Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

I know I'm way out of my league here and have nothing of value to contribute ... BUT ... earlier on I saw mention of Dwarf Fortress ;) If portable Dwarf Fortress were a reality (no matter how slow) my life would be complete.

I made it through DF worldgen on my Pandora with ExaGear. The actual gameplay was slow, but really not as bad as I expected.

oooh! did you change the size of the embark site? If you make it really small, that might help the FPS

Thanks a lot for your install scripts dimag0g, they worked pretty well.

But since I've messed up a bit my exagear ubuntu image, I'd like to restart with a clean install. Is it self-contained and can I just delete the existing install and start over, or is there something else I should do?

Thanks a lot for your install scripts dimag0g, they worked pretty well.

But since I've messed up a bit my exagear ubuntu image, I'd like to restart with a clean install. Is it self-contained and can I just delete the existing install and start over, or is there something else I should do?
AFAIK you can just remove the image directory and start over. And I think it's time I make a PND of those install scripts, so that the latest version is always accessible and people don't miss updates. (I have a working sudo in exagear now, for example)

You mean it's normal the sudo doesn't work? I thought it was because of the changes I had done in the image...

Yes, but I have recently found a way to make sudo work inside exagear. I will post new install scripts sometime next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that the .wine directory wasn't in the usr directory of exagear's ubuntu image as I expected, but in the Pandora's usr directory on the NAND. I guess I can fix that by changing the WINEPREFIX, but is there a way (other than installing the Pandora OS on the SD Card) to generally get Exagear to not use the NAND?

Both sublime and pretentious.

Very dwarfy B)

dorfy-coffee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that the .wine directory wasn't in the usr directory of exagear's ubuntu image as I expected, but in the Pandora's usr directory on the NAND. I guess I can fix that by changing the WINEPREFIX, but is there a way (other than installing the Pandora OS on the SD Card) to generally get Exagear to not use the NAND?
If it respects the $HOME variable, the way most PNDs fix it is by simply exporting "HOME=/mnt/utmp/pnd_name"

@WizardStan: Ok thanks, is there a drawback to setting the default $HOME variable of my Pandora to some place on my SD Card? (apart from the fact that when I remove my SD Card I lose the data)

If you set it in a start script, only things called by that script will be effected, and once the script ends it goes back to being the way it was. There shouldn't be any side effects to anything outside of Exegear. If anything else writes to $HOME, like desktop configs and stuff, it will still go to the NAND as it should.

I think the problem is with the guest image, I believe the x86 ubuntu side of things uses the user's home directory instead of one inside the image. I found this out quickly as I filled my nand quickly as I installed something thinking the hidden .wine directory was on the SD card I was working with.

@WizardStan: Thanks, I'll probably do that

@TrashyMG: Yep, same here. 

I've tried installing a windows gog game with the gog installer with wine, but I couldn't get it to work. No matter what I tried, it always told me "Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted." At first I thought it was because it was trying to access a temp folder in a place where it didn't have access, but even after starting exagear with sudo exagear, and setting up wine for root (.wine folder belonging to root), I still get the same message. Anybody has any idea where that can come from?

Back