E-ink Screen

If I understood it correctly Shrps memory LCDs have nearly as low powerconsumption as the epaper Displays. The pepple has changed from epaper (prototypes and anounced for the kickstarter campaign) to memoryLCD (in production).

-plus it has backlite optioin by design

-plus it has serial interface (from what I understand, see below)

http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/4-4-inch-memory-lcd.html

If we could get hands on one of these (no matter the size) and some of the somtware guys here can help, I'd like to try to build it into my old pandora...
This one would be very nice to put in the front of the base (to the side or between the SD slots), so it can be useful both with the lid open and with the lid closed:

http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/1-17-inch-memory-lcd.html

35x11 mm should easily fit there. The display is 184x38 pixels, which should be enough to display two or three lines of text.

Not sure what the (SCNR) means, but LCDs need to blast out a lot more light than is needed for eInk to get anywhere near the same level of contrast, and high contrast is most important for reading without tiring your eyes.

because it is not shining light constantly into your eyes. (which is what LCD does)
Just wondering... do you know how eyes work, that they kind of need light to reach them for them to work?
(SCNR)
http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/15903/1/Kindle-Screens-and-Your-Eyes.html

The main reason that monitors cause eye strain is that they cause your eyes to have to constantly adjust to different levels of brightness. Your eye achieves this by using tiny muscles to change the size of the pupil and thereby let in more or less light, and normally this occurs gradually throughout the day. The problem occurs when you watch TV or play computer games � particularly in the dark � because the brightness coming off of the television continually changes and thereby forces your eyes to have to adjust to the different levels of light.
Also, reading with backlight not only wastes a lot of power, but it also shines blue light at you, which will make your night reading sessions keep you up all night. E-ink, since it reflects light from outside sources rarely does this.

-God Ginrai

I was just making fun of his choice of words, scnr=sorry could not resist.

Sure eInk is better, assuming same pixel densities.
(bad pixel densities may offset some of this, I hate to be able to see pixels wheb reading)

Last edited by a moderator:
A transflective LCD would also be acceptable. You don't get the same colour contrast but if you're just displaying black(grey) and white anyway...

Digikey is not the only place we should be looking for EPDs. As far as I can tell, only EPD products by Pervasive Displays seem to be on their site. LG has both a 5" and a 6" EPD that is worth taking a look at, however I don't know how to get a quote on it. These screens were used in both the iRiver and the Sony E-reader.

-God Ginrai

Digikey is not the only place we should be looking for EPDs. As far as I can tell, only EPD products by Pervasive Displays seem to be on their site. LG has both a 5" and a 6" EPD that is worth taking a look at, however I don't know how to get a quote on it. These screens were used in both the iRiver and the Sony E-reader.

-God Ginrai
Hold on... So you say that adding a GPIO run switch to swap the ground and mic lines so that any headset will work with the Pyra is bad for adding cost ($2) and a point of failure (one switch) - and you want a 2nd screen on the outside of the lid?

2nd screen is a neat idea. However, it adds too much complication in both hardware and software. It is expensive - nearly as much as the main screen. Requires complex software support. It a 'major feature add-on' and is a HUGE additional point of failure.

I would have to vote 'No' on adding a 2nd screen - of any type.

I thought of this when seeing the YotaPhone too, it would be a really need feature if it's possible. There is cost, how it connects to the board, the interface, size, durability, etc. Even if it were just a small screen for notifications/a logo, that would be great too. Not having to open the lid to check things like current song, time, weather, notifications, etc. would be great. An even larger screen would be cool too, I don't know how much reading I'd do from the lid of the Pyra, seems an awkward way to read for long periods, but more space means it can show more, which is always good.

Or course, the other idea about having the logo cut out with an LED making it glow is still great because you can use it for notifications. You just can't read what those are without opening the lid. :p

Hold on... So you say that adding a GPIO run switch to swap the ground and mic lines so that any headset will work with the Pyra is bad for adding cost ($2) and a point of failure (one switch) - and you want a 2nd screen on the outside of the lid?
Yes, because the switch does not add a feature, it just performs a conversion, something that is easily done with an adaptor. So why increase the cost and add a point of failure in the device for that?

In the case of the e-ink screen, it adds a ton of extra uses, and thus is worth the added cost and complexity.

2nd screen is a neat idea. However, it adds too much complication in both hardware and software. It is expensive - nearly as much as the main screen. Requires complex software support. It a 'major feature add-on' and is a HUGE additional point of failure.

I would have to vote 'No' on adding a 2nd screen - of any type.
You quoted my post where I pointed out we needed to look at other places to get an idea of the real price to suggest it is too expensive? That's shooting yourself in the foot.

Second, the "huge" additional point of failure determines whether the e-ink screen will fail or not. If the e-ink screen fails, then it's no different than if there is no e-ink screen. Nothing else in then device is harmed. If my headset jack fails, I have no sound in my headsets, a default feature is now broken, or worse: I may not have sound at all. Doesn't the sound route through the headset jack before it goes to the speakers on the Pandora?

-God Ginrai

How about a solar panel instead. Once I ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere and my phone was dead, I wish my phone had one. I undestand that people don't get lost or stuck in weird places all time ,but a solar panel would even make me feel less worried about power eficiency. I dont know how posible this is but I like the idea. what do you think?  would complicate thing desing & production cost-wise but I mean, how many devices have that? the E- ink desplay sounds very nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like an E Ink display on the back of the lid which is also a solar panel.  They already use almost no power, it would be an elegant next step for E Ink displays to add power.  

How about a solar panel instead. Once I ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere and my phone was dead, I which my phone had one. I undestand that people don't get lost or stuck in weird places all time ,but a solar panel would even make me feel less worried about power eficiency. I dont know how posible this is but I like the idea. what do you think?  would complicate thing desing & production cost-wise but I mean, how many devices have that? the E- ink desplay sounds very nice too.
Like has been previously pointed out, putting a solar panel on a device encourages you to leave it in the sun, which is not smart. Get separate panels, there are many available :)

In the case of the e-ink screen, it adds a ton of extra uses, and thus is worth the added cost and complexity.
Don't want to take on another discussion or partake in the one between you and grench, but while an e-ink screen would surely add some extra uses, it would also add a lot failure point to the device (especially if it is exposed like that on the outside of the device).But then again, I thought this was a "we're still allowed to dream" kind of thread...

Don't want to take on another discussion or partake in the one between you and grench, but while an e-ink screen would surely add some extra uses, it would also add a lot failure point to the device (especially if it is exposed like that on the outside of the device).
I've specifically provided a video where they stomp on the screen to try to break it and they didn't. How is that a point of failure by being exposed on the outside of the device?

But then again, I thought this was a "we're still allowed to dream" kind of thread...
I never got that impression from Kiga's initial post.

-God Ginrai

I've specifically provided a video where they stomp on the screen to try to break it and they didn't. How is that a point of failure by being exposed on the outside of the device?
I'm not that worried about the screen itself more about the integration into the device, specifically the lid
I never got that impression from Kiga's initial post.
Oh, ok then, got that wrong I guess

I'm not that worried about the screen itself more about the integration into the device, specifically the lid
I don't really see that as a point of failure. If the lid is designed correctly, there should be no problems that could arise.

-God Ginrai

Back