Ds Goodness

Angel

"Nobody's gay for Moleman"
Website
www.brutallyhonestgaming.com
The only reason why my PSP got any real use was with web functionality, but now read this.

DS Internet

This would be tons easier to use than PSP with the touch screen and stylus capabilities of the DS.

Man my PSP is really going to be collecting some dust once this is released for the DS.

Oh brilliant, I just assumed that nintendo would one day release a new firmware containing web browsing. But Opera, great!

Im blown away by this. Mobile browsers are usually mediocre at best, but if Opera is developing it its guaranteed to be an excellent browser. Opera really knows their stuff when it comes to mobile browsers.

I dunno at i though bah pointlessyou can't use while on the move bad enough tying to use a radio and if your at home or in ahotel well people have tv's everywhere now.

but then when stuck stood at the staion for 20 minutes this evening, can't play games standing up but hey i could catch up on bbc news 24 o while i wait for the damn train as it says it will get digital reception!

cant wait
it'll just be as good as using a laptop cos of the touchscreen, itll be faster than psp and ull be able to type messages in forums. mayby even get msn. and for all us with gmail we might be able to use that new integrated gmail chat.
only problem may be loading images!

Nice! :D

I've never used Opera myself, but I've generally heard good things about it when people talk about it :) I will definitely be getting this... I wonder what it'll support though? What features will be available/allowed. Javascript? Flash (I would love that, but I don't know if there is a version of the Flash player for embedded ARM usage) Or maybe stuff like that won't be included... what about security?

But anyway, this looks like something I'm gonna have to get. Of course, a laptop would probably be much better for web browsing "on-the-go", but I don't have a laptop, nor dfo I have several hundred pounds to buy one (or sufficient need for one atm to really want one). I do have a DS and can afford £20 for this (I based that on the estimated US price at Gamespot)

Can't wait to check this out :)

I highly doubt the TV tuner will make it out of Japan, but the browser should be pretty cool--especially using it on the new, more compact DS Lite.

Text input and scrolling should be a lot easier on the DS than the PSP thanks to the touchscreen. Resolution might be a problem, though.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 15 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
wow not IE? amazing. My ds will be getting plenty of use now :)

IE=MS
MS=XB360
MS=Rival to Nintendo

I'm sure it'll be all sorts of nice to have, but frankly I'm not that excited to buy a 20 dollar webroswer for the rare occasion that I'm near enough to a free hotspot to use it. For all that I'll use the built in PSP browser do what I have to do and hop back into a game since I dont have to exchange anything to use it. If anything maybe this will encourage Sony to improve the PSP browser, maybe include T9 predictive text to speed up the little typeing I ever bother to do.

Honestly when I'm using a portable game player I'd much rather spend the time playing games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 posted on Feb 18 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
IE=MS
MS=XB360
MS=Rival to Nintendo
Not really. MS permits Rare to make games for the GBA and DS, so I see no reason why they would refuse a browser on the platform. I think IE is just too processor intensive to be a viable candidate for a DS browser.

And apparently (according to grahf), Opera is known for running on mobile devices, so I'm guessing it's more forgiving as far as hardware requirements go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose but still If I were Nintendo I wouldnt want a microsoft application on my hardware, can you imagine the licencing feel they'd ask if nintendo came to them?

No other company really has the kind of experience Opera has in mobile browsers (besides maybe Netfront). For those that might not know, Nokia has had a partnership with Opera for quite a while. The majority of their smartphones either come pre-installed with Opera, or offer a download. IMO, so much better than Internet Explorer that comes on Windows Mobile powered smartphones.

This looks to be great, however, i would like to see three things:

-Flash (Browser games & such)
-Java (browser based IMs and IRC Clients)
-Some sort of way of playing media files (i.e. for video news reports)

Back