Evildragon's Cebit Speech Now With English Subtitles

peca said:
EDIT: In this way (I guess) even ED can add subtitles to his original video.
Originally, i wanted to just send the .srt files to ED so he could hardsub his videos with them. At the time i wasn't aware of the closed captions feature of youtube. His reply wasn't really conclusive, but he offered to send me the original videos. So i made the .srt for the first part, uploaded it to the Pandora archive and notified ED, but he didn't answer. So i ended up grabbing the videos from youtube and doing it on my own. If he wants to, he can still add my subtitles to his videos, i'll be updating them on the archive, but for now it seems he has more important business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fishbong. Looking forward to the next vids. ED rocks! He's got the quiet cool, which seems to balance out Craigs antics. Very well delivered presentation ED.

Yes these were good, id also like to see the others with subtitles please if you get time

and ive only just found this resources page of EDs after hearing what he said there about collating the games for those [me] that enter the scene late to save having search through loads of old pages
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi
saved! :D

I want this wiz game of mario war to be available on pandora
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,164

Thank you, Fishbong. I attempted to watch them earlier without subs but after three minutes I gained nothing.

Watched both. Very interesting.

I would love it if you finished another one or more, as would others.

(276 views on first video, 269 of them who started thought it was interesting enough to watch the second vid... there is interest.)

Thanks for all the appreciation.
As mentioned in the other thread, i'am alreday working on more parts, expect another one within the day. Actually i wanted to get two parts out this weekend. However i spent lots of time yesterday trying get headphones working :( My new K50AD notebook arrived on friday and i wanted to run Linux on it. It's my second try at using linux on PC, the first one failed spectacularly in 2003 when i installed Suse and gave up on it within an hour. But now i'm very happy with ubuntu, still feels a bit unusual but very fast and accessible. Anyway, there seems to be a bug that disables headphone recognition on some systems with intel HDA sound. I can find forum threads about it that date back to 2006. WTF Linux? There are some fixes, but apparently i'm still too noobish to get them working. I'd hate to have to use windows just because of this, although at some point i'll probably need it anyway to run some games incompatible with WINE.

So, for now i'll be working without headphones. I'm currently a 70% of part 3.

And also, when i said "if there's enough interest" i didn't mean "you all need to beg me" ;) . Seriously, some homebrew devs here got way less attention for their apps which i am sure were much more time consuming to make. So its kind of emarrassing, i didn't do that much.

I don't use linux on my laptops/netbook because WinXP gives better battery life. They have the money to either get the manufacturer to optimize for them or optimize their OS for the extended battery life. I use Ubuntu at work and just ssh in all the time.

Edit: They = Micro$oft

senorgomez said:
They have the money to either get the manufacturer to optimize for them or optimize their OS for the extended battery life.
Not sure, off course, but all major distros should have all power saving features enabled now days. So either the Linux OS is ineffective, and requires more CPU time to run, or something is wrong with your statement. Since Linux always have been claimed to have a smaller footprint the Microsoft OS, i find it hard to believe that the first part of my assumption is the correct one. Especially on a more up to date hardware, where XP isn't possibly optimized for the type of hardware, and the CPU supports power saving the OS never heard of, and as such cant control. (Which means that has to run under the thumb of the BIOS, or not at all)

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying i highly doubt what you say is a correct, and general observation in todays systems. If you on the slim off chance are right. That means anyone running Linux at home is a complete ass, and are burning of more power with the only reason to be able to say "I'm not running a Microsoft platform at home" and this would be one of the first, and major arguments against Linux today...
B!

senorgomez said:
I don't use linux on my laptops/netbook because WinXP gives better battery life. They have the money to either get the manufacturer to optimize for them or optimize their OS for the extended battery life. I use Ubuntu at work and just ssh in all the time.Edit: They = Micro$oft
i have a Dell Inspiron 1420 with a 9 cell, 85Wh battery that i've used in dual boot with more then a few Linux distros and found that with a base install i got > 30 min more battery life then running Vista. i've now got Win7 and Slack13 on it and they seem to be on par with each other but i'm sure once i learn to optimize Slack for power-saving Linux will win out over Window$ as usual

[edit] sorry for double post

Finally had the time to watch these. I like informative videos like these so many thanks both to ED and Fishbong :)

I prefer the subs in the 2nd video, they are easier to read.

For the most part the subs were really well made, I watch a lot of subbed anime so I should know. Here and there the text could have been shown a bit longer, this is a bit tricky and hard to get right. I can just rewind or pause so it's no big deal but if you want to get better here are a few tips. Not saying that I found all these things in your videos but useful tips.

Longer sentences always needs more time, people can have trouble reading with too much on screen etc. Complicated, unusual or unexpected words will take longer to read, if you can you should consider using simpler and more common words. If possible you should consider writing the same thing with less words, some are not necessary to include. Sometimes something takes a lot less time to say in one language but requires a lot of words in the subs, just try to slow down the text speed in these cases. The text doesn't have to show during the time it takes to say something but can be shown a little earlier and then hang on a bit afterwards.

Thanks again for taking your time and effort to sub these videos, I'm looking forward to the next one :)

Back