Pocket Gamer Interview Craig Regarding Pandora

I say smack-talk away! See a vulnerability and attack! HACK THE BONE!!! HACK THE...

Sorry about that. And I just wanted to add, I don't think that there is a problem with a little critisicm when it is due. Even if Craig was referring to GPH directly (which he wasn't) I think the comments were fair. GPH did drop the ball a fair few times. And the wiz is further proof IMHO

Ashwin said:
i think your hoping people don't start asking for a dreamcast emulator like they did for n64 because someone said it was possible but i'm not sure

DC Emulation has been confirmed already. Check the 'Theoretically speaking, is the Pandora at least capable of Dreamcast..." thread. It's going to be worked on by the same guy who is working on the PSP DC emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to read the interview.

But.. Doom 3 - I'm very sceptical ;)
Like an N64 emulator 'runs' on the GP2x, so Doom 3 could 'run' on the Pandora.
However if Doom 3 ever runs well on the Pandora, I'll be buying one; then again I may get one anyway 200 quid appears a bargain.

EDIT: And yes, the impression is that craigix does bash GPH often of this forum whereas ED is above this kind of thing.

Doom3 isn't so impossible once the source is released (which should be sometime late next year).
The game works with surprisingly good graphics on the Xbox1 (which only has 64mb ram as mentioned), and if you render the game not at 800x480, but at 400x240 on the pandora it has an even lower resolution and a regular TV.
So yeah, it is pushing the hardware, but it could be actually playable.

craigix said:
The perceived criticism was not my intention at all, I was just explaining how the Pandora came about, I mean I could hardly say 'everything was perfect so we decided to make the Pandora' there was obviously a need for it.

The wacky westerners comment was aimed at the whole bunch of 'MP4' style machines which seems to be flooding in to ebay, my original answer has been edited by Pocket Gamer, I actually wrote about checking ebay to see the huge selection of them.

Remember with almost all interviews that they are edited for space and impact by the publishers.

But, you were right though. It is obvious that all these Asian companies are making electronics just for the sake of making em in the hope they might be good without thinking about what the consumers really want.

jbrodack said:
It was really the "wacky westerners" comment that got to me and made the other comments look worse, such as, "We hired a company in China to help us design the PCB and this turned out to be about as bad as our relations with the Koreans" and overall kind of seemed almost anti Asian.
As an Asian, I kinda see what you are saying, though I didn't really read it that way.
I don't think Craig's comments were directed at a specific race.
Could he have phrased it more politically correct, probably.

The thing is, no one out there were looking at designing a machine like :pandora1:. If there were, we would've already seen one. I don't blame the Chinese designing group for not grasping our need. Many engineers/designers are so locked into what they were taught in school that they don't see beyond the basics. This is not just the Chinese, we have them here in US as well. They are probably too used to designing cheap mp4 players (not their fault, it's driven by demand) that they don't see the value of the new design.

I'm glad the :pandora1: is getting all these exposure. The success of this machine will mean more useful, better working apps/emulation/tools for my machine.

jakshep2 said:
Cool... COOL?!
It wasn't cool!
It's EPIC!
Doooooooom Threeeeee!
On a handheld!
*Dies of excitement*

The bit that made me read again was:QUOTE
you will be able to run things like Open Office, Firefox and PC emulators with ease, or even run a complete programming environment.

Up till now people seem to have been saying Open Office is unlikely and that a complete programming environment would not be practical. So, assuming Craig wasn't mis-quoted, does he know that they will work or just assuming?

TaG said:
you will be able to run things like Open Office, Firefox and PC emulators with ease, or even run a complete programming environment.

Up till now people seem to have been saying Open Office is unlikely and that a complete programming environment would not be practical. So, assuming Craig wasn't mis-quoted, does he know that they will work or just assuming?
Impractical is not the same thing as impossible. For example, I could put a GPS into an old cassette walkman. It'd be impractical, but sure as hell would be possible.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
TaG said:

Impractical is not the same thing as impossible. For example, I could put a GPS into an old cassette walkman. It'd be impractical, but sure as hell would be possible.

-God Ginrai
But surely he would not make specific reference to apps working if those apps would be very poor and criticised?

I think it's a case of 'notebook fever'... You know, when there's somebody sitting in front of you with an open notebook and a pen, you can't help but take a plunge and make the boundaries seem like mere stepping stones.

I think it's great, if for no other reason, then because it will force the team to push the limits of the Pandora to meet the generated hype... Its one thing for a large corporation to stretch the truth a little bit... Big deal, they just maybe 5% of their potential customers... But for a project that is dependent on the community like the Pandora project--especially a skeptical community--a fudged bit of hype can destroy them.

Back