Elsewhere

Screw these cellphone game conversions. The last thing the GP2X needs is a dodgy stamp-sized weird anime game.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:31 PM said:
Screw these cellphone game conversions. The last thing the GP2X needs is a dodgy stamp-sized weird anime game.

- Alex

Wow...that's a pretty assumptious statement.

Well, in truth, whatever you think of the game I wouldn't hold out much hope for a release. I'd love to be proved wrong, but we've seen this kind of thing happen too many times before with the GP32. I'll believe it when I see it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:50 PM said:

- Alex

elsewhere_screenshot1.jpg

Riiiight.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
Huxley posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:50 PM said:

- Alex

elsewhere_screenshot1.jpg

Riiiight.

- Alex

Thats for the cellphone. Have you seen the GP2X version? much nicer.

I use a QVGA cell phone, and there are a lot of very playable games there that I would love to see on the GP2X.

QVGA, is the standard for hi-res mobile java games, why not take adventage of it by allowing us to play them on a qvga screen with good controls.

I'll tell you why, reverse orientation.

these games are made for 240x320. So the entire game basically has to be remade.

But JME or java for mobile can easily be re written to C++ + SDL.

icurafu posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
But JME or java for mobile can easily be re written to C++ + SDL.

Except the programmers actually have to learn to code :lol:

Rewriting a game that is made in Java in C/C++ to use the SDL API is a ton of work. Java and C/C++ share similar syntax rules but they are in no way intercompatible. If the GP2X used one of ARM's processors with Jazelle technology (like 926EJ-S), java code could be natively executed on the core, but that isn't the case with the 920T.

Epicenter posted on Oct 23 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
Rewriting a game that is made in Java in C/C++ to use the SDL API is a ton of work. Java and C/C++ share similar syntax rules but they are in no way intercompatible. If the GP2X used one of ARM's processors with Jazelle technology (like 926EJ-S), java code could be natively executed on the core, but that isn't the case with the 920T.

Most JME I've written were fairly basic. There is no reason to get complicated using such a high level language on sinple games.

I would agree with you with the other way around, but you'd have to really screw up a JME game so that it can't be converted to C++ and SDL. (comlpex use of java threads could make it hard to port)

Epicenter posted on Oct 23 2006 at 06:47 AM said:
I converted some old j2me display/input code of mine to C in about 10 minutes last week. Admittedly it wasn't a huge amount of code I was playing with, but it was still incredibly easy and needed suprisingly few changes.

A played a bit of Elsewhere in August. Was better than a mobile phone game.

An English version is planned, yes.

GREAT!!! Want english version!! But graphic not so good how in payback =( But i will buy it!

EvilDragon
Awsomeness YEAH IN YOUR FACE ALEX

XaMMaX90
The game would run slow if they upped it any higher although I would sacrifice a few framrates in areas I cant see

woogal posted on Oct 23 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
I converted some old j2me display/input code of mine to C in about 10 minutes last week. Admittedly it wasn't a huge amount of code I was playing with, but it was still incredibly easy and needed suprisingly few changes.

ok...you know that not all people are code gurus like you, don't you? xD

Back