Emulation - NES

marktuson

Just wondering about this, I found, charged (somehow) my Pandora, and updated the emulators on it, finding the SNES emulator rocks, as does the PSX one. Not tired the others as the Sega one was already awesome, blah blah.

But I'm really disppointed to see that NES emulation seems still to be in its infancy. No fullscreen scaling, no saving, and no save-states. How come? Is there not as much demand for NES emulation?

Just a little frustrated because I really wanted to play through all the Final Fantasy games on there, from I through to IX, in their original forms. There are other games I want to play of course, but Final Fantasy is what I'm really interested in right now.

Thanks

there are 3 worth checking out:

gpFCE-GP2X

mednafen (more than just NES, but it is in there)

Nestopia

I think NES emulation has been a little bit left behind because it isn't quite so sexy... but gpFCE-GP2X does work very well.

Perhaps somebody else has some better options though?

And I have definite memories of using savestates in gpFCE...

Yes, savestates work in gpfce. Also fullscreenscaling should work, too.

gpFCE-GP2X, the one that was built in April 2011? Or has there been a new one since then?

Native port of gpfce would take a few hours to do, if the situation is so bad I could probably do it.
It is, indeed it is.

There are at least 3 NES Emus available, but all have some shortcomings, so again ... pretty please (saying it with puppy dog eyes)

gpFCE-GP2X being a GP2X program with GINGE makes it unnecessarily confusing and limited. Mainly:

- It has no access to keyboard keys, which would be really useful for things like save states.

- A result of the above, it requires a button combination to open the menu (unlike Space being used in other emulators) which makes it confusing to beginners.

- It requires the volume buttons for certain things in the menus, which you wouldn't know are "," and "." if you are unfamiliar with GINGE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Native port of gpfce would take a few hours to do, if the situation is so bad I could probably do it.

That would actually be great! Recompiling it for armv7 wouldn't hurt. Also some good Pandorabuttonmappings and sdlscaler would be great.

Echoing mcobit: I don't think it is so bad, but I'd heartily applaud a native gpFCE with slightly more pandoraized controls. Go Go Power Notaz :D

Notaz if you really do have time for it, then go for it, since as everyone is mentioning - the Ginge-wrapped version, while usable, is not the polished offering that a decently ported version would be.

Also Notaz, this is way I love you! (In a non-gay way, obviously.)

I would love a native port as well, the ginge wrapped version is useable, but one of the last emulators that need a good native port

Last edited by a moderator:
We NEED a good NES emulator for those of us who don't have the time to maintain a famicom disk system !

So please notaz ... tightwads and lazy bums like me beg no - grovel for your help !!!!

Back