Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

Well, that certainly is useful information I didn't read anywhere yet (and I honestly didn't expect a mere "exagear" command to require all of my CC ram).

Thanks for your help, it goes a bit further now...

lkv_SubstitutedPathListEntry::create: substitution of the directory '/run' is requested,
but this path does not exist in the host FS.
Failed to start shell under ExaGear

Some directory is missing apparently, eh...
I still just used the install script by dimag0g, so not sure what I could've screwed up this time.

My script is supposed to remove non-existent directories such as /run from vpaths-list file.

sed s/\\/run\\/// -i $vpaths_list

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. Were there any errors during the script execution?

Anyway, try to edit the file manually.

BTW, ExaGear requirements list mentions that you should have at least 512 MB of RAM, if memory serves, so CC pandoras are not supported strictly speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, ExaGear requirements list mentions that you should have at least 512 MB of RAM
ExaGear Desktop Page said:
Please, carefully check system requirements before you buy Eltechs ExaGear Desktop license.

Hardware requirements:

- ARMv7 instruction set with NEON and VFP32.

Software requirements:

- Ubuntu 12.04 or later

- binfmt_misc kernel module is required

- 3G/1G virtual memory split.​​​
I don't see anything abour ram there, that's why I was surprised.

But hey, after removing the vpath entries causing error messages (no idea why this didn't work in the install script, I don't remember any error messages there either), it works now. Thanks!  :)

exagear doesn't actually use more than 512MB of ram during basic use, but without a swapfile I think there are problems with the virtual memory allocations it tries to make on startup.

1. Set WINE's DirectDraw to use GDI instead of OpenGL. This will allow more things to run.
BTW, is it possible to make WINE use your OpenGL library? Or is OpenGL 1.3 not enough (maybe it's still possible to play with Software/Wine/OpenGL/DisableExtensions)? Or is there another reason (too slow etc)?

1. Set WINE's DirectDraw to use GDI instead of OpenGL. This will allow more things to run.
BTW, is it possible to make WINE use your OpenGL library? Or is OpenGL 1.3 not enough (maybe it's still possible to play with Software/Wine/OpenGL/DisableExtensions)? Or is there another reason (too slow etc)?
I'm working on it. One of the problems is getting the OpenGL calls from x86-land to ARM/the SGX driver, which I've mostly solved. There are also compatibility issues between glshim and WINE's Direct3D init code which I haven't fully fixed yet.

In practice, I was able to play Unreal Tournament through this emulator barrier with native OpenGL.

I'm working on it. One of the problems is getting the OpenGL calls from x86-land to ARM/the SGX driver, which I've mostly solved. There are also compatibility issues between glshim and WINE's Direct3D init code which I haven't fully fixed yet.

In practice, I was able to play Unreal Tournament through this emulator barrier with native OpenGL.
You wouldn't happen to have Neverwinter Nights to test out on this, would you?

You can pick up a copy of the Diamond or Deluxe edition (same thing US and Eurpoean markets respectively) for $12-$20 on Ebay.

Converting a Windows install to an X86 Linux binary install:

http://ldots.org/nwn

I'd love to see if/how this runs on a Pandora - though I'm really looking forward to it on the higher resolution Pyra.  It needs 600 lines vertical or more to get everything on screen right.

I wonder if anyone could test this one:

http://www.bruneras.com/games_bruce2.php

There's an x86 version available - it's made with YoYoGames GameMaker, which uses an executable binary (runner) to run the games... so if we get that one game to work, all others should work as well.

Or would that be a case for apkenv? As there's an Android executable...

Unity runtime would be interesting as well - or would that work with apkenv?

I wonder if anyone could test this one:

http://www.bruneras.com/games_bruce2.php

There's an x86 version available - it's made with YoYoGames GameMaker, which uses an executable binary (runner) to run the games... so if we get that one game to work, all others should work as well.
I took a quick look at the game.The windows version uses D3D9 with shaders so that probably wouldn't work.

The linux version uses OpenGL (with shaders), but I also saw some references to OpenGL ES - that looks more promising.

Unity runtime would be interesting as well - or would that work with apkenv?
As far as I understand, nothing works in apkenv unless you spend extra efforts on each software you want to add. And sometimes it's not even feasible.
Well, yes. But the software in this case would be a runtime, so it could work in general.

Any updates, PND for installation or usage guides for this on the Pandora?

I bought 2 licenses, but have no clue how to apply them properly.

Why did you buy them since exagear repeatedly said pandora is not officially supported? Brtter to wait before buying to see if it can be of any use on pandora.

Why did you buy them since exagear repeatedly said pandora is not officially supported? Brtter to wait before buying to see if it can be of any use on pandora.
Except it does run on the Pandora when using a swap file and dimag0g's install script.

If it's of any use is up to the user, I guess. But for games not so much without OpenGL support, yet.

And even if eltech said Pandora wasn't supported (no idea where they have specifically said this, if you're referring to the system requirements it's only ubuntu that's missing), their support tried to help me anyways even though I mentioned I'm on a Pandora.

Remember that hope remained in Pandora's box...

Also, I wanted to help ensure that the project was a success.  Hopefully there will be enough licenses registered on Pandoras and eventually Pyras for them to add official support.

Wow, ekianjo, what a helpful comment ;)

Except it does run on the Pandora when using a swap file and dimag0g's install script.

If it's of any use is up to the user, I guess. But for games not so much without OpenGL support, yet.

And even if eltech said Pandora wasn't supported (no idea where they have specifically said this, if you're referring to the system requirements it's only ubuntu that's missing), their support tried to help me anyways even though I mentioned I'm on a Pandora.
Once installed and the script has run - is there anything special to do to get the speed bump from DOSBOX or other?

Remember that hope remained in Pandora's box...
...and not in the world.

There are other interpretations, but consider that it contained all of the evil things in the world, including hope.  Even with an "optimistic" interpretation of hope staying with us, and ignoring all the other bad stuff, it isn't looking too good for us.  This myth is pretty dark no matter how you look at it.

Once installed and the script has run - is there anything special to do to get the speed bump from DOSBOX or other?
I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here.. you trying to run the x86 version of DOSBOX in ARM?, our ARM version is most likely better optimized for DOS uses... Also there is much better use of exagear desktop this like running regular x86 linux programs or using wine to attempt to execute windows programs. 

Back