Escape 3D [Demo]

kurtkz

Hey guys,

been working on a side-project and I finally have something to show - it's a ball-platformer-puzzle game. The idea was to make something to show off the G-sensor on the Caanoo, but I haven't quite reached that point yet. Instead, here's a Wiz build (the Caanoo version isn't too far off). Included is only 1 level, but I *do* have a completely procedural level generator (you can edit the levels by hand too).

Link: download

Controls:

D-pad -> roll ball
Select -> switch camera mode
A/B -> move camera horizontally in freelook mode
Y/X -> move camera vertically in freelook mode
L+R -> quit game

Tiles:

white -> slick tiles, you're ball will gather speed on these
grey -> crumbly tiles, these will crumble if you linger too long on these
skull -> squishy tiles (I know, these names suck), these will squish you if you get too close
skinny -> bridge tiles, these are just very narrow, so be careful when crossing them
circle -> jump tiles, these will boost you ball in the air - you can control the ball in the air
flag -> check point - if you die, you'll restart the level at this point
purple cylinder -> target - reach this to finish the level
ramp -> slightly raised tile - you need to gather momentum to get across this obstacle

As with Origamigolf, the physics is editable per tile type in the level1.dat file. If anyone cares to give this game a try, some constructive crits are most welcome. I doubt that I'll ever turns this into a fully-fledged game as I just can't think of a way to make it *fun* (barring the usual time challenge mode).

Cheers!
Kurt

Nice! Just tried it and it works fine. But I think slightly faster movement and acceleration would probably make it better. Also, camera rotation might be useful in addition to zooming.
Would be interesting to see that procedural level generator in action. That coupled with some different level themes could make it a cool pick up and play game for a quick go now and then.

well it's already pretty fun. I agree with Imerion about the camera view. It also needs a good music and sounds :)
Also some part of the level like the larva are blinking a little.

@imerion: Good points - I'll add camera rotation to the next version. I'll also adjust the speed and acceleration. Actually, I'll add those variables to the level config file...

@mnm: Thanks for the feedback - I'll add music and sounds once I have the basic game finished. I just haven't had any time to work on this game or Origamigolf. Will get started again in a week or two :) By blinking do you mean that the texture flickers? I think that's because I turned off texture filtering...I'll try it again with texture filtering on.

Thanks again for the feedback people; when I have time I'll build a Caanoo version as well.

Cheers!
Kurt

And also add the possibility to make small jumps, it will add more possibilities to map making.
Yes i meant flickering.

Back