Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

@WizardStan: Thanks, I'll probably do that

@TrashyMG: Yep, same here. 

I've tried installing a windows gog game with the gog installer with wine, but I couldn't get it to work. No matter what I tried, it always told me "Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted." At first I thought it was because it was trying to access a temp folder in a place where it didn't have access, but even after starting exagear with sudo exagear, and setting up wine for root (.wine folder belonging to root), I still get the same message. Anybody has any idea where that can come from?
Installers are not the most portable software there is. Try to install the game on a windows machine (or maybe on a linux PC under wine), and then copy the installation directory to the pandora

Well in my case I just symlinked the .wine directory to my SD card.. crude, but does the trick.

@WizardStan: Thanks, I'll probably do that
Good luck. Not everything respects the $HOME variable though so it may not work. As also mentioned, symlinking the .wine directory will definitely work.

Setting the $HOME variable seems to do the trick so far. I'll probably make a script to run exagear with this (though I might add symlinking just to be sure).

As for the setup failure, I once was able to start a gog installer, I thought it was due to some changes I made, but when I tried again for the exact same file it failed. I thought it might be related to memory problems so I created a swap partition (and scare myself in the process as my Pandora refused to auto mount my sd cards after restarting. By the way, do I have to put them in the fstab? I don't remember ever doing it before...). It seems like it has solved the problem since the installer now started on the first try.

In related news, I was able to play King of The Dragon Pass. It seems to run well but there are a few problems with sound (music is played too fast most of the time, and sometimes adjust to the normal speed).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fallout Tactics looks playable as well, with dimag0g's OMAPFB fix. Sound has problem as well and it's not full speed, but from the little I've played it seems playable.

Somebody mentioned GameMaker.

Was wondering if this would allow you to run both the Linux exports and Windows (through WINE)?

I'm kinda wondering: would this be worth getting in its current state for running some 90's PC games, or would it be better to wait for the community to work some Pandora-specific optimizations in with it more first? I'm mostly interested in running the old Fallouts on my Pandora from a usability standpoint, and tinkering with getting some other games to work as well for fun, but for $30 I guess I want to make sure it's viable in its current state. I have read over the thread and it seems pretty damn nice, but I just want to make sure.

For old windows games without 3d hardware acceleration (such as Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics) it's usable. Sound is far from perfect and it might not always be fullspeed, but it's playable. Hopefully, with some optimizations we can get better sound and 3d hardware acceleration and more games playable, but there's no way to know if it will happen or not.

I'm kinda wondering: would this be worth getting in its current state for running some 90's PC games, or would it be better to wait for the community to work some Pandora-specific optimizations in with it more first? I'm mostly interested in running the old Fallouts on my Pandora from a usability standpoint, and tinkering with getting some other games to work as well for fun, but for $30 I guess I want to make sure it's viable in its current state. I have read over the thread and it seems pretty damn nice, but I just want to make sure.
Just to make it clear: exagear interpreter itself is a closed-source proprietary software, and the possible community contribution to it is limited. Also, exagear is made to be run on ubuntu (and maybe debian, but I'm not sure), and it is a community effort to run it on SuperZaxxon.

Other than that, exagear works quite well. I play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on it with my wife and friends, and I'm quite happy with it. I have already bought a second license I will use on Pyra.

I have received an e-mail from Eltechs about a new version of ExaGear. It's supposed to have, among other things, better performance and sound improvements. 

I'll keep you posted if/when I get it and have time to give it a try.

I have received this e-mail message too...but i'm in the same situation (no free time) as ElPoco.

I didn't get the email :(

Of course, I haven't actually activated mine yet, I'm saving my key for the Pyra.

Just emailed for the update, if the statement of having better sound support is true that will be great. 

Guys, email to all who bought ExaGear of previous version was sent (in fact two emails :) ).

To whom who did not bought repeat here 

Today we released a new version of ExaGear which enable to run x86 apps on ARM devices.  

• Now we support Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pi 2 devices
  • New guest distribution is available: Ubuntu 14.04, Debian, Raspbian
  • We enhanced performance
  • Better support of sound

BTW now sale of ExaGear Desktop ($19.95 instead of $29.95). Details here: http://goo.gl/w98MCy

BTW

Guys, who save key for Pyra. You can use it now. If you uninstall ExaGear later and then install it on Pyra, everything should work. It is allowed.   

BTW

Guys, who save key for Pyra. You can use it now. If you uninstall ExaGear later and then install it on Pyra, everything should work. It is allowed.
Oh yay! Thanks! If I get my Pyra and it doesn't work like you say I'll have to beat you with a wet noodle. ;)

Back