Msx Emulation - What Gives?

vaustein

So I tried out the latest fMSX port for GP2X. The instructions are in Spanish - no English readme - and there are no keyboard mappings! How are we supposed to play Metal Gear or Solid Snake without F2 for weapons, F3 for items, and F4 for transceiver? :blink:

I haven't given much to this community, so I may not have much credibility to spend on complaints. But it seems ridiculous that MSX emulation for GP2X is in such a sorry state. Metal Gear MSX is the only emulated game I still play on a PC. Heck, *ZX Spectrum* emulation on GP2X matches or beats the PC! Why is MSX lagging? :angry:

I've no idea. Possibly because of lack of interest?

However, feel free to do something about it :)

Squidge posted on Feb 9 2007 at 01:06 PM said:
I've no idea. Possibly because of lack of interest?

However, feel free to do something about it :)

"Do something about it"?!

C'mon Squidge, you're better than this! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also love to see MSX emulation finished up as the GP2X port of the emulator itself seems pretty stable - it just needs the magic of a virtual keyboard to finish it off. At first I thought that was the easy part but then it occurred that if you're a competent porter, it might be easier to get the emulator up and running than to add some new machine-specific functionality.

Either way, unfortunately I don't have the coding skills to do anything about it myself. And those with the skills haven't exactly gone wild over MSX emulation. The MSX was never very big in the UK at least (and probably the US and Europe, I'm not sure) and perhaps the developers out there don't see it as offering a great deal different to the already-emulated machines of the same era, and hence not worth spending too much time on. But I don't think any comparable machine of the time benefitted from the very best of Konami's work like the MSX did. Their games were legendary at the time and a lot them stand up fairly well today.

So, should anyone with enough development skills to add on a virtual keyboard to this emulator feel like bringing Konami's finest to the GP2X, there's at least some interest out there...

Uncanny from SPain released a pre beta version to test , that is why is not in english.

He is still working on it. One day he will sourprise us with a new version. HE es good but he takes his time to develop stuff :)

Also, when Rlyeh releases his fMSX on GP2X, all your worries will be over. His GP32 version was superb.

I believe the MSX rivals any other system around. It has the best bits of the Spectrum, c64 and Amstrad all mushed together, with a touch of NES arcade magic to boot.

Back