Release EasyRPG

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Posting this just in case someone else also has ideas to working on this so we can either collaborate or at least avoid duplicated effort. Not that there's a lot of effort, but anywho...

I've compiled up EasyRPG alpha for the Pandora. It started, couldn't find a game, told me to hit any key to exit, but refused to actually do so.

Stay tuned for a more functional beta of the alpha later tonight or tomorrow.

Don't get your hopes up. Ran it against a half dozen games, only one of which actually allowed much progress. The alpha status is very telling, it has a long way to go.

No PND forthcoming just yet either. This will require some hackery.

First, go to http://rpgmaker.net/ and download a RM2K or RM2K3 game. Or download from wherever you might prefer, I'm not picky. Extract that game to your SD card somewhere good.

Next, find a copy of the RPG Maker Runtime Package. This is an exercise left to the user because of copyright. I would love to give a URL to download, or even included the necessary files myself, but that'd be highly illegal unfortunately. Once you've got the runtime, you must install it on your computer and then copy the RTP directory onto your SD card as well. You'll need the RM2K RTP for RM2K games or the 2K3 RTP for 2K3 games (duh). They'll likely be in "C:\Program Files\ASCII\RPG2000\RTP" or "C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPG2003\RTP".

RPGMaker requires fonts. Fortunately some free ones are available and I can give them to you. I put them here. Extract into the same RTP directory as before.

Finally you need the binary: download. Extract this into the game folder.

Open a terminal, cd to the game folder, and type "./run.sh" and it should start.

So my SD card looks kind of like so:

/media/PANDORA/EasyRPG/<game>/run.sh

/media/PANDORA/EasyRPG/RTP/Font

I want to put more work into this to make it much easier, even PND it up for ease of use, but with the it still being in very early alpha (make no mistake, an awesome amount of progress has been made, it just isn't quite ready for mass market) the priority just isn't quite there. I've already fixed a couple of bugs (which prevented it from running on the Pandora but useful in general) and intend to help with more over time.

So by all means, give it a shot. If you find games that actually work, or almost work, please recommend them. If you have any problems, I've probably screwed something up.

Hi! Thank you for porting it! I didn't get time to try to port it for a long time. In any case, any port code patch or contribution is welcome! There is a EasyRPG GitHub account if you want to fork and pull request or patches, makefile configurations, pnd settings, specific audio or video ifdefs...

There is a lack of documentation about RTP and and other requirements, I'm working on it, to get rid of most elemental issues to getting started with player for both developers and end users.

Even my builds on my desktop have the same problems.

There are some bugs with fullscreen/window resolution modes, alt+f4 is not working on GNU/Linux and some other annoyances.

The new game editor is growing but the player needs a boost to get more decent (there is no battle systems or battle animations yet!).

Back