ExFAT - cutting through the BS [SOLVED]

mount.exfat is just a symlink to mount.exfat-fuse

You don't need the & at the end.

I'm packaging a PND installer for this. I'm going to have to put in a more recent version of mount itself too, which is needed to make "mount -t auto" work for exFAT, which is needed to make the auto-mounting of volumes upon insertion work. The current firmware has mount version 2.17 (actually it's part of util-linux), and exFAT support in the auto detection of file system types was added in 2.18, but I tried it with the latest 2.22 and that seems to work fine (although I broke my SD install by installing all of util-linux 2.22, one of those other tools broke stuff).
Derp, that's what I get for looking at it in WinRAR on a Windows machine..

Does the mount program background/fork itself, ie visible with a ps, or is it doing something else to somehow be resident?
Yep it stays visible in ps so I guess it backgrounds itself.

I'll update the internal formatter tool to check whether exFAT is installed or not and offer formatting as well.

Also, would it make sense adding this into the community codec package?
I guess that would make sense. Although I'm more in favor of keeping things a bit separated so you can choose to install what you need. If you only have 32GB or smaller SD cards, this is not going to be very useful. Maybe instead of having one big community codec installer, we should make a simple meta-installer that gets called when you first boot the device, and which offers to install (or not, with checkboxes or something) all kinds of useful stuff most people will want, like PNDManager, the codec pack, ntfs/exfat support, timidity, openbox, sysinfo, etc etc.

@_wb_: In case you consider modifying the GParted PND so that it contains the ability to format ExFAT, please ensure, that the nasty bug "multi step operations fail, as device gets auto-mounted inbetween, kernel thus forbidding the next step" (fixed by sebt3) does not re-occur. Thanks!

Dang you're fast.  I was looking forward to beta testing this late tonight and you already have a .pnd?  Nicely done!

After some use/testing/etc....  Next question:  Should this be rolled into the next version of the codec pack?

Yes - you can edit to [sOLVED].

Thank you!  I look forward to being able to interchange phone & camera cards on my Pandoras!
If you tried it, and it works for you, it's probably a good idea to add a comment on the repo. The disclaimer I put in the description is probably a bit intimidating, but I don't feel like uploading an update just to change that description, so maybe some positive comments will help.

thxs for this, found a few bugs when using my exfat card in 2nd slot that holds my game dumps when using snes9x4p or pcsx and you try to navigate to the dir. it shows no data. the card itself is shown just no data.
the data is all on it can use file manager np and can navigate to my music on the card using smplayer. had some music playing and playing pcsx from dumps on my1st card and works great well back to testing around

sorry for the necro but it's the nearest from ExFat software release thread as I could find...

like Kirkanos mentionned in april last year, and like Wally also reported here http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/6546-pcsx-rearmed-with-a-new-gpu/page-56#entry335312

I also seen that exact problem with Panplayer2. I can browse my files without any problem using thunar, I can watch movies using XBMC but when using Panplayer2 I only see the mount point, there's nothing inside. PCSX and snes9x4p also seems to suffer from the same issue.

What could the problem be? are these applications using some hardcoded thing that prevent them to use filesystem different than Fat32 and the other usual suspect or is there a problem with ExFat?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the necro but it's the nearest from ExFat software release thread as I could find...

like Kirkanos mentionned in april last year, and like Wally also reported here http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/6546-pcsx-rearmed-with-a-new-gpu/page-56#entry335312

I also seen that exact problem with Panplayer2. I can browse my files without any problem using thunar, I can watch movies using XBMC but when using Panplayer2 I only see the mount point, there's nothing inside. PCSX and snes9x4p also seems to suffer from the same issue.

What could the problem be? are these applications using some hardcoded thing that prevent them to use filesystem different than Fat32 and the other usual suspect or is there a problem with ExFat?
Just to be clear - you're using ExFAT as your primary partition on a card mainly for use in your Pandora?

I had envisioned - and i think the main use of this is - to be able to read/write files to/from ExFAT formatted media on a file/directory interchange basis.

I.e. I have the 128GB card formated ext2 in my left slot with all of my Pandora stuff on it and I put an ExFAT card in the right slot, copy files to/from the ExFAT card and to/from the 'main' ext2 card, remove the ExFat card, put it back in the camera or phone and go on about things.

For ongoing operations of a Linux computer, I'd recommend media formatted with a Linux oriented format (ext2-4).

Could you theoretically use ExFat if you jumped through all the right hoops - maybe.  If something in an emulator was calling the device/drive at a lower level than FUSE, there could/would be issues.

I'm using an ExFat card on my secondary slot just to keep video and big files like that... unfortunately even some simple media player like panplayer2 have issue with that...

not tried that directly, I'm using xbmc curently as that one works with ExFat

not tried that directly, I'm using xbmc curently as that one works with ExFat
SMPlayer 2 has much better performance than XBMC. If you care about smooth video, you should use Smplayer2 imho.
And PanPlayer2 Zoom from the Repo has same Performance(maybe bit better than SmPlayer2) but is much more easy to use without Mouse ;)

Try it for Video playing and you will be surprised ;)

Edit : Oops read too late that you had tried it,sorry for that Post.

Back