Emulator Popup Menu Idea

naples39

After seeing Squidge's implementation of the transparency hack, I got the bright idea that you could expand this concept to encompass many more features from an in-game menu. Combing that concept with the GP2x hardware test screen, I came up with this possible in-game menu:

popup9ya.png

The concept is based on the idea that pressing both volume buttons at the same time would pause the emulation and bring up this menu. I think potentially it could work pretty great to have all those options right at your fingertips for quick access (obviously each emulator would use different options for each button depending on needs). Admittedly, I have no idea how hard this would be for a dev to put in their porgram, but I think there is real potential here. Thoughts?

Some things could be even simpler. Frameskip, turbo toggling, or screen size could be done on the fly pressing the thumbstick and something else, without stopping for a menu.
Save states, control toggles, layers, and other features would work pretty well with a menu like Naples suggests.

I used both volume buttons in snes for selecting the different layers you want to see. However, one problem I came across is that whilst changing volume, you can accidentally hit both at once. My solution to this was that the layer selection was only active whilst both volume buttons were held down. Your implementation could be difficult to access this way, so it would need some testing first.

But otherwise, nice idea!

Back