Escape From Zombie City

That video is awesome! The music is great, and the gameplay looks inventive and challenging. The lightsaber guy was classic. From the looks of it, you've gotten alot farther than the last update. How long do you think it will be until it's finished?

Once again, outstanding work.

bowz said:
That video is awesome! The music is great, and the gameplay looks inventive and challenging. The lightsaber guy was classic. From the looks of it, you've gotten alot farther than the last update. How long do you think it will be until it's finished?

Once again, outstanding work.

thanks very much, bowz. i have gotten quite a bit further, although to be fair, i did not show my full hand with the WIP (nor am i showing it now). it's hard to say how long it's going to be before it's completely done, i'm still trying to meet my goal of having it done by the end of the year, but i'm not sure whether or not that's going to be possible. but expect another, more involved WIP in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
kurtkz said:
@t money: Love the video :) Will this game be made freeware or will it be sold in the GPH store?

i will definitely have a free version of it. i may also put up a version for sale on GPH store, which may or may not be the same, and may essentially be a way of taking donations for those generous souls out there. i'm still too far away to know what any differences i would put into the pay version might be if any, but i wouldn't simply downgrade the free version to make a pay version more appealing.

Hi,
Tried the game. Its look really cool!
I can't wait for its stable version!

It crashes after a few minutes of gameplay for me. Not sure how to go about debugging, just thought I'd throw it out there (Unless that's a feature of it being a 'WIP' :p)

Pobega said:
It crashes after a few minutes of gameplay for me. Not sure how to go about debugging, just thought I'd throw it out there (Unless that's a feature of it being a 'WIP' :p )

consistently? i didn't do a lot of testing on the wiz version, does it happen when something specific happens? my guess is that it's music related, but i'll take a look. thanks for the heads up.

Hey really great game, I'm looking forward to the final version!

If I may give some feedback:

1. I've had it crash to Wiz menu once but also get major slowdown (so the game almost stops) every now and again, there seems to be no consistency in this though the slow down has occured mainly when I go into the sewers (I'm not sure but I think the music has stopped playing by then so it could be a sound bug).

2. The game seems rather tough (for me at least), not impossibly so but points can arise where you're swamped by zombies and cannot move as they keep on grabbing you, even when you try to run. Also, would there be any health or healing facilities in the final version? Would a difficulty option be possible for us who are not very good (limit the max number of zombies, max damage etc)? Also, will there be saves in the final version? (Are there saves now?)

3. How exactly do you push / pull crates? I did it once but don't know how (I hammer, A, move the d-pad but get nothing).

4. My only real gripe is the opening of gates / guessing the panel, its time consuming and always just seems to be the final combination I try, any chance of at least pausing the game when you do this?

However, the game itself is really fun and I am really impressed by the quality of the animations and the intelligence of the AI controlled character, it does feel like they are controlled by another player.

Hope this feedback comes across as constructive and not me just whining...

t money said:
Pobega said:
It crashes after a few minutes of gameplay for me. Not sure how to go about debugging, just thought I'd throw it out there (Unless that's a feature of it being a 'WIP' :p )

consistently? i didn't do a lot of testing on the wiz version, does it happen when something specific happens? my guess is that it's music related, but i'll take a look. thanks for the heads up.
It was consistent across the three times I played it. After a few minutes of gameplay it would just slow down to a complete crawl and inevitably crash.

And no, every time it's been different. It doesn't really seem reproduce-able, except for the fact that maybe it's because I'm running it from Gmenu2x?

well, i think this is a memory leak issue. not sure what's causing it. RoyLanga, your comments are most welcome. to push a crate, press the A button, and then press it again when the meter is in the red. i do plan on having health be restorable in the final version, and there will be saving your game. i make no promises about a difficulty setting, although it's a possibility. the gate colors are randomly generated, so it's just an unfortunate coincidence if it's been the last one you've guessed. the gates themselves are meant to be a bit of a challenge, and for you to get the correct code in, to be under pressure. i may alter how the gates work, i'll see how much of an issue others have with them. my suggestion for the gates is to start by guessing the colors which are either before or after the missing color, e.g. if you have: R ? B G, i would first guess Red, and if that didn't work, guess Blue, and then if that didn't work move on to either Green or Yellow. This way you are moving the cursor around the least, and it's easier to keep track of what you've already guessed.

i'm off to trying to find my leak.

well i'm pleased to say that i'm 99% sure i've weeded out the problem. there were actually 2 bugs in one function, spent all day pulling my hair out, looking for the second one in every other place except that same function. i'm going to put up a link to the fix in a little bit so you guys can hopefully confirm the issue is resolved or... not.

alright, here is the fix

zomb.dcb replaces the existing file in "bgd-zomb/zomb" and
the obj folder replaces the existing folder also in "bgd-zomb/zomb"

this will also fix it for the caanoo version, the bug is not as big of a problem on the caanoo, although if you are playing long enough, you will run into it.

also, i made a slight change in that cars directly in front of you are transparent. let me know if you like that better, or if i should put back the way it was.

AzureStarline said:
I really want to try the final version :D

me too :p . it's going to be a while though, i got burned out on ZC after making the most recent WIP, and i've been working on another, non-game, project. i promise it will happen, i've put too much time and effort into it not to finish it, but don't expect anything soon.

Obus10 said:
video looks great, hoping for a full release soon ;)
I agree, looks amazazing, i have a pandy and i really hope this is playable though ginge.

Back