Evildragon's Cebit Speech Now With English Subtitles

Hi,

I've downloaded the three videos on youtube as usual (I do not have flash), and... I only have subtitle on the first video.

Someone know how to fix this ?

nerach said:
Hi,

I've downloaded the three videos on youtube as usual (I do not have flash), and... I only have subtitle on the first video.

Someone know how to fix this ?
I'm not sure you can get the subtitles on the second and third ones without flash, as they are using the youtube subtitle feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can't get thoses subtitles, I'll not be very suprised but this is really not cool.

Google is so EVIL sometime...

^ Google bought Youtube, so technically it's a bit of both, maybe. They _could_ use something else, if they wanted.

Fishbong said:
Joy and jubiliation! It suddenly and unexplainably works again. Perhaps my ISP is to blame?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt27l77hoXc

Fishbong, I hope you don`t mind, I have edited your first post to include the link to
your third video translation, And have change the topic title to reflect that. :)

Thank you very much for doing this, Especially for us that are too lazy to learn
the language. :D

Trooper

mali said:
They _could_ use something else, if they wanted.
Not and maintain the level of compatibility that (unfortunately) Flash has. It'll still be a while even before HTML5 is widespread enough that they can rely on it.
And even if it were, it wouldn't help in this case. The video wouldn't contain the subtitles if downloaded anyway, and I honestly wouldn't want them to. Idealy, you'd be able to download both the video and a separate srt file.

WizardStan said:
nerach said:
Adobe is so EVIL sometime...
Fixed that for you.
I said google because youtube use Flash and, youtube with HTML5/H.264 do not support Firefox nor Opera nor uzbl (an awesome browser), etc... I'm perfectly able to play h.264 with my player but not in my browser.

This is google answer when I try to play a video on youtube with HTML5

1268676713.png

The video wouldn't contain the subtitles if downloaded anyway, and I honestly wouldn't want them to. Idealy, you'd be able to download both the video and a separate srt file.
That'd be so cool !

Attachments

• 1268676713.png
    1268676713.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 96
nerach said:
I said google because youtube use Flash and, youtube with HTML5/H.264 do not support Firefox nor Opera nor uzbl (an awesome browser), etc... I'm perfectly able to play h.264 with my player but not in my browser.
They've been using Flash for a long time because that was the "standard" for so long. It's not really their fault (actually it is, they helped make it the standard by not providing anything else, but I don't think that makes them evil). They weren't intentionally excluding you out of malice or anything, simply because there wasn't any other viable solution.
Using h264 is a victim of circumstances: the WWW not committing to a standard, and Youtube already keeping their videos encoded in h264 well before the HTML5 spec came to light leads to using h264 as an obvious choice for them to broadcast in. There is rumour, however, that Google is looking to obtain the next version of Theora (or some other codec perhaps, I seem to have messed up this critical piece of information, but anyway) with a license which will be compatible with the open source projects in a way that h264 is not. This is decidedly an un-evil thing to do, in my opinion. I have no explanation as to why Opera wouldn't support h264 though.
Adobe, on the other hand, allowed and encouraged that their product become a standard, and now aren't able to keep up with the increased demand for it. They say they want Flash to be available to all platforms, but release incomplete specs and make deals with companies to trickle out the plugins that are complete to the highest bidder first, and then hold off for all others.
Youtube (and by extension, since they purchased them, Google) may not be entirely innocent in all of this, as they didn't really do anything to counter the wave of Flash, but that hardly makes them evil.

I'm totally with you EvilDragon. Games don't really have any soul anymore. It's all just business projects. There's no love put into games these days.

A few games do have still soul, though. :) (Hehe, how I'd love for something like the recent Mega Man 10 on WiiWare to be on the Pandora. It's the first game to hold my attention like old times since, well, the old times. :p )

nerach said:
It's more accurate to say Firefox and Opera do not support HTML5/H264.
They have decided to only support Ogg Theora in their HTML5 implementation.

I can't say I'm entirely pleased with the decision, I feel they're doing more damage to open standards by basically preventing HTML5 from being a viable contender to Adobe Flash, than they're ever going to gain by pushing Theora.

nerach said:
The video wouldn't contain the subtitles if downloaded anyway, and I honestly wouldn't want them to. Idealy, you'd be able to download both the video and a separate srt file.
That'd be so cool !
The .srt files are available from the Pandora archive, but it always takes a day or so for the files to update, so just be patient.

I noticed that on Linux, the subtitles on Youtube have bigger fonts, causing them to not quite fit the video area. I wonder why that is, is the Linux version of Flash different from the Windows one?

didn't want to start a new thread for this, and it is somewhat on-topic (in that it's another cebit video w/ED) but I saw this & thought others might be interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFIePwBnRM&feature=related

it's yet another rundown of the basic pandora features, etc. however it's got some very high quality, well lit close-up shots worth seeing.

WizardStan said:
nerach said:
They've been using Flash for a long time because that was the "standard" for so long. It's not really their fault (actually it is, they helped make it the standard by not providing anything else, but I don't think that makes them evil). They weren't intentionally excluding you out of malice or anything, simply because there wasn't any other viable solution.
Using h264 is a victim of circumstances: the WWW not committing to a standard, and Youtube already keeping their videos encoded in h264 well before the HTML5 spec came to light leads to using h264 as an obvious choice for them to broadcast in. There is rumour, however, that Google is looking to obtain the next version of Theora (or some other codec perhaps, I seem to have messed up this critical piece of information, but anyway) with a license which will be compatible with the open source projects in a way that h264 is not. This is decidedly an un-evil thing to do, in my opinion. I have no explanation as to why Opera wouldn't support h264 though.
Adobe, on the other hand, allowed and encouraged that their product become a standard, and now aren't able to keep up with the increased demand for it. They say they want Flash to be available to all platforms, but release incomplete specs and make deals with companies to trickle out the plugins that are complete to the highest bidder first, and then hold off for all others.
Youtube (and by extension, since they purchased them, Google) may not be entirely innocent in all of this, as they didn't really do anything to counter the wave of Flash, but that hardly makes them evil.
Yep, everything is right.

Maybe google will release a new codec based on the On2 VP8 maybe not... wait&see
I hope they do it it'll be good move for the web

Yes, Adobe try to put flash everywere and finaly, the support of Flash is limited to the x86 world. ARM, PPC, etc... arn't supported.
The Linux version for x86 is working but, it still use a lot of CPU resources, and make browser crash sometime.

Aninhumer said:
nerach said:

I can't say I'm entirely pleased with the decision, I feel they're doing more damage to open standards by basically preventing HTML5 from being a viable contender to Adobe Flash, than they're ever going to gain by pushing Theora.
I think it's a good decision, because, if Mozilla have suffisant resources (money) to pay the 5M$ evry year to the MPEG LA, small projet can't do that.
just a small quote :
Back to Basics: H.264 Licensing Terms said:
nerach said:
That'd be so cool !
The .srt files are available from the Pandora archive, but it always takes a day or so for the files to update, so just be patient.

I noticed that on Linux, the subtitles on Youtube have bigger fonts, causing them to not quite fit the video area. I wonder why that is, is the Linux version of Flash different from the Windows one?
while the Flash for Windows is using DirectX, the Linux is using hook into OpenGL

No problme, I can wait some days for .src file.

Thank you !

Do we open a new topic to talk about this ?

nerach said:
Aninhumer said:

I think it's a good decision, because, if Mozilla have suffisant resources (money) to pay the 5M$ evry year to the MPEG LA, small projet can't do that.
Mozilla and others are still perfectly able to use the OS's video libraries to play the video, an approach which makes much more sense from a technical point of view regardless of legal factors. Since both Win7 and OSX can play h264 out of the box, and most Linux distros have easy access to packages available which allow it, this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Fishbong for subbing! You did a great job, please do the rest.
And ED, you're the king!

Fishbong said:
Mr B said:
EvilDragon is a lier, or the translation is messed up. He early in this new part said that open source forums are more friendly then others. Com on. This forum, more friendly then others? Noobs get there head bitten of weekly.
No, the translation is quite accurate i assure you. This is a very friendly board if you are not a lazy kid that just wants to get his "OMG 50Gigabytez MAME ROMZ COLLECTION xxx_fulloftrojans.to_xxx" working and doesnt want to rtfm.
But I like MAME! :troll:

Back