Ds Wifi Dongle Question

RyokoSparda

Still Fresh
Don't spose any of you can help me on this one?

I want to know if the Nintendo USB Wifi dongle works on Linux? (Mandriva to be exact).

all it says on the packaging is you need XP, I emailed Nintendo and asked them and they said "We don't know" very useful :rolleyes: I then tryed the Nintendo forums to no avail.

Please someone help I want to go online with Animal Crossing :(

I don't know about the dongle with Linux, but all you need is a wireless connection with WEP... now, if you were to connect to the internet via ethernet, you could do as I do and share the connection through the wireless on my computer. I do this under windows, not sure if Linux has something like Internet Connection Sharing.

I've got a wired router, don't like wireless.

I'm assuming it will work fine Linux don't care for drivers, my bluetooth dongle works fine and my MP3 player which has a load of drivers and a bit of paper saying "do not use until you have installed the drivers" works perfectly fine, Mandriva never complains it's allways been happy with anything USB.

but I am not going to spend £30 to find out Nintendo Wifi dongles are the one thing that don't work <_<

Why not find a store that will let you take it back if it don't work?

Just get a wireless router for cheap and if you are afraid for your security enable WEP and only plug it in when you want to play WiFi with the DS.

Really the dongle is going to be as unsafe as a wireless router and it will take up a USB port. Not to mention buddies with laptops can then use your internet and they cost about the same price, the router is probaly less.

No it doesn't work for linux. Its not made by nintendo. Its made by buffalo. If it is compatable with ndiswrapper then you could install the windows drivers onto linux, but I haven't checked it out yet as my router serves me well.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I can't be arsed with a wireless router, I was interested in the dongle because of the ease of us just mount it when I want to go online with DS and un-mount it when I'm done, Wireless router would be more hassle.

I'll just have to live without online AC:WW.

Most wireless routers work with the DS, I don't know of any that don't from my experiance.

How hard is it to use a wireless router I just plugged mine in and it work. I did not need to set up anything.

If you want something SUPER easy just get an Airport Express. It not only works as a wireless router but you can set up a printer server with it so all computers can print to one printer and you can hook it up to your stereo and stream your iTunes music to it. Not only that but it is super small.
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

look what the cheapest stick is you can find, check if the chipset haves linux drivers, if it does buy it and be happy.
No need to buy nintendo stuff.

That's not true, Vimacs. You will need to use infrastructure mode - very few sticks can do that. I use an internal WLAN card which works very well.

WAIT ONE HOT MINUTE!!!! I have airport express inside my apple ibook. Well actually its airport extreme, cos its japanese branded, but im sure its the same thing. Now what do i have to do to get online on mario kart?

hmm tried that, didnt work, got so far as finding it, but when it came to testing i get a 51302 error. Ive tried with and without wep. Maybe something to do with MAC filtering, but ive no idea how to access this on OSX. Any more tips?

Crazy you were able to get that far, what you have is an Airport Extreme CARD, simply put a 802.11g wifi card.

BUT, you can get this to work (I just did on my iMac G5). Only draw back is you can not use the internet on your computer while doing this.

1.Open up System Prefs and click on Sharing
2.Go Internet and then make a check "Airport"
3. Now click the Start button to turn on sharing

TA-DA, now you can play on the internet.

I've had enough trubble with the wired router, I know it ain't set up right because I can't access xboxs via it,
PC thinks it has a virtual router I'm sure of it, no idea how to fix it my linux book is shit and the manuel for the Safecom router is all bollocks about Windows, at least it's working I really should look into how the hell to fix it sometime <_<

Not mine anyway TBH it's my fiance who has the broadband my PC is on a old 56k external modem and I desided he can sort out his PC himself, he hasn't of course he just clicks on things and moans.

Back