Release DuckStation

Hi all,

@levi : Yes I'm pretty sure of that 20/40 in the FPS counter ;)

According to DuckStation settings, I have "Show Game Frame Rate" (internal frame rate) and "Show Display FPS" (number of frames or v-syncs displayed per second) enabled.

Out of curiosity, I'm also turning on "Show Speed" (current emulation speed in %).

EDIT: I confirm the 20/40 readings

20 (internal frame rate)
40 (number of frames per second)
Emulation speed: 60-70% (instead of target set at 100%)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Hi all,

@levi : Yes I'm pretty sure of that 20/40 in the FPS counter ;)

According to DuckStation settings, I have "Show Game Frame Rate" (internal frame rate) and "Show Display FPS" (number of frames or v-syncs displayed per second) enabled.

Out of curiosity, I'm also turning on "Show Speed" (current emulation speed in %).

EDIT: I confirm the 20/40 readings

20 (internal frame rate)
40 (number of frames per second)
Emulation speed: 60-70% (instead of target set at 100%)

Cheers, Magic Sam
I tested it, and yes, it's too slow for now. I did a quick profiling and it seems the Software renderer is were most of cpu time is spent (not unsurprisingly). I'll check if there are some quickwins somewhere, but I'm afraid the real asnwer here is the hardware renderer (which needs large update from gl4es).

Hi all,

@ptitSeb : I just found a quick workaround. Turning off linear upscaling in the display settings helps a lot. Emulation speed almost always at 100% now, and no more sound crackling :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Reactions: rSl
Hi all,

@ptitSeb : I just found a quick workaround. Turning off linear upscaling in the display settings helps a lot. Emulation speed almost always at 100% now, and no more sound crackling :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
Oh, that's odd! I was thinking the upscaling to be done by the GPU (and so basicaly preformance-free). I'll check that. Nice find!

Hey, but I thought upscale via GPU wouldn’t work as the Duckstation still don’t use OpenGL ^^
If I remember correctly the whole thing was driven by the CPU ^^
But thanks for the work around ^^

Hi again,

Turning off linear upscaling seemed to help on some races, but some others are still too slow to be fun (Rally of Sweden is a good example, with emulation speed as low as 60%).

Cheers, Magic Sam

Made some quick test, yep Sweden is still slow , to much snow …
But I recently put in some driver names for all countries and Cars, finally I can use my first car for Rally’s ^^ (although my Peugeot 205 only had 60 hp , unlike the Turbo 16 ^^ )
Still better than whit Upscale..

Edit: since when do whe have a Build in Cheat Option in Duckstation? This makes it much better ^^

Last edited:
I have an Issue whit Duckstation, showed in this video:
The Emulator starts, but the Menue is not readable, its looks like the colors are washed out..

I'm having the same issue Matzesu has, where the menu looks like this:
DuckstationMenu.png

Here's what I see when I open from CLI, in case it is useful:
john@johnicpyra:~$ dbp-run-path /media/john/PyraSD/dragonbox/packages/duckstation-0.0.1.02.dbp -------------------------------------------------------------- Setting PATH to /mnt/dbp/union/duckstation:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games -------------------------------------------------------------- Setting HOME to /mnt/dbp/union/duckstation [ 0.0408] I/SDLControllerInterface: Loading game controller mappings from '/mnt/dbp/union/duckstation/database/gamecontrollerdb.txt' [ 1.6682] I/GL::Context: Created a OpenGL context [ 1.6924] I/GL::Context: GL_VENDOR: ptitSeb [ 1.6928] I/GL::Context: GL_RENDERER: GL4ES wrapper [ 1.6929] I/GL::Context: GL_VERSION: 2.1 gl4es wrapper 1.1.5 [ 1.6930] I/GL::Context: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20 via gl4es [ 1.7030] E(CompileShader): Shader compiled with warnings: Success. [ 1.7047] E(CompileShader): Shader compiled with warnings: Success. [ 1.7068] E(CompileShader): Shader compiled with warnings: Success. [ 1.7090] E(CompileShader): Shader compiled with warnings: Success. /build/dri3wsegl-pyra-0.5/dri3_ws.c:843: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval 1 Success. Success. [ 1.7211] E(LoadTexture): Failed to open texture resource 'resources/logo.png' [ 2.3877] E(LoadTexture): Failed to open texture resource 'resources/logo.png' Success. Success. [ 2.4128] E(LoadTexture): Failed to open texture resource 'resources/logo.png' [ 3.0318] E(LoadTexture): Failed to open texture resource 'resources/logo.png' [ 3.0504] I/NoGUIHostInterface: Host display initialized at 1274x644 resolution [ 3.0509] I/SDLControllerInterface: Controller 0 inserted [ 3.0516] W(OpenGameController): Controller 0 (joystick 0) returned player ID -1, which is invalid or in use. Using ID 0 instead. [ 3.0518] I/SDLControllerInterface: Opened controller 0 (instance id 0, player id 0): pyraInput Gamepad [ 3.0553] I/SDLControllerInterface: Rumble is supported on 'pyraInput Gamepad' via gamecontroller [ 3.0554] I/ControllerInterface: Host controller 0 connected, updating input map [ 3.0557] I/SDLControllerInterface: Controller 0 deadzone size set to 0.250000 [ 3.0562] I/SDLControllerInterface: Controller 0 deadzone size set to 0.250000 Program directory "/mnt/dbp/union/duckstation" User directory: "/mnt/dbp/union/duckstation/.local/share/duckstation" LIBGL: Initialising gl4es LIBGL: v1.1.5 built on Oct 1 2022 16:48:39 LIBGL: Using GLES 2.0 backend LIBGL: loaded: libGLESv2.so LIBGL: loaded: libEGL.so LIBGL: Using GLES 2.0 backend LIBGL: Hardware Full NPOT detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_blend_minmax detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_draw_buffers detected and used LIBGL: FBO are in core, and so used LIBGL: PointSprite are in core, and so used LIBGL: CubeMap are in core, and so used LIBGL: BlendColor is in core, and so used LIBGL: Blend Subtract is in core, and so used LIBGL: Blend Function and Equation Separation is in core, and so used LIBGL: Texture Mirrored Repeat is in core, and so used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_mapbuffer detected LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_element_index_uint detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_depth24 detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays detected LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_depth_texture detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_texture_rg detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_texture_float detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_texture_half_float detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_fragment_precision_high detected and used LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod detected and used LIBGL: Max vertex attrib: 16 LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_standard_derivatives detected and used LIBGL: Max texture size: 4096 LIBGL: Max Varying Vector: 8 LIBGL: Texture Units: 8/8 (hardware: 8), Max lights: 8, Max planes: 6 LIBGL: Max Color Attachments: 4 / Draw buffers: 4 LIBGL: Hardware vendor is Imagination Technologies LIBGL: EGLImage to Texture2D supported LIBGL: EGLImage to RenderBuffer supported LIBGL: Targeting OpenGL 2.1 LIBGL: Not trying to batch small subsequent glDrawXXXX LIBGL: try to use VBO LIBGL: FBO workaround for using binded texture enabled LIBGL: Force texture for Attachment color0 on FBO LIBGL: Hack to trigger a SwapBuffers when a Full Framebuffer Blit on default FBO is done LIBGL: glX Will try to recycle EGL Surface LIBGL: Current folder is:/mnt/dbp/union/duckstation/.local/share/duckstation DRI3 1.0 present 1.2 DRM FD 8 LIBGL: Shuting down

(Edited to remove the double-post - sorry!)

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a look! Just noticed this today as well during first time emulator setup.

Some games are not made to work whit analog, the Dual Shock 1 was brought later in the PlayStation Live .. this is why you also have a button on the PS2 Dual Shock to disable Analog Mode

Back