Easy Pandy-To-Pandy Link?

sixtyfifthbit

I was thinking about a scenario where one Pandora owner met another Pandora owner, and they agreed to play a networked game only one has. Is there anything close to a user-friendly way to create an ad-hoc connection between Pandorae? If there's a spare dev out there, it might be something to consider.

Once connected, it would be simple to use scp (or something else) to copy the PND file.

Thoughts?

It would be cool to play some Gameboy/NES/etc. with another person who happens to own a Pandora...

For such a feature to be used, I'd need to find someone with a Pandora!

rabidpoobear said:
Can't you just go somewhere with WiFi...?

:lol:
Two random strangers stumble upon each other randomly in the street.
Let's say this is a place like Edmonton (Alberta) where you don't have an open WiFi network every two meters like a large metropolitan city -which are spoiled with access points-... now would you walk two blocks in -30C to pick up a network or play with the person standing right beside you (for the benefit of the argument let's say in a heated bus stop)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ad-hoc wifi networks are pretty easy to setup.
You just have to "Create a new network" with NetworkManager.

TINXL was aimed at making some kind of global lobby to find active game sessions.
(a late topic talked about expanding it a bit more)

I bought two Pandoras just for the purposes of developing multiplayer apps, so .. yeah! :) The idea would be to have a netshare over Wifi if its necessary to share a .PND file, but in most cases it'd be better to do the actual game data over Bluetooth ..

Any idea of what ping or data rate over bluetooth is? I'm assuming it's pretty good if you can have voice chat over it.
I'm thinking of having multiplayer over eth/wifi, (so LAN and WAN), because who knows someone else with a Pandora =p, but with a bluetooth option, if that's quick enough to program.
That said, I did read about an 'easy' ad-hoc mode in newer Wifi specs, but I don't know if that'll need new hardware, or if an easy update will work.

Back