Drmd

How do you get this new version? I donated to Reesy yesterday. I've been meaning to for some time now but this made me get off my butt and finally do it.

Billy, If you look at the first post of the thread you will find the download for this "hacked" version of DrMD. There's nothing different emulation wise, it just has a different cpu setting for 133Mhz, which has allowed some people to get better speeds than usual. Thanks for the donation by the way, I haven't been checking my email regularly over the past few days so I must have missed it.

With regards the sound rate of 16500, yes you have to have it set to this as I've hacked the sound rendering code in order to get it playing correctly with this new cpu setting.

OMG! It works! Sonic runs at 60fps!!! This is the Megadrive emulator that I've been dreaming about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reesy and Rlyeh, you two are amazing!!!!! You are the new world heavyweight tag team champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the 132Mhz setting is fast but it will also drain your batteries as fast as a 190Mhz setting, so just bare that in mind.

Billy Lee posted on Apr 24 2005 at 11:09 AM said:
OMG! It works! Sonic runs at 60fps!!! This is the Megadrive emulator that I've been dreaming about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reesy and Rlyeh, you two are amazing!!!!! You are the new world heavyweight tag team champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehe, seems like he is really happy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy posted on Apr 24 2005 at 10:48 AM said:
Well the 132Mhz setting is fast but it will also drain your batteries as fast as a 190Mhz setting, so just bare that in mind.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but I don't care because I always have a pair of charged batteries in reserve so that's not even an issue.

This is a great example of what can be achieved if developers collaborate even on a small scale. They should do this more.

Billy Lee posted on Apr 25 2005 at 08:06 AM said:
This is a great example of what can be achieved if developers collaborate even on a small scale. They should do this more.
What on earth makes you think that developers don't collaborate on a daily basis?

pongplaya posted on Apr 26 2005 at 12:07 AM said:
i have non light old ver. with a little pencil #2 magic dr md beta now runs :)

Just curious, What speed was you getting and what speed are you getting now ?.

Trooper

Okay so for everyone who was just getting a white screen when starting this (I was) this is only a 'bug' of sorts, you have to change your settings in V 2.0, change the sound to 16500, also I changed the clockspeed to 133mhz while I was in v 2.0, and saved the settings, then started up beta 7 and no more white screen. The speed at the 133mhz setting is a bit faster than what I was getting in v 2.0 at 180mhz... the sound is different as well, plays a little slower (or rather, 180mhz probably playing too fast) and a bit cleaner (or seems that way since I usually run my sound at the lowest setting, 8000-whatever khz).

So now I'm not sure which to play :p I know battery life will be about the same i.e.: pretty damn short... I guess the music is more accurate and more pleasant on the 'turbo' beta 7....

This is really great news for everyone who can't OC very fast and doesn't mind shortened battery life after all...

in other words, there IS a santa claus!!!!

Reesy, really great find... but did anyone actually test this on a GP that can't OC very high? Seems most people that tested it and got it working already had GP's that could OC pretty high. Hopefully after finding out why it was hanging at a white screen we can get someone with a 'slow' GP to try this.

I know most people were hoping for a miracle, to get 180+mhz speed at 133mhz battery life, but I dont care about that, what I want to see is if someone who can only clock to low speeds can run this STABLY w/o lockups.

Wow, just tried this out on my GP32 NLU 166MHz and it works great!

I tried it on Comix Zone and found exactly the same as Phoda:

On DrMD 2.0 (set to 166 MHz) I get ~17 fps

on this beta (set to 133 MHz) I get ~30 fps

it makes the game a lot more playable!

@edwardar: how high can you clock DrMD v2.0, is 166Mhz the highest you can go?

Reesy - for what it's worth, my GP will 'only' clock stably to 184mhz, but the performance in the hacked Beta 7 is definately faster by at least a few FPS. Probably more like 5fps considering that in v 2.0 I was running the sound at 8000-whatever mhz, which increases fps slightly, but obviously in beta 7 I'm running 16500.

If the 'estimate' of this hack running at approximate 192mhz is correct (makes sense with the faster speed I'm getting) then it does allow me to run a little bit faster than my GP could normally run stably w/o lockups.

Wish I'd gotten to try this before I did that pencil trick to my GP then I could be a little more help I guess :p truth be told 90% of the reason I even tried the pencil trick was to run DrMD faster... If I'd figured out how to get around that white screen problem with this hacked version I probably wouldn't have tried the pencil trick at all.

Reesy - sorry to be a pest really I am... about what I PM'ed you about, that graphics bug in Gunstar Heroes? now that I know for sure it's not a cyclone bug, by any chance have you had the chance to take a look at it?

edwardar posted on Apr 26 2005 at 08:43 AM said:
Reesy posted on Apr 26 2005 at 08:10 AM said:
@edwardar: how high can you clock DrMD v2.0, is 166Mhz the highest you can go?

Yes, I have never been able to go faster than this - my GP32 resets at 168MHz.

same here, but beta 7 won`t even load on mine :(

Reesy - small update... well, due to my GP tricking me (thought the 'pencil trick' was giving me problems but actually was just dead batteries), I just removed the pencil lead from my GP returning it to stock.

I figured... wow a perfect opportunity to test this beta 7 theory... well... damned if it isn't hanging at a white screen again. without the pencil mod, my GP will clock stably to 164mhz, and locks at 170.

So in my case at least, I can't run the hacked beta 7 w/o increasing the voltage to the CPU....

And I thought I was really onto something :(

Back