Hardware Exact process dance of the nubs.

Caanunoo

Hello,
is there a precise procedure for the dance of the nubs in order to recalibrate these ???
When a nub does not work properly, Should we do the dance on screen on or off?, Turn the nub left or right ?, For how long ?, etc ...
Please, tell me the exact process.
Thank you.

The nub dance is something of a joke. If it ever worked it only gave me a temporary fix.

There's no on-screen or off-screen. Like mouse inputs, the pointer is bound to the screen.

I would generally do up-down and left-right a couple of times then go round about half a dozen times (usually clockwise I think), but I'm not sure I ever read this anywhere, I just do that because it should give the microcontroller a decent idea of where the physical limits are if it's paying attention.

In terms of duration I'd take a few seconds doing that, so it's quite quick. I found the gameplay of the game NubNub gave a decent approximation of the nub dance also.

Ok thank you for the answer.
So, if I understand correctly, the dance of the nubs does not solve the problem definitively. :(

Basically just flailing the analogs around. I've seen better results from just resetting the nubs in the nub configuration tool. The Pandora Nubs have weird issues, I remember the original release of Mupen64 had some configuration were you can tweak the calibration offset on specific axes(axis plural) and it magically cleared up the issues I had for that emulator only.

Menu / System / Pandora Input Tester.

Move maximum and minimum to X and Y axis (like a plus). See visually if up is up, or diagonal. rotate half circles around that "bad" axis to make it learn.
added bonus: If it can read max and min values, it should become yellow.

If this does not work, reset nubs and try nubdance again:

Menu / Settings / Pandora nub configurator

Reset nubs, then read rub settings (from Default).
If defaults are "joystick" and you want a mouse, choose a mouse and a keys, then write config.

If still not OK, open Pandora, remove nubs (so you see the plastic stick), blow inside rings to remove debris. Careful, the rings could be fragmented and getting them back in a ring to put the top back again is np-hard.

Last edited:
Yes, when I've used the input tester, I've seen that actually the outline of my nub's travel is clipped and is actually somewhere between a D and a proper O. Either that or it's not moving at all in one axis. When I'm actually looking at it, the nub dance seems especially ineffectual and you can be doing it for dozens of seconds and having almost no effect, which helped prove that if it ever worked it was likely wishful thinking.

Resetting the nubs does work, but only for less than 30 seconds before they go wrong again, I've found with my nubs. Since it takes something like a dozen seconds to get into the pandora settings applet, and I never got round to scripting it, you actually eneded up spending much of your time opening the applet and resetting them if you need them. I guess if you're using a desktop application, you can actually leave the window open and alt-tab back to it, but if you're using them in a full-screen game it's not practical to keep resetting them like that.

But I've had differing problems or lack of them in different games for reasons I don't really understand. I gave up playing Super Stardust back in the day because of nub troubles, but nub nub generally worked well. More recently, I was able to play oolite to fly around using the nubs. It probably helps that my nubs almost always center at 0,0 so an offset isn't what I'm looking for really.

My First Batch Pandora has really good nubs, very little issues with it. My rebirth the left nub would occasionally go wonky on me. My 1GHz unit the Left nub barely worked when getting it brand new, would go wrong within seconds of resetting it, no amount of dancing fixed it, recently I had my Left nub replaced by ED when I sent it back for another issue.

Back