Pocket Gamer Interview Craig Regarding Pandora

Great interview, how come stuff like this wasn't in an official FAQ?

Even the Prime Minister has Question Time!

"You will be able to play games like Quake III with ease and at the cutting edge even Doom III"

wat

Great interview. It's more details and information like this that will push myself and other's into picking up a Pandora.

I really want to be part of the initial "3000", but my concerns is with being part of that early adopter group. I really would like to see more details about future production volumes.

PoisonedV said:
"You will be able to play games like Quake III with ease and at the cutting edge even Doom III"

wat
Doom3 would be at the limits of what you could expect from the 3D hardware, but remember it would be at a lower resolution on the Pandora and also although ID have said it will go open source, it isn't yet, and I did write that it isn't open source yet in the interview, it would also need some hacking to lower the RAM needed, although they did get it running on the Xbox with 64MB.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Doom3 would be at the limits of what you could expect from the 3D hardware, but remember it would be at a lower resolution on the Pandora and also although ID have said it will go open source, it isn't yet, and I did write that it isn't open source yet in the interview, it would also need some hacking to lower the RAM needed, although they did get it running on the Xbox with 64MB.
I thought the Xbox version was a complete rewrite?

"A complete desktop environment is already up and running – Ubuntu will run on the Pandora."

Does that mean we now know what the pandora's OS will either be, or be based on in the end?

ljones

ubuntu?!
wow...
actually confirmed. that's quite something.
and 5 bucks says the pandora sells out less than a week after preorders start.

Good stuff. Though Craigix, from my uberlurking over the past year or so, I'd assumed you and Michael were already discussing things before Jadon brought up the possibilty of the OMAP? Or had you not known he was a pcb designer before Jadon made the original offer?

Good to hear :) thanks duddy and craig

Doom 3 has been supposed to release for a while now so its anyones guess as to when. Its really not important with all the other stuff we already have though. Xreal might be a possibility too.

and craig, a few months ago you mentioned writing out the whole backstory of the pandora's development. Is this still planned or is it too complicated now?

Yeah, I expect Doom III engine based games (and Quake IV engine-based games, since they are so similar) and their mods will run with relative ease, maybe with a bit of texture size reduction.

The internet is the future and it does not need Microsoft.

We can all hope that happens soon. :D

greendots said:
Doom 3 has been supposed to release for a while now so its anyones guess as to when....
ID has told journalists that the Doom III source will be released sometime after Rage comes out.

ljones said:

"A complete desktop environment is already up and running – Ubuntu will run on the Pandora."
Does that mean we now know what the pandora's OS will either be, or be based on in the end?

Ubuntu is capable of running on the Pandora. Though nobody has compiled it specifically for the Pandora board yet, you can watch a video of Ubuntu running on the Beagle Board (which uses nearly identical hardware) to get an idea of the performance.

The Pandora will ship with a much simpler UI that is more suited for a handheld device. If you wish to install Ubuntu, the option will likely become available shortly after launch (if not before).

Back