Eduke32 Wont Start

Esslan

Website
Visit site
I'm trying to run this eduke32 port by pickle that popped up recently.
But when it just loads for a bit and jumps back to the wiz menu.
Here is the log:
EDuke32 1.5.0unstable 20090807
Application parameters: -nologo -gduke3d.grp
addsearchpath(): Added /mnt/sd/games/eduke32/
addsearchpath(): Added /root/.eduke32/
Initializing SDL system interface (compiled against SDL version 1.2.13, found version 1.2.13)
Using "fbcon" video driver
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Using group file 'duke3d.grp' as main group file.
Using group file 'duke3d.grp'.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3968: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5891: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16187*4 bytes
Script compiled in 481ms
Compiled code size: 16179*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 2024 bytes
1918/11264 labels, 321/2048 variables
125/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
0/88 event definitions, 207 defined actors
Initialized 26.7M cache
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
1 joystick(s) found
1. PEP Joy
Joystick 1 has 0 axes, 19 buttons, and 0 hat(s).
Setting video mode 320x240 (8-bpp windowed)
Initializing sound...

Seems to f*ck up when it comes to the sound bit.
Oh, I'm on firmware 1.1.0 if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: My bad! It works now. I just copied over all the files again. When I tried this before it didn't do jack.
But now after I've gone ahead and made a unnecessary topic it magically works! :huh:
If Any MOD comes this way this, please delete this topic.

Not for me. I tried a dozen of times, No good.
Threw away everything and copied over again, same.
Came here, made this topic and tried copying over again, Voila! Worked on first try.

I mention it in the readme, but I had the situation where I had to run it twice. After the second time trying it would always run. Last night I overlcocked to 600 Mhz and it worked on the first try, so go figure.
I think it may have to do with the kernel alignment trap command, but im not sure. eduke32 is just full of alignment issues, the kernel fix works and the engine runs fast enough, so im leaving the way it is.
My view is that its better than nothing.

OK, I got the game running but I don't understand button mapping. All I can do is look left or right and walk to the left.
Do I go into joystick setup and mess around with the options in there?
Thanks in advance!

You have to use the keyboard settings menu not the joystick one, but does anyone know how to map 2 keys at once? (eg. R & X - strafe right)
Any chance of music on the next release? (I've tried timidity but still no music.)
Cheers, Neil

I've found a way to clear the keybindings:

1. After you've ran the game open the '.eduke32' folder. (Note the fullstop, the '.eduke32' folder is in the 'eduke32' folder, the one with the 'eduke32.gpe' in.)
( Make sure you run the game and quit first or the game won't create an .eduke32 folder. )

2. Delete the 'eduke32_binds' cfg file.

3. Delete the 'eduke32' cfg file then replace it with the new 'eduke32' cfg file with this one from this post: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49883-new-cfg-file-to-clear-key-bindings-in-eduke32/page__pid__761398__st__0&#entry761398
(I couldn't attach files on this post.)

4. Start the game and you should have cleared keybindings.

If you mess up the keybindings just repeat the above to clear them.

Maybe an '.eduke32' folder containing this new 'eduke32.cfg' could be added to the 'eduke32' folder in Pickle's upload.

Cheers, Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
The .eduke32 folder will be in the eduke32 folder where the eduke32.gpe is. (The eduke32 folder should be in the game folder of the SD card)
Make sure you run the game first or it won't create the .eduke32 folder.
Let me know how you get on.
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
The .eduke32 folder will be in the eduke32 folder where the eduke32.gpe is. (The eduke32 folder should be in the game folder of the SD card)
Cheers, Neil

Well, I looked in the eduke32 folder and I don't see a .eduke32 folder.

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
Neil L said:
Cheers, Neil

Well, I looked in the eduke32 folder and I don't see a .eduke32 folder.

Regards

André

Trooper

It should be there, once you've ran the game (and quitted) you should have these files in the eduke32 folder:

.eduke32 (File Folder)
DUKE3D (Microsoft Program Group)
eduke32 (File)
eduke32.gpe (GPE File)
eduke32 (Text Document)
eduke32_NAM.gpe (GPE File)
libvorbis.so.0 (0 File)
libvorbisenc.so.2 (2 File)
libvorbisfile.so.3. (3 File)
libvorbisidec.so.1 (1 File)
readme (Text document)

The .eduke32 folder should contain:

eduke32 (CFG File) <<<<<< Delete and replace this one.
eduke32_binds (CFG File) < Delete this one.
grpfiles.cache (CACHE File)

The only thing I can think of is:
Is the eduke32 folder in the 'game' folder of the SD card?
(In case it writes the .eduke32 folder to sd/game/eduke32) (I think it writes upon quitting the game.)

Cheers, Neil

I have that problem too, but after looking into the logfiles I found out the my .eduke32 folder has been made in /root/ of my wiz. after using the terminal i managed to move the cfg file there, and voila, empty keybindings for me

Beneloth said:
I have that problem too, but after looking into the logfiles I found out the my .eduke32 folder has been made in /root/ of my wiz. after using the terminal i managed to move the cfg file there, and voila, empty keybindings for me

Yeah my log file says exactly the same, so I'll have to move it to the SD card.

Regards

André

That's probably what the problem is.
I put my download in the 'game' folder on the SD card. (game/eduke32/eduke32.gpe) with all my other games. (& the '.eduke32' folder appeared in the 'eduke32' folder without any problems!)
I'm glad the problem has been sorted, I didn't know I would cause so much trouble, I thought I was being helpful! :)

Where did you all put your download (the 'eduke32' folder), and where did the '.eduke32' folder appear? (So I can edit the original post so nobody else gets these problems.)

Answer to the above question:
The root of the SD card is where the 'game' folder etc. is.

Neil L said:
That's probably what the problem is.
I put my download in the 'game' folder on the SD card. (game/eduke32/eduke32.gpe) with all my other games. (& the '.eduke32' folder appeared in the 'eduke32' folder without any problems!)
I'm glad the problem has been sorted, I didn't know I would cause so much trouble, I thought I was being helpful! :)

Where did you all put your download (the 'eduke32' folder), and where did the '.eduke32' folder appear? (So I can edit the original post so nobody else gets these problems.)

Answer to the above question:
The root of the SD card is where the 'game' folder etc. is.

My game is placed in /game/eduke32/eduke32.gpe.

Regards

André

I've run the game several times and I still can't find the .eduke32 folder. Could it be because I'm runing the atomic edition of Duke Nukem 3D (bought it from GOG.com)?

Regards

André

I'm running the Atomic edition with the game in the sd/game/eduke32 folder as you are, but I haven't had any problems.
Have you quitted the game as I think this is when the game creates the .eduke32 folder?
Try searching the SD card with your PC if you still can't find it.

Cheers, Neil

Back