and you could simply take it have have several hours of mobile fun.

lubidog said:
Blimey you lot! Calm down! Namco, mate-what are you gonna do? Beat him up (ooh, hard!)

This is all a bit over reacted, really.......
Agreed. I think overall the article was a good thing.
And I find it very funny that the main focus of this thread seems to have been the batteries ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Playdough said:
lubidog said:
Blimey you lot! Calm down! Namco, mate-what are you gonna do? Beat him up (ooh, hard!)

This is all a bit over reacted, really.......
Agreed. I think overall the article was a good thing.
And I find it very funny that the main focus of this thread seems to have been the batteries ;).

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I was really missing it!

I for one wouldn't want to rely on GPH (here today, gone forever tomorrow is their policy on replacement parts) for batteries.

Blah said:
I for one wouldn't want to rely on GPH (here today, gone forever tomorrow is their policy on replacement parts) for batteries.
I have to agree with this comment, quite right!

As to the review, I thought it was fine, but this thread was (IMHO) insulting to the reviewer, who was clearly working within a tough word count and did a good job of 'selling' the machine.

I played with a friends F100 and thought the joystick was rubbish, it was that bad I would never have bought an F100.

Now, I do think it was worth mentioning the 'homebrew' aspect of this console in the review, but I really don't think that was a selling point for people thinking of buying a GP2X. For me it was the Emulation which was the major selling point, the excellent 'homebrew' scene was a nice surprise.

In short, I thought the article was fine.

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

As I said before, the majority of people that are drawn to the GP2X are interested in emulation first and foremost (that was certainly the case for me and practically everyone else I've spoken to that has one) and therefore my review aimed to reflect that...if the word count had been limitless then I would have covered homebrew but after I'd spoken about build quality, battery life, ease of use, etc, etc, it didn't leave me much room.

I've since dipped into homebrew and found some excellent titles, so I fully expect others to do so.

Think of this way - my review may not give homebrew the credit some of you feel it rightly deserves, but is it really such a bad thing when you consider that people may purchase a GP2X off the back of my review with the intent of playing emulators, and then go on to discover homebrew as well? Surely that's a good thing?

I bought it for the homebrew, liked the idea of having Quake, Doom, and Super Smash Bros. (or a clone of it anyways) all on one handheld. and hearing about games that were coming out like, Payback and Vektar. To me emulation was an added bonus. Even now the only emulators I have on it are NES and MAME.

Oh and about the batteries, why doesnt someone make a rechargeable battery pack that fits into the back, that way everyone can have thier way.

Back