Emulator Idea

KickinWing

Arguable Idiot
Website
Visit site
I wanted to start this because of an experience I had at the flea market on Sunday. I was waiting on some customers and i was in the middle of a game on OSnes9x and i had to pause it, by the time i came back my batteries were dead.

Here's the idea. Is there a way to mod an emu, or make an emu so that when the game is paused that the clock speed could drop to like 66mhz or something like that to conserve battery power? I know some emus that if you go to the menu the clockspeed drops but sometimes i don't think about that or I have to pause in a hurry.

Best thing would be to use a savestate, and then it uses zero battery power, and you can carry on from where you left off at any point.

But for quick pauses, a speed drop would be nice idea.

KickinWing posted on May 31 2005 at 03:07 PM said:
I wanted to start this because of an experience I had at the flea market on Sunday. I was waiting on some customers and i was in the middle of a game on OSnes9x and i had to pause it, by the time i came back my batteries were dead.

Here's the idea. Is there a way to mod an emu, or make an emu so that when the game is paused that the clock speed could drop to like 66mhz or something like that to conserve battery power? I know some emus that if you go to the menu the clockspeed drops but sometimes i don't think about that or I have to pause in a hurry.

Well, if you don't go to the menu, it's near impossible.
How should the emulator know a game is pausing?
Just determining by pressing start wouldn't work - as Zelda, for example, puts up a menu pressing start, no good to drop clockspeed in this case.

Last edited:
Not all games pause when you press start. The emu cant detect a "pause". But that doesn't matter. All youd have to do is enter the emu menu by pressing L+R and then press the button for the function. But then you might as well just save and power off.

Just remeber to use the menu button instead of pause in the future because for example in some fighting games pause is block.

Not all games pause when you press start. The emu cant detect a "pause". But that doesn't matter. All youd have to do is enter the emu menu by pressing L+R and then press the button for the function. But then you might as well just save and power off.

Detect? I tell the emu that Start=pause on certain games. No detection needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just enter the menu? It pauses the emulation itself no matter what, and the emulator knows when it's in its own menu. :p

Edit: Argh, I completely missed that it was said above. I can't read or something. :S

Must have been away from the game longer then he thought he'd have to be... Also saving takes a couple seconds, and there ARE times in life when every second counts. Perhaps switching to the menu itself should drop the MHz to a lower level just while in the menu. When working in the menu, you don't need over 100 MHz. then it could just leap back up to whatever speed when the game is resumed.

agree with the ones who said that it just needs a snapshot, after the snapshot you can easily be back right here you were, and it doesn' t consume no battery when the gp is off

Back