Ebook/text Reader Survey

sam fisher posted on May 20 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
For playing music etc.
:huh: Isn't that what the music player's for?

Call me old fashioned but I read books on the text reader and play music on the music player :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr posted on May 20 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
sam fisher posted on May 20 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
For playing music etc.
:huh: Isn't that what the music player's for?

Call me old fashioned but I read books on the text reader and play music on the music player :)
You're like Windows 3.1 :p

Parkydr posted on May 20 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
Ravnos posted on May 19 2006 at 10:53 PM said:
There's already a better text reader available here,

This reader is ok, but I didn't like having to click L/R several times to scroll through several pages, rather than holding the button down as you can do on the built in reader.

Another question. Why is audio file support needed in a text reader?

Maybe people want to listen to audio books. :unsure:

Trooper

hitbyambulance posted on May 22 2006 at 08:41 AM said:
is it true you can't listen to music with the GP2X media player and run any other program at the same time?
Not with the default one but with one called 'MadPlayer' you can as far as I know.

Well so far I've had over 50 people fill in my survey, so thanks to everyone that's filled it in, I greatly apprechiate it, apart from the one person that thought it would be amusing to put very rude comments in each box and try to scew the results with extreme data...

so far here's some of the results:

PDF (4.1)
.doc (MS Word doc) (3.3)
RTF (Rich Text Format) (3.4)
plain text (4.1)
HTML (text formatting only) (3.7)
CHM (2.5)
open e-book standard (3.3)

PDF and plain text seem to be the winners in the format support, so I will most likely be aiming for plain text support at first followed by PDF if I have time...

Extra support people have asked for supporting various comic book formats, and a fair few requests for music in the background... guess we'll see how things go there...

about 3/5th's of people would be willing to purchase an ebook/text reader that was highly functional... with the price people willing to pay averaging around the £5 mark

quite a few things I didnt think of included and requested and suggested so thanks a lot for that... I will be thinking hard about this over the next week or so to start to gather it all together :)

What'd be really sweet is festival (I think someone ported a stripped down version of it to the gp2x) to read text out loud as you read along... Personally I find it easier to stay concentrated on boring texts (*cough*lit class*cough*) if I can listen to it at the same time. You could probably do this in the background right now, but if it were integrated with the text viewer it would be impossible to lose your spot as to where it's reading from, and give easier playback controls.

Back