Elsewhere

kardasan posted on Oct 24 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
woogal posted on Oct 23 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
I converted some old j2me display/input code of mine to C in about 10 minutes last week. Admittedly it wasn't a huge amount of code I was playing with, but it was still incredibly easy and needed suprisingly few changes.

ok...you know that not all people are code gurus like you, don't you? xD

LOL!

We were referring to converting commercial games (Which I don't do). Those hopefully put together by code gurus. People who actually make money (if slightly insignificant) from programming.

So why should I consider those who can't code? Especially in regards to commercial games on the GP2X.

If anyone cares to know, I experimented with J2ME when I was in university. It's what I did instead of weed.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has learned some java.

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Oct 23 2006 at 02:08 AM said:
Epicenter posted on Oct 23 2006 at 06:47 AM said:
Rewriting a game that is made in Java in C/C++ to use the SDL API is a ton of work. Java and C/C++ share similar syntax rules but they are in no way intercompatible. If the GP2X used one of ARM's processors with Jazelle technology (like 926EJ-S), java code could be natively executed on the core, but that isn't the case with the 920T.
I converted some old j2me display/input code of mine to C in about 10 minutes last week. Admittedly it wasn't a huge amount of code I was playing with, but it was still incredibly easy and needed suprisingly few changes.
This must've been a really simple program, honestly. It would be a much larger task for Elsewhere I'm sure, even though it's not always a big job, switching APIs for GFX/audio/input is easier than changing languages/syntax entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they give that KID a lighter sword in the final version - that looks way too heavy for such a weenie :)

Back