Emulation Type Question

foleyjo

Just wondering-- The GP2X can play PS1 games via an emulator. Emualting other consoles takes up a lot of power.
So would the GP2X be able to play a good quality port of a PS1 game with no real problem.

What I mean is if you can emulate a playstation running metal gear solid does that mean you could infact have a pretty darn good metal gear solid for the GP2X.
Now i know its unlikely to happen I was just wondering how good the games could actually be on the GP2X if someone like Konami started developing for it.

yup. If you take emulation of the processor/3d/sound out of the equation, then much more processing time can be spent on the actual game.

Would a 'static recompiler' give you enough improvement I wonder.
Guess it starts getting a bit iffy with copyrights though..?
(Not to mention problems with self-modifying code - dunno how any emulator handles that).
But yeah, if we can emulate PS1 games albeit at half/quarter speed, there's surely no reason why something written dedicated to the gp2x shouldn't be able to run at a playable speed (ref Racoon Racing demo on youtube I guess?).

The Zodiac (200MHz ARM) had a few 3d titles on it; probably about level as PS1? Descent and such are no problem on 150MHz .. so probably okay.

Course, its not like Konami will do it :)

jeff

Back