Ethernet adapter

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I bought this. It works great, gives me some USB ports, and lets me wire up my network

However, every time I connect it, it won't let me use the network until I run the command

sudo dhclient eth0
Should this be done for me automatically? If not, is there a way to get it to happen automatically?
Cheers

My USB ethernet adapter doesn't connect automatically either... however I don't need to run a command... for me I just choose the connection in NetworkManager.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your questions, however I really appreciate you sharing what you are using and how it is working out for you.  Eventually I want to pick something like this up, and the more things it works with the better.

With all adapters I've tried (8-10) I only have to enable USB, then select the interface (bnep0) in the network manager.

Under Slackware it's faster, I just enable USB.

The NetworkManager for the Pandora is quite old and I notice doesn't have all the features that the current version does... like setting autoconnect  on a wired connection.

Maybe I just needed to select whatever showed in NetMan, I didn't really know what I was doing, and only did dhclient because somebody said to.

So, is there a way to do this? or am I going to need to try and start my Pyra location app early, with a trigger of "Device Installed"?

Try - 

sudo mousepad /etc/network/interfaces

add the following to the bottom

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

that should auto-connect whenever eth0 is available and connected.

Try - 

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
This works for me, however for some reason my USB Ethernet adapter shows up as bnep0 instead of eth0 which the interfaces file claims to be for bluetooth...

So I just added "auto bnep0" above the "iface bnep0 inet dhcp" line already there... I needed to restart networking to pick up the changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try - 

Code:
Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Only just seen this, thanks. I'll try it later

LOL i was just about to open a thread about this thing. What about the speed?

Whilst I've bought it and connected it, not had much chance to try it out yet, I'm afraid

Performance seemed to be pretty decent, though I didn't get a whole lot of time to play.

I wanted to try a Twitch stream on something other than "Worst", but I can't find my TwitchBox app any more

Back