Dreamcast "STURMWIND" most beautiful shooter ever

I never said it was made for PCE just that i remember it from PCE but my point still stands, the concept would work well on Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
People have such good taste in games on this thread :) i know this is kinda slightly off topic as its not a pretty shooter but does anyone remember the game Saint Dragon on the PC Engine? It's hardly an oil painting but it had a really interesting game mechanic where you could use your movements coil the body and tail in many different ways to protect your Cyber-Dragon's vulnerable head, it strikes me that an original Pandora game based on this concept would completely kick ass! it was such a nice idea and i've not really seen it repeated since (at least not executed as well). I think something like this could work really well using Left Nub + buttons as controls, what do the rest of you think? my apologies for the slight thread derailment.
played it on my pandora on uae 2.o. very cool mechanic with the tail, I quite agree.

I never said it was made for PCE just that i remember it from PCE but my point still stands, the concept would work well on Pandora
Has this not already been done with the game Proto Type which is in the repo store on the pandora also xmultiply uses the same idea and Dragon breed both gaames work in panmame and mame 106 also uses the same mechanic ps monkfish i wasnt being twisted m8 was just pointing out and didnt mean to offend

Has this not already been done with the game Proto Type which is in the repo store on the pandora also xmultiply uses the same idea and Dragon breed both gaames work in panmame and mame 106 also uses the same mechanic ps monkfish i wasnt being twisted m8 was just pointing out and didnt mean to offend
No i'd say it hasnt already been done because i'm proposing a completely original game not just a kind of (very good) "remake" as is done with Proto Type and yes i'm aware of xmultiply, (i dont use 106 roms btw i use 110) but i'm suggesting something different from what already exists, let me outline some ideas below:

I'm proposing a game in which similar mechanic is used to Saint Dragon whereby your head can only take one bullet and will die but you can use the body to protect, however i'd say that the body segments could be upgraded individually (from between level shops in the style of Tyrian). Furthermore i'd say body segments can be gained or lost easily  as they wouldn't be indestructible as in Saint Dragon just more resiliant than the head (perhaps they have HP that recharges slowly over time). New segments could be gained by going over powerups (they would be "blank" until you reach a shop screen) or lost by being destroyed, if a segment is destroyed then a player would also lose all the segments behind it.  The guns on the body would be unchangable until the next shop screen however the heads gun could be more flexible and changed by power ups in the conventional sense, with different spray patterns and energy types, maybe even a defensive one which doesn't fire but instead increases the health recharge rate of your body segments.

i know this all sounds kind of complex but with the right dev i'm sure it would be doable and quite unique

I like the idea of this.

That Saint Dragon looks very familiar, think I must've played that a bit on the arcades in the past

Oops sorry Monkfish this is the game i was thinking of it actually incorporates what you say upgrading the tail its prototype2 only on windows good little game http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/Prototype2/Prototype2.html
Seems interesting but i dont play this genre of game on PC, as the interface is just too clunky for my liking, Prototype 2 looks like it might be one for the Pandora 2, if that ever happens. i'd have to see some gameplay footage to see what you mean about the tail (if its upgadable in the same way ie. each segment individually), but if memory serves then i dont recall any of the R-Type (or R-Type-type!) games having between level shops. Is the tail destroyable or just there to guard/shoot?

Oops sorry Monkfish this is the game i was thinking of it actually incorporates what you say upgrading the tail its prototype2 only on windows good little game http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/Prototype2/Prototype2.html
Seems interesting but i dont play this genre of game on PC, as the interface is just too clunky for my liking, Prototype 2 looks like it might be one for the Pandora 2, if that ever happens. i'd have to see some gameplay footage to see what you mean about the tail (if its upgadable in the same way ie. each segment individually), but if memory serves then i dont recall any of the R-Type (or R-Type-type!) games having between level shops. Is the tail destroyable or just there to guard/shoot?
The way it works is you can have 4 pods follow you kinda like slow inderstructible multiples or 3 circling your ship or 2like normal rtype as you collect different colored pods 1,2,3 guns appear on the tail and shoot forward or backward and yes if you choose the 4  section follow option its indestructable

ah so its more like a tail of R-Type style "Forces". Thats not quite like what i'm suggesting, in the idea outlined above the tail-pieces are destroyable and the direction of fire would probably be determined by the type of upgrade given to each segment rather than player positioning (eg some upgrades just fire forwards, others would fire in other directions or perhaps at 45* angle, some might even fire in the opposite direction to the last movement given dependent on the type and power of the gun) these upgrades would be bought using your score as currency between levels.

Sturmwind looks great :)

Good to see all this love for SHMUPS

IMHO the best shooter I've ever played is Dodonpachi for PS1 on Pandora. It's awesome, great graphics & audio, interesting scoring mechanic, good variety of ships, highly challenging but never unfair, tate mode, ability to set difficulty all combine to make a great shooter.

If you've not tried it then give it a go :)

Thats a good list!

top ten for me in no particular order (because they are all awesome) are as follows:

Blazing Star/Pulstar

Ikaruga

Gradius Gaiden

Einhander

Spriggan (PCE version)

R-Type II

Soldier Blade

RayStorm

Lords of Thunder

Tyrian (original mode is easy but Arcade mode is a beast)

there are so many more great shooters but i'd say these are my faves

My personal Top 10:

1) Thunderforce V (Saturn)

2) Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)

3) Pulstar (Neo Geo)

4) Blazing Star (Neo Geo)

5) Lords of Thunder (PC Engine CD)

6) Apidya (Amiga)

7) Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (PC Engine Arcade CD)

8) Nexzr (PC Engine CD)

9) Agony (Amiga)

10) Prehistoric Isle 2 (Neo Geo)

I also played Ikaruga and other graphically advanced shmups but i prefer more 16 and 32 bit titles.

Anyone into shooters should try Strikeforce a really great manic version of Defender with tons of humour and gameplay to die for tough as nails like all Williams games at the time but fair could loop it on 1 credit but not alot of people will be able to do that

Yeaaaah, loving these shooters!

Come on then, I'll add on a few more of my favs that are missing so far, in no particular order;

Forgotten Worlds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0JYLO6m78

Thunder Force IV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eqZ2pF4RgE

Hellfire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbREvuKJx4

U.N Squadron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWJtuAe_-s

Salamander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOxtPcat20

All greats

ah so its more like a tail of R-Type style "Forces". Thats not quite like what i'm suggesting, in the idea outlined above the tail-pieces are destroyable and the direction of fire would probably be determined by the type of upgrade given to each segment rather than player positioning (eg some upgrades just fire forwards, others would fire in other directions or perhaps at 45* angle, some might even fire in the opposite direction to the last movement given dependent on the type and power of the gun) these upgrades would be bought using your score as currency between levels.
It might be worth trying to make this game. Its not impossible. i'm working on a commercial game for the pandora atm. Its some ways off though, i hope to have a one level demo asap.

Its a 2d shmup with a mecha bot.

Just a shame some arcade controls made it impossible to play the game and have the same experience on a handheld or computer mad planets forgotten worlds tron sinistar star wars come to mind always wanted that press spinner control on my xarcade

Back