Ebook Reader

HackModford

Is anyone going to make an ebook reader app. (of course they are)

I was just thinking how you could hold the pandora sideways and read it like a book (kinda like the DS ebook readers)

There's a thread about FBReader somewhere. It's already in the angstrom repo:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

(FBReader)
skeezix said:
Angstrom repo stuff very often works.. Unoptimized but works. Didn't try it though but surely it'll get a proper port. As to dependancies with ipkg'd, just get the deps too

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
fbreader in angstrom is really old IIRC, and built for all sorts of odd devices. I didn't try it, but figured it'd be a disaster :)

I built iy myself (rather a PITA, they made that codebase evil... eviiiiil!), and it worked, but I couldn't get the UI to show up; and given the codebase is so nasty to penetrate, I didnt' bother to trace into it. (If only they would put, oh, you know, logging, or errors in the output..)

Calibre is not in the Angstrom repo, and it has some odd dependancies; if it wasa quick build I'd give it a dshot, but prolly take some time, so can't touch it for awhile; I'm sure someone will :)

jeff

I ripped the DRM from a Kindle ebook that I bought (I know, I'm breaking federal law, DMCA, etc.)

Is there a program for Linux that will read or convert .mobi files?

Lunatic said:
I ripped the DRM from a Kindle ebook that I bought (I know, I'm breaking federal law, DMCA, etc.)

Is there a program for Linux that will read or convert .mobi files?

The official Mobipocket program runs under WINE, but for native support you can use Okular or Calibre. Calibre can convert it, too.

Lunatic said:
DRM pisses me off so much.
You don't have to know much about computers to realize the only people inconvenienced by DRM are the legitimate users.

Back